TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Sig makes a good gun, just generally expensive. For me the 1911 is not the ideal carry gun, no matter who makes it.

Personally for me a EDC gun is a tool. It does not need to be fancy, it just needs to be reliable. Its going to beat beat up and scratched and worn from carrying it all the time. I prefer polymer striker fired pistols because they are lighter and don't have hammers and such that protrude from the gun. The ones i would buy are also reliable and reasonably enough priced that i don't care if they get beat up. If i spent a grand+ on a pistol that's a show piece not a tool.

I don't like the 1911 as a EDC gun for a few reasons. First being that its heavy. I like to carry concealed IWB and the 1911 with its hammer and safety can get caught on clothing etc on the draw. I also don't like safety's on a carry gun period. I should only have to do two things when i draw it, aim and pull the bang lever. I should not have to mess with a safety ever, or if you don't carry "cocked and locked" or "condition 1" pull back a hammer. Draw, aim, bang that's all that needs to happen. The other thing i don't like about the 1911 is that some have a tendency to misfeed especially with hollow point ammo. My brother in law carries a 1911 and he had to have a bunch of smithing done to the feed ramp to get it to feel hollow points. My M&P .45 will feed anything and cost a third of what that 1911 did. I have put over 2000 rounds thru that M&P and i have never even cleaned it and have not had a single malfunction.

I also don't feel a .45 is needed for an EDC weapon. 9mm is plenty of round and can be had in much easier to carry guns and depending on the gun carries way more rounds. I carry a S&W Shield chambered in 9mm as my EDC and its nice and small and compact and conceals very easily, it holds as many rounds as that 1911 does and will function with any ammo i put in it, its not picky. I would also choose a Glock 19 over a 1911 any day of the week, its also concealable, packs 15+1 and shoots like a nail driver and super reliable. The G19 is a very easy to shoot gun. I also like the Sig P320 and its modular design.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sig makes a good gun, just generally expensive. For me the 1911 is not the ideal carry gun, no matter who makes it.

Personally for me a EDC gun is a tool. It does not need to be fancy, it just needs to be reliable. Its going to beat beat up and scratched and worn from carrying it all the time. I prefer polymer striker fired pistols because they are lighter and don't have hammers and such that protrude from the gun. The ones i would buy are also reliable and reasonably enough priced that i don't care if they get beat up. If i spent a grand+ on a pistol that's a show piece not a tool.

I don't like the 1911 as a EDC gun for a few reasons. First being that its heavy. I like to carry concealed IWB and the 1911 with its hammer and safety can get caught on clothing etc on the draw. I also don't like safety's on a carry gun period. I should only have to do two things when i draw it, aim and pull the bang lever. I should not have to mess with a safety ever, or if you don't carry "cocked and locked" or "condition 1" pull back a hammer. Draw, aim, bang that's all that needs to happen. The other thing i don't like about the 1911 is that some have a tendency to misfeed especially with hollow point ammo. My brother in law carries a 1911 and he had to have a bunch of smithing done to the feed ramp to get it to feel hollow points. My M&P .45 will feed anything and cost a third of what that 1911 did. I have put over 2000 rounds thru that M&P and i have never even cleaned it and have not had a single malfunction.

I also don't feel a .45 is needed for an EDC weapon. 9mm is plenty of round and can be had in much easier to carry guns and depending on the gun carries way more rounds. I carry a S&W Shield chambered in 9mm as my EDC and its nice and small and compact and conceals very easily, it holds as many rounds as that 1911 does and will function with any ammo i put in it, its not picky. I would also choose a Glock 19 over a 1911 any day of the week, its also concealable, packs 15+1 and shoots like a nail driver and super reliable. The G19 is a very easy to shoot gun. I also like the Sig P320 and its modular design.
Would be open carry 80% of the time....I already own pistols and relvolvers that carry better without the footprint...I live in a very rural setting where open carry is very common...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Would be open carry 80% of the time....I already own pistols and relvolvers that carry better without the footprint...I live in a very rural setting where open carry is very common...
Are you buying a defense gun or trying to make a fashion statement?

personally i still wouldn't carry it. I personally don't believe any mass produced 1911 is a gun i can trust with my life. I have just seen too many failures to feed and stovepipe ejects to trust one. As a target gun sure, but as a defense gun no. I want my EDC to go bang every time i pull the trigger until its out of ammo.

Like i said before for me a gun is a tool. It does not need to be pretty or a match grade gun, it just needs to work without fail. In a self defense situation the person on the business end of my gun is not going to care.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you buying a defense gun or trying to make a fashion statement?

personally i still wouldn't carry it. I personally don't believe any mass produced 1911 is a gun i can trust with my life. I have just seen too many failures to feed and stovepipe ejects to trust one. As a target gun sure, but as a defense gun no. I want my EDC to go bang every time i pull the trigger until its out of ammo.

Like i said before for me a gun is a tool. It does not need to be pretty or a match grade gun, it just needs to work without fail. In a self defense situation the person on the business end of my gun is not going to care.
Opinion noted....this would not be my only 1911 platform....have owned 1911 in one or multiple shapes and forms for over 25 years...... shot a friends sig 1911 he other day and liked it...I try to purchase at least three firearms a year, and this is a possibility.... as far as fashion and tools I will carry what I like and use well...

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
But is the bullet mightier than the sword? Definitely!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Ya, 1911s are not a very reliable pistol. That's why it was the longest issued service side arm for the US Military (for damn near a hundred years and still in service today with some SOUs) and all auto loading pistols today pretty much copy it's basic design.

Sig makes a good product. I daily carry a Colt Delta Elite. It's a 1911 type pistol in 10mm. My other daily carry for hotter times of the year is a Sig P239 in .357 Sig. I think you will like (love) the trigger and accuracy of that Sig.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Idaho is way different than MA...
It sure is... Silly liberals run the show here and we are not gun friendly at all. Open carry around here while technically "legal in some areas" will pretty much get the cops called on you and who knows where to escalates from there given the fear of firearms we have around here from both civilians and police. I'd bet if someone open carried in a mall for instance they would be shot by the police.

The legal in some areas thing kills me because it's not defined by law anywhere. CC is pretty much what you have to do around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
DevilsAdvocate the 1911 in its current mass produced form does not have the greatest track record for reliability. From what I have read and heard it's a tolerance thing. The hand fitted guns of the past that were built by craftsman are reliable, those are the ones the military used and when they go on sale I want one just to have it if I can get one here.

Guys like yeager and places like Wilson combat have said the same thing. Yeager as insane as he is knows a lot more about guns than any of us and has seen a lot of 1911 problems in the classes he teaches and Wilson combat is probably the foremost expert in the 1911 these days, the say the same thing about mass production guns. I shoot with a lot of guys that shoot 1911's and they all have has reliability issues. My brother in law is actually sending his to Wilson soon ho have it refitted so it will be more reliable.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I suppose it's like anything else. There are the good, well made, usually more expensive items and then there is the cheap crap. My Colts have been flawless. I would imagine that Sig would be too. Hell, my Sig P239 was failing to eject right out of the box. Faulty extractor. Had to send it back and it's been flawless ever since. I have a couple of Taurus auto loaders and they have been flawless as well. Go figure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts