TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately, we have been 95+ here in Reno. I know the bike is getting really hot. How important is an oil cooler? Worth it?

Bart

·
Registered
269 Posts
Lots of TW's through the years have worked just fine without the oil cooler. The engineers who put the TW design together clearly accounted for operating heat in the specifications!

On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of TW's have died due to overheating. There is a big oil cooler thread here (I'm too lazy to search for it right now) where various folks give readings about heat with and without a cooler.

As I figure it, especially in the summer heat, the oil in a TW is running at a temperature that is very close or even over the point where oil degrades. The oil cooler can bring this down 15-30 degrees which makes the oil happy, which makes my TW happy, which makes me happy!

For the money, I think an oil cooler is cheap insurance for longevity of the TW.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Lzrdbrth, a member here on this forum has a nice cooler kit that is made in the U.S.A. I have one and love it! You might see if you can search him out on this forum and see what he is getting for his kit.

cooler.jpg

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Wow. EURO 592.50...

Eat a ham sammich, carry the 6... $777.07 before shipping!

That's a lot to spend on a Ruckus. Even a realy nice Ruckus.

(That was a joke, in light of one of your recent thread. lol. Humor. Levity. Frivolity....)

Honest. My flippin' smiley thingies won't work.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I live just south of you and it has been my practice to only ride in the mornings and leave the bike in the garage during the hot afternoons.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. EURO 592.50...

Eat a ham sammich, carry the 6... $777.07 before shipping!

That's a lot to spend on a Ruckus. Even a realy nice Ruckus.

(That was a joke, in light of one of your recent thread. lol. Humor. Levity. Frivolity....)

Honest. My flippin' smiley thingies won't work.
LOL, that was a good one. :) How about the oil cooler you supply?

I live just south of you and it has been my practice to only ride in the mornings and leave the bike in the garage during the hot afternoons.
You live just south of me or Lizrd?

Yeah, morning are perfect, but I usually ride to work, so that leaves me coming home at 5:00 when the heat is full blast.

Bart

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've always wanted to go to Japan, so send me the same 800+ bucks and I'll send you a post card (insert smiley thingy here). Seriously, my units cost a fourth of those, which was the entire point of creating them in the first place.

Your hollow mod's low pipe and stock tank open up a lot more real estate and a couple of mounting options not available to most.

Contact me offsite and be sure to provide a phone number so we can discuss whether one of mine is right for you..

l[email protected]

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, you're going to need a little more than $800 to get to Japan, that might get your LAX to NRT roundtrip but that's about it. ;) Seriously though, it is WELL worth saving up for and going. Airfare is actually the most expensive part of it. There are decent hotels you can stay at that aren't too expensive, and if you limit your first visit to just Tokyo you can avoid expensive internal trips to other cities (although riding a Shinkensen at lease once should be on everyone's bucket-list). I want to go back, and I think I could just go to Tokyo for a week or two and be happy, although Osaka is such a cool city, and Kyoto is well worth a visit as well. I also really want to explore northern and southern Japan as well, but I just can't imagine going to Japan and NOT going to Tokyo and/or Osaka.

Just emailed you.

Thanks- Bart

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah since staring my hollow mod i have been looking into a oil cooler. I want everything on my bike to be as good as it can so i probably will be getting one. But im in winter at the moment so no rush. Lizrdbrth can you ship one of your coolers to AUS?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts