TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a used TW200 for a while now, but they are practically non-existent in my area. So, I'm considering buying new. I didn't want to pay the price for a new one, but I think I found a fairly good deal. My "local" dealer (100 miles away) gave me a price of $4340 out the door for a new 2015 model. I've been saving up, so the price isn't an issue. However, this will be my first bike, and I don't want to spend too much. Do you all think this is a good deal, or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

that price would be in the fair range for high sales tax west coast states like Cali and Washington but you might want to share your location so people local to you can comment

In Oregon I know dealers selling new for $3600

Watch this forum because there are some incredible deals (including right now!!!) on late model "no-miler" TW's that will save you $1000 give or take a few bucks

Buying new tosses about $1000 to the wind in my opinion and after your first week of riding your bike will be exactly like the used low mile TW's on the 2nd hand market

The argument I often hear is that buying new gives you the warranty but this is possibly the most reliable and indestructible bike ever made so the warranty is not needed

·
Registered
666 Posts
I bought two TW new for nine thousand dollars. Included extended warranty, tax, fees etc. I suppose that when I walk into the Yamaha shop and they all yell "easy money" it's not a compliment. We purchased our bikes before I new anything of this forum. My loss. If I were to buy again I would buy used with some mods already in place, this is where you will get value. Dirts a Flyen

·
Registered
486 Posts
Last spring new leftovers at he dealer were selling for $800-1000 off MSRP
Right now almost new used are selling all over for $3000-3300
Don't pay more than $4000 OTD! Where are you located?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was forced to buy new as my location only had used 100s of miles away in all directions. Plus the fact that a lot of the time driving that distance just to see it would turn out to be not exactly what was pictured. Finally bit the bullet and bought new with the idea that even new was pretty damn cheap too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I personally drove 250kms to get my used low mile 2010 bike. But in my case it was a trade deal for my slightly older higher mileage DR650 that I had.

Still in my mind since I have a pickup. Driving a few hundred KMs for the right deal is not an issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat. Finding used in my area has been tough. The local dealer has a new 2010 but they want 4000 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
One thing worth considering is the time involved. Is it worth hunting around for 6 months to save a few hundred dollars? I think there is a case to be made for paying a little more and spending the next few months riding instead of shopping.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the input.

Don, I agree. Time is a big issue for me. Like most people, my work keeps me very busy. I don't have any problem driving to save some money, but I don't want to waste my time running around looking at bikes 3 to 4 hours away. Also, the handful of newer used bikes that I did find within 3 or 4 hours are still priced around $3000 to $4000.

I'm in North Central MS. Out of about 9 dealers within 100 to 150 miles only 2 of them even have a TW200 in stock. The other dealer who has one quoted me right at $5200 for a new 2015. Another dealer quiet a bit further away quoted me $4800 but will have to find one and said it may be a month before they get it. I've been comparing new prices online too, but those aren't always the actual prices. So, just wanted to be sure $4340 was as good of a deal as it sounds. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the input. This forum is great. I've already learned a lot about the TW200 from you all, and it has helped me to make my decision to buy one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Time = Money

One thing worth considering is the time involved. Is it worth hunting around for 6 months to save a few hundred dollars? I think there is a case to be made for paying a little more and spending the next few months riding instead of shopping.
Right on, IMHO. I started looking in late Feb so I'd have it to ride this summer. Bought new in March, been ridin' happily ever since. I spend carefully too but I didn't want to miss the use of this bike over the summer. Time is money, in more ways than one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anything over $4k is a waste. U don't need the warranty on a simple, indestructible bike like the dub. However, mods can be important if u like them. I like mine "naked". Not sure where u r but if you are near Ft. Myers, FL, u can get a 2014 for about $3200 new. Also, there are many riders that get TW's that wanted more power and speed and don't really enjoy the 50-55 comfy cruising speed of the Dub. I would look for a used bike that the owner admits he wants something bigger and more powerful and understands his ain't "NEW" anymore. Just rent a u-haul small truck and hit the road for cash in hand deals without being willing to walk away.
You can get an excellent bike for $2600 to 3k easy. Be patient and firm. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Let me just say that I've spent way too much on motorcycles over the last 9 years of riding. I have bought 26 bikes, ridden 90,000 miles and currently own two new Harley Softails and a basically brand new TW200 however I am very unusual.

What I've learned is that you always lose money on a new bike. You will always lose money on a new bike. My Kawasaki dealer tells me he knows that the double doors in his shop are worth at least $1,500.00 meaning that when he pushes your new bike through those doors you just lost that much money to those doors are worth that but in a negative way.

So, I recommend you look on Craigslist hot and heavy for the next month. Have cash in hand and a way to haul your TW and go after it. Look up to 250 miles away.

How did this work for me? Well, yesterday I hauled away a 2013 TW200 for $3,200.00 cash that has 66 miles on it. It's brand new. Never had a gallon of gas run through her.

The seller bought it new in April as a hold over from 2013 and the dealer wanted to dump it.

This bike will hold it's value for the next couple of years for me.

In my state I pay $25.00 in tax and I have a plate to transfer. Very cheap. Private party is the way to go.

Do not buy the extended warranty. NEVER.
Just saying.

That's my advice.

I've been looking for a used TW200 for a while now, but they are practically non-existent in my area. So, I'm considering buying new. I didn't want to pay the price for a new one, but I think I found a fairly good deal. My "local" dealer (100 miles away) gave me a price of $4340 out the door for a new 2015 model. I've been saving up, so the price isn't an issue. However, this will be my first bike, and I don't want to spend too much. Do you all think this is a good deal, or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What would be your top dollar on this one? I just found it on Craigslist. Again, I'm new to bikes and don't know a lot about their resell value. I've dealt with a lot with boats and 4-wheelers, but never any motorcycles. I checked Kelley Blue Book, and retail list for it is $1350. I've been in touch with the guy through email, and he's telling me it is well taken care of. I can't verify that, but it looks good. It's about 5 hours away. '89 model with 2650 miles.

Yamaha TW200

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
It looks to be a complete and unmolested TW, however the actual condition can only be confirmed in person. Personally, I would only be willing to pay around $900 - but I already have more than my share of TW's and I typically don't buy any bike unless I am sure that I could flip it and make at least a few hundred bucks on it. A fair price for this bike would probably be around $1,100 - $1,200.

Buying a TW really boils down to is this:

-Do you like the color and condition?
-Do you have the money for it?
-Would you be disappointed if you missed out on this one?

If the answer to these questions is Yes, then I'd say go for it. There will always be someone who finds a better deal than you. You can't go too wrong on any TW and a couple of hundred bucks will not be a big deal if it gets you out riding and having fun!

·
Registered
319 Posts
$1,800.00

That old of a bike has the older carb and drum brake on the front, right?

I'd stay away from it.

For $1,000.00 no problem.

Not for $1,800.00

It does look real clean though. In pictures.

Also, never buy an old bike with original tires, tubes, or batteries. You'll be replacing them all very soon.
That few of miles tells me it will need all three unless he replaced the battery due to age.

Offer $1,000.00
No more.
That's just me.

Keep looking.

Are you in a metropolitan area where you have plenty to choose from?

If you are in a state that has few folks you might have problems.

5 hours away? No way. Just me. Like I said and you know used 4 wheelers and such. It needs to be around 1K for you to do well on that.

What would be your top dollar on this one? I just found it on Craigslist. Again, I'm new to bikes and don't know a lot about their resell value. I've dealt with a lot with boats and 4-wheelers, but never any motorcycles. I checked Kelley Blue Book, and retail list for it is $1350. I've been in touch with the guy through email, and he's telling me it is well taken care of. I can't verify that, but it looks good. It's about 5 hours away. '89 model with 2650 miles.

Yamaha TW200

·
Super Moderator
17,987 Posts
Yeah, he's asking too much and it will need tires immediately to be safe. $1,200 max.

·
Super Moderator
17,987 Posts
Congrat's!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I appreciate all the advice. I ended up buying a new 2015 today like the one in the picture for just a bit over $4000. Now on to finding a rack and hand guards. Thanks again for your help.
View attachment 22047
Congrats, sounds like you did well. I bought my 2014 as a leftover back in March and paid 3850 plus tax and title. Enjoy your new bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts