TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my 1987 tw304 and am thinking about going to an atv rear. Been reading all the old threads and it sounds pretty awesome but a little sketchy on the install. I guess the duro power grip is probably the best option. Any input is welcome. Not really interested in having one blow up on me, but probably ready to give one a shot. Thanks

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If you do mostly offroad I would not hesitate. I haven't put my atv tire on yet because I ride mine on the street more these days. The kaboom sees alot of dirt. The tw rear tire really sucks in mud and that is my reasoning for having the atv tire sitting by. Plus they just look awesome!

·
Registered
132 Posts
FYI I put a maxxis bighorn on mine and love it. When over inflating to mount it I mitigated the risk by putting about 5 tie downs on the tire radially. It took 90 psi to pop it on. If I did it again I would scrape sand or otherwise remove more material from the bead.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only thing I don't like about my Bighorn is I can't change the inner tube on the trail if I get a flat. I've read the threads, but still wonder if people put a ATV tire on without having to extend the swing arm. I extended mine and don't see how you could install a ATV tire without extending the swing arm.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ive got a Maxxis Ceros on my rear. BIG lugs but rides like a car tire on the pavement. I didnt extend the swingarm either, although i intend to for suspension purposes. As for flats, mine went flat while i was at work because apparently i pierced the tube when installing the tire. I didnt notice it until i went around a roundabout and the back end felt a lil odd. Also, changing a flat on the is impossible with an ATV tire because of the dimensions of the rim and bead. I read somewhere on here that motorcycle and cars rims both 14" differ to thwart putting a car tire on a bike. Not trying to discourage you but it isnt an easy task. It took 3 grown men to get mine on and a hydraulic press to release the bead when i realized i put it on backwards the first time. Oops!With that being said, im very happy with the results and am looking for a way to get a TW200 rear swingarm/wheel on the back of my XT350.

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
search in performance and customization for tire related threads, lots of them. Here is my quick two cents. Go for it
I got a Duro since it A) didn't seem to need swing arm extension and B) could be limped home @ zero psi after a flat.
Downsides? A) trimming of bead helps installation which is still a bitch. Heat and time are better safe installation aids than high pressure (<70psi)
B) Same stiff flat enduring sidewall is not as compliant as a BigHorn thus slightly inferior handling and ultimate low psi traction on rocks
C) Square profile feels initially odd as you transition from flat tread to sidewalls in corners.
D) Gearing changes advisable since tire is taller thus new longer chain and sprocket.
E) Fuel milage suffers significantly. I get 50 mpg with 13 tooth front sprocket and a 55 tooth rear (admittedly granny-low for my steep, slow trails)

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I love my Duro 26x8x14. I had the Yamaha dealer install it for me. It took them multiple high pressure inflations and a day or two sitting out in the California sun in order to get bead to seat. I ride at least 80% on road and have the stock swingarm. The Duro has such a stiff sidewall that I am pretty confident that I could limp out on it if I got a puncture off road. If I ever have to replace it, I will let the pros do it again.

100_3388.JPG

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go for it. My 87 will be mostly off road, probably don't need it for the stuff I ride but I like the challenge and the look is way cool. Is the duro the easiest as far as fitment goes? Kinda like that maxxis cerros too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Read some more old threads. The itp terracross 26x8x14 looks awesome too. Anyone currently running one? Sounds like that one definitely needs the bead trimmed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had to trim the bead on both the Duro and Maxis BH 2.0 to get them on.

My TW is designated off road only on pretty gnarly stuff with a 70T rear sprocket. I have since re-laced the rear to an 18 inch rim and have an MT43 4.00x18 both front and rear. The 18 rear did not change the great laid back feel of the TW one whit.

May seem kind of anti TW fat tire but then part of the popularity of the TW is that so much can be done with it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My atv rear beaded at 35 psi, with bead trimmed and bevelled in cool weather. The shop that mounted it uses purple slick hd lubricant. Any atv tire is heads and tails better than the stock tire for offroad. Im reccomending the STI black diamond ATX. Has decent flexibility, reasonably roound rofile, 1.125 inch knobby lugs. I have this on the front of mine right now and love it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would not hesitate to recommend the Duro. I was one of the first adopters and I've had it on now for close to 5k miles. I did have a nail puncture it and was still able to ride AND I pulled out the nail and put some slime in it and rode for another 150 miles. BTW, when I changed the tire out and put in a new tube, the tire went on with minimal pressure. I suppose it had stretched out a bit... I did put a larger rear sprocket and it brought the bike back to life for me. The tire is larger and heaver than stock. ZERO REGRETS.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Count me in the duro camp as well. I posted a thread on my install earlier this year and mine went on mostly drama free with a bead trim and some "special" lube... I did mine in march in mass in my heated garage without aid of the sun. With the duro I did not have to extent the swing arm, like others have mentioned I re geared to 14/55 to get some power back, fuel economy has suffered a lot. I have mine on a spare rim so I can swap back and forth when I want to easily.

Traction wise off road the atv tire cannot be beat. I did have to re learn how I ride since there is so much more available traction. Places you would want to spin the stock rear will sent you moving forward with greet haste with the atv tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts