TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got the hots for one of these bikes I currently have a DRZ 400 it's an Awesome bike but I hardly take it out anymore it's too muck bike for around my property I hardly ever get out of second gear . I need to slow it down anyway getting too old ..I also have a well Farkled Kawasaki KLR 650. I'm goal is to sell the DRZ and pick up a TW 200, Anybody downsized their rides and not regretted it ? I would love to hear your stories of how you ended up with the TW Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Started to age, racing days long over but still needed to ride. These TW's are a love affair, had I only known earlier... I even hop on mine to head down and get the mail! (At the end of the driveway!) :) You won't regret it.. They are fun and that's what riding is supposed to be about.

Hey I got the hots for one of these bikes I currently have a DRZ 400 it's an Awesome bike but I hardly take it out anymore it's too muck bike for around my property I hardly ever get out of second gear . I need to slow it down anyway getting too old ..I also have a well Farkled Kawasaki KLR 650. I'm goal is to sell the DRZ and pick up a TW 200, Anybody downsized their rides and not regretted it ? I would love to hear your stories of how you ended up with the TW Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I let my son take my WR250r and I kept the TW200 and VStrom.
If the goal is for slow off road exploration, the TW is the great.

I originally got the TW for my daughter to learn to ride, but I found it more fun on the trails then the WR.
I joined this forum, started modifying it, went to Moab and ....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Where do you live....let's see a pic of the DRZ .... I keep thinking I need one. Don't get me wrong, I love my TW and don't plan on getting rid of it, just keep thinking I might need a DRZ :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome DonA.

"Little" bikes are where most folks started, what ignited the passion to ride.
After the adrenaline years a fella tends to rediscover the roses as so to speak and the smell a LOT sweeter after having been seasoned through life experience.
Bikes like the TW make it easy to return to your roots.

Where you located ? a fella at work is in the market for a DR350 or DRZ400.

·
Registered
20,192 Posts
I got the TW primarily not to rip up my land and do not regret parking the other more rip-snorting machines of my youth. Nice to see and smell the flowers as I explore new sights, or revisit old haunts from the past that took many an hour of jeeping to arrive at way back then.
donA should not regret jumping into the world of T-Dubbery.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Anybody downsized their rides and not regretted it ? I would love to hear your stories of how you ended up with the TW Thanks
I haven't technically 'downsized' because I still have my Kawasaki Nomad bagger, but unless I know I have to take the interstate, I find I ride the TW200 almost exclusively now. LOVE the maneuverability and lighter weight. LOVE not being confined by blacktop. LOVE that if I drop this bike, I won't kill my back or my knees trying to pick it up again. <-- This is important to a 5'4" middle aged woman who isn't in the best of shape anymore ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Guy's , I 'm going to loose the DRZ I just don't ride it like it needs to be ridden .. And when I get on it I usually scare myself @63 don't heal like we use to, Getting over some bruised ribs as I'm typing this. The kLR I never plan to get rid of , Love that slow ,overweight, pig. I 'm really looking forward to the TW I've got my eye on a couple an 06 with 1200 miles for 2600, Five plus hours away,or an 2012 with 3k miles on it for 3100 two and a half hours away. I'm in Placerville Calif about an hour east of Sacramento I hour west of Lake Tahoe , Hey Mudd Please tell your buddy if find 's himself down this way I would give a screaming deal .on a well farkled DRZ

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
:p
Where do you live....let's see a pic of the DRZ .... I keep thinking I need one. Don't get me wrong, I love my TW and don't plan on getting rid of it, just keep thinking I might need a DRZ :)
I don't know if they make a 6" lowering kit for the DRZ so you could put a foot down Dette.:p I'm just teasing...it's not often that I can tease anyone else with height jokes.:D

You don't need a DRZ Dette, you just need a small foldable trailer or something that you can safely get the TW around on to the meet up rides.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I did have regrets. Actually it was practical NEEDS.

There are two major streets between me and my urban center region; one has a 45mph speed - and is clogged during business hours. The other is 65 mph right up to the city limits.

I live just outside the limits; the way things are laid out, I have about a four-mile traverse to get into a 35 zone. And on the TW, that was white-knuckle riding...a lot of the traffic is college kids; the favored/preferred vehicle for them here in the Treasure State, is a diesel Bro-Dozer pickup. With a switch to let them "roll coal" - fumigate pedestrians, bicyclists, owners of Priuii, or other persons they disapprove of, in a cloud of black smoke.

So they'd get on my rear end, and JUST RIDE. And yes, at the set of stoplights that mark the city limits, I did get hit. On the TW. Kicked it out from under me; we both went down in separate piles. The Bro-Dozer pilot was trying to show how manly he was by goosing the throttle to make the truck jump at me. It jumped too far, and MIster Big showed how manly he was - by fleeing the scene.

Amazingly, no damage to the TW. The hit was on the rear tire; and somehow it went down without breaking off a turn signal light. But...that was an indicator to me, that I needed something a bit more fleet to ride, even in town.

I now have a Vee-Strom 650 - and a Zero Electric. The Zero will do 80, and get there fast - it's up to the dragstrip that's Broadway West.

My needs are not others' needs; but that is what I have to work around.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did have regrets. Actually it was practical NEEDS.

There are two major streets between me and my urban center region; one has a 45mph speed - and is clogged during business hours. The other is 65 mph right up to the city limits.

I live just outside the limits; the way things are laid out, I have about a four-mile traverse to get into a 35 zone. And on the TW, that was white-knuckle riding...a lot of the traffic is college kids; the favored/preferred vehicle for them here in the Treasure State, is a diesel Bro-Dozer pickup. With a switch to let them "roll coal" - fumigate pedestrians, bicyclists, owners of Priuii, or other persons they disapprove of, in a cloud of black smoke.

So they'd get on my rear end, and JUST RIDE. And yes, at the set of stoplights that mark the city limits, I did get hit. On the TW. Kicked it out from under me; we both went down in separate piles. The Bro-Dozer pilot was trying to show how manly he was by goosing the throttle to make the truck jump at me. It jumped too far, and MIster Big showed how manly he was - by fleeing the scene.

Amazingly, no damage to the TW. The hit was on the rear tire; and somehow it went down without breaking off a turn signal light. But...that was an indicator to me, that I needed something a bit more fleet to ride, even in town.

I now have a Vee-Strom 650 - and a Zero Electric. The Zero will do 80, and get there fast - it's up to the dragstrip that's Broadway West.

My needs are not others' needs; but that is what I have to work around.
What a Butt Head ,Glad you and bike didn't get hurt ..I was courting the Wee for a long time ,It was too close to the KLR for me even though totally different , I think yo know what I 'm saying ,But the TW is so different I'm really looking forward to it ..

·
Registered
200 Posts
A TW and a KLR combo is a good ticket. The TW is a fun, relaxing, easy to manage bike that will put you in the ER too if you get nutty on one. They are about the best off road dick around trail riders made IMO. Before the TW I rode a Honda XR 200 another great bike but the TW is more fun for me. A very controllable and docile two wheeler. FUN, FUN, FUN! No neck snapping power band but they get the job done well.

It's a totally different animal than a DRZ. I'm 47 and have ridden all my life. Owned many bikes of many makes, models, and power both street and dirt. I can be a speed / power freak too but those days are less interesting to me now. I will always have a TW. Probably the most enjoyable bike I have ever owned. Something very different and somewhat unexplainable. Gotta own one and ride it for awhile (not long) to get it. Get your check book out and jump into the TW Cult. The TW God will reward you. Even if you are not a good boy...

DRZ's are great bikes too but what you are stating you are wanting I think a TW will be right up your alley. They really are great and fun bikes. My TW gets more attention than any other bike I've owned and always a conversational piece when it rolls onto the scene. I'm no attention hound either but it is fun buzzing down the road turning heads. Many probably think that kid is going to get nailed by the cops and then the helmet comes off.

Funny thing. My wife said I look like some juvenile punk on my TW. Had to straighten her out too and show her the average age of owners..... LOL! It does make me feel like a 13 year old again having so much fun. Fact!

·
Registered
425 Posts
When I got back into riding 2.5 years ago I picked up a DR 350. Great Machine. Did some work to it. I got a TW this spring, sold the DR and have not looked back. The riding experience is so much better. I am more connected to the bike and I enjoy the ability to look around a bit more when I ride. Sure I can't do 70 mph anymore, but who cares. I can see the real world.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hey donA! Welcome to the habitat of the greatest minds on earth regarding the MIGHT TW. I have two TW's. The first I bought from a guy about 200 miles away. It's an '87, the fastest year TW. I met him in the middle and rode his TW in a Walmart parking lot, then hauled it home. It has seen some rough use in its past. The skid plate, which is only a skid plate in looks, was bent and side cover broken and silicone sealed to almost prevent leaks. I have a replacement, just haven't gone to the trouble of doing the replacing. My second is a '99 TW. I bought it from a guy in Tucson AZ sight unseen. My brother lives in Tucson, so I had him ride it and check it out for me, and buy it. I hadn't seen my brother in about five years, so I did this on purpose, to force myself to make a trip to Tucson and pick up the bike. I also bought a '95 Dodge Caravan to make this epic trip. The TW fit in the Caravan with ease. Of course I took the back two rows of seats out. I bought two so I could teach my girlfriend how to ride. These TW's are the perfect bike for this. I'm no mechanic by any means, and I don't know why, but my '87 is faster, and rides better than my '99. There was an '87 TW on local craigslist for $650.00. It was only 45 miles from me, and I really wanted to buy it. I just couldn't find a reason to justify it. lol Best of luck to you. I think there is still a 2007 in Andover KS listed at 2100 bucks. Pics look like it's in good shape. Pics lie. Just sayin.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For me the TW is the PERFECT fit for my low speed short commute(irronically I didn't get it for me it was to train my sister to ride but she decided ridings not for her). It's also the perfect trail explorer that I get out on a few times a year. I don't regret down sizing from my previous DR650 at all. The DR was a far better do it all bike as it was competent at most thing but not great at anything. The TW is slightly more focused and a far easier ride off road. And for others That are lucky to have multiple bikes that's a good thing as the bike is just a more pleasurable riding experience for were I use it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts