TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After 50! years of riding everything from Goldwings to YZ250Fs and much of what's between - I'm seeing a TW, properly equipped, as a BDR rig. Cruising speeds of 55-60 are fine by me, so I don't expect the power rating to be a concern.

I do like riding standing up from time to time, especially in the rougher stuff. Can a 6'3" tall guy like myself set a TW up for standing comfort? After watching many videos of TWs few seem to stand when cruising or navigating slower sections. Why is that?

Your thoughts appreciated!

Lee Gross
Visalia CA

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
At 6'3'' you might be more comfortable transitioning from sitting to standing with the tall version of the Seat Concepts replacement foam and cover as well as 2" handlebar risers. I like the ROX or similar risers that allow rotation, moving bars forward can improve one's ergonomics.
I do a mix of sitting and standing in slower technical sections. The TW's ground clearance is compromised compared to the conventional off-road bikes that create most of the narrow trails you will encounter. As such sitting has its moments permitting your feet to either dab and lift bike over taller rocks, or else have feet in the air to avoid getting scraped up when in deep trenches where the TW's lower footpegs are already gouging the rut walls.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Yamaha keeps going through the alphabet on their MX bikes so wonder if you had a 2006 or earlier YZ250F. I still have a '81 YZ250G if only because it's graphics are just too pleasing to sell.
YZ250800wide.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies. They are helpful.

2003 YZ250F here. Your series of bike as pictured are wonderful. Real classics.

You didn't ask for the story but here it is, anyway. Bought it new in end of year 2002 to replace a YZ426F which was heavy to pick up on sandy MX tracks. Set the 250 up to race the new season in '03, in MN, but moved to CA, and for various reasons, stopped riding dirt. Periodic run-arounds over the years have 7.3 hrs on the meter. Just didn't want to give up on the racing idea.

Anyway, I have sons in OR and SoCal who have interest in doing the BDRs, thus my interest in a TW.

Depending on what I learn in this thread, I would consider trading the YZ for a TW, or something else capable of BDR running. Nothing larger than 500-650cc, been down the heavy pig path already!

Lee

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I'm 6 foot even with longish legs and longish arms, so our stance and reach are probably not too different. I use the Rox 2" Pivoting Risers set for about 1.5" rise and 1.5" forward. This is comfortable for me standing. I just don't do it much because I'm 71 and lazy. I just go slower through the rough sections. Of course if I'm surprised by a whoop-de-doo or a pothole I stand up in a hurry!

The TW's short suspension travel doesn't really lend itself to faster speeds in rough terrain, standing or sitting. We're mostly putt-putters......Fred excepted. ;) This characteristic also makes the TW less than ideal for a BCDR if you are trying to keep up with taller suspensions and more powerful engines. If not in a hurry, the TW will handle nasty sections as well or better than most Dual Sports. If you add a few teeth in back or lose one in front, it will go places a lot of those bikes can't because they have to maintain more speed or stall and/or get bounced off the trail.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Probably because we are a bunch of old farts and our knees are gone...not speaking for all of course:rolleyes:. Got told today my left knee cartilage is gone and the joint needs to be replaced. I asked for the bones cause I'm going to dry and frame them...we've had a few miles together. Going to wait until fall and rehab over winter. Sucks but we'll get through it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I stand quite a bit on and off road. Quite frequently just to let the blood run back into my ass!

Marty

·
Registered
66 Posts
The TW is a great little bike but you need to be realistic with what it is, low power and little suspension. It’s not true dual sport or adventure bike. I love mine for putting around on but it sucks on the highway and wouldn’t be good on long trail rides at speed. I ride a Husqvarna TE250 in the dirt so the TW is not ideal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 50 years of motorcycling never included a dirt bike. There was that one Honda 90 but that never taught me a thing about real dirt biking, so I never learned to stand up.

I was told that if a guy is old enough to go 55 mph on the street, and too old to stand up and ride, then the TW200 is just the ticket.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Lee, I think you will enjoy standing up on the TW, if only to stretch and ventilate a bit on those long rides to places like Balch Camp and beyond.
sign.jpg

We have questionable terminology like Dual Sport & Adventure Bike that in my mind conjures up a TW more than the bikes one normally associates with those terms. The TW can be fitted with a rack, loaded with a week's or more gear, ridden hundreds of road miles then still be comfortably capable on trails that would dump bigger heavier bikes. Most ADV bikes claim to be Off-Road capable but that means the perverted meaning of off-road meaning on a road, just not on a paved road. Term should be Dirt-Road. Sort of limits their potential for fun on a BDR route.
Most small displacement Dual Sport bikes seem to skinny seats that will have you standing more often and not planning those multi-hundred mile rides whenever possible. Not the best for a BDR.
Your new TW will allow you to poke along on BDR routes at a safe pace when loaded down and every corner is seen for the first time. The tall Seat Concepts Kit might make a big difference in all day comfort and add to the enjoyment.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Taller and forward bars, along with wide pegs and a higher seat, could be the ticket. Thank you!
Welcome. Looks like you're paying attention. As others have touched on, it's best to keep expectations reasonable. These are TRAIL bikes, not arena cross or touring bikes. However, they are a very capable starting point. When my friends first ride my loaner TW in the hills, they all comment on how surprised they are by it's ability to go just about anywhere. Poke around the forum for a while and you'll see a lot of commonality in accessories -- because they just plain work.

Having said all that, I'm 5'10" and spend a fair amount of trail time on my pegs. I think maybe the reason for your observation might just be the type of terrain you see TWs on most often.

I'm also prepping to do the OBDR route 5 in July. My buddy is 6'4" and will be using one of my TWs for the trip. Another tall buddy will be on a KLR (that will likely be over packed) and my 6'1" brother will be on a DRZ400. My prediction is that the DR will dominate and the TWs will be absolutely fine, just a little slower. The KLR guy will probably have to work harder because of the size and weight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
TWs have terrible small pegs and a crap low bend handlebar. Once you get some real pegs and a high bend bar on the bike it is possible to ride standing up, unless you are really tall. Then it becomes a torture test for you knees, back, and wrists.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All, great input and insights from each of you regarding TW use. Thanks again, and thank you for the warm welcome.

Fred, yessir, that's my backyard. We've lived here 17 years but have yet to go off pavement with motorcycles. Lots to explore! Good point too about terminology. I understand the concept of riding a big bore bike hundreds of miles to the trailhead, then switching to "trail" mode. Really skilled riders pull that off, but many end up in survival mode - which is not my current idea of fun. I didn't like picking up a 250 lb. MX bike when I was 40. I sure don't want to pick up a 500+ lb. adventure bike at 63.

I like your phrasing, "Your new TW" - sales background?? LOL.

Mistervelocity, your prediction of your upcoming trip sounds logical. I'm fine with the little slower part - that's the chapter of life I'm in. Less rush and more observation.

Next step will be to spend some time on a TW, imagining higher seat and bars. The ability to comfortably stand is not a deal breaker, but I think I'd miss the ability to do so. I'd like something like trials riders positioning, at least at times when navigating tougher sections.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Lee

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Thinking of a TW - why don't more riders stand up?

Now that you got all the practical advice out of the way. haha.

It's not so much of why I don't stand while riding as it is why I have to stand back up all the time. Here's a couple of my oldies but goodies videos of why one SHOULD (I believe should) consider a TW.

Obviously the TW is tough. It makes me tougher than I thought I needed to be. Good luck with your decision.

P.S. Also, the camaraderie within the TW community is great. More so if you don't look or participate in the Coronavirus thread. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's great admiral, thanks for putting it out there. Nice editing too, with the sonar ping, etc. A little good natured cussing and a lot of fun. Good stuff.

One thing I immediately find attractive about TWs is the LDTF (less-distance-to-fall) feature. :);)
Is there a sticker or patch that indicates such?

Cheers!

Lee

1 - 20 of 34 Posts