21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Standing up does put you farther a away from the scary stuff.
( If I see them in time I'll rescue snakes and spiders from getting run over) View attachment 205359
LOL. The fall tarantula migrations in the Sierra foothills are cool to witness. They look fearsome, but it's the black widows hiding under the grill that still give me the creeps.

Lee

·
Registered
665 Posts
There is a reason for standing on the pegs and it's not just because your butt gets sore. I'll reveal the answer momentarily, first I must give credit to Rider21. This guy can flat out ride. This is the guy that rides Sue's bike up some "Fred" hills that scares the living day lights out of us. Sue will tell me over the microphone that she 's not riding a particular difficult dangerous trail and that I can, after riding the technical section, return on foot and ride her bike up for her. On my way down the hill on foot I notice here comes, get out of his way, Rider21 on Sue's bike. What a nice guy, now I have to walk back up the hill! Don't think I don't let him know about it when I pass him walking up the hill as he is walking down to retrieve his TW. Each time he does these good deeds he leaves us with a small gem of wisdom. The advice he gave us was to stand up on your pegs through difficult sections in order to lower your center of gravity! We should thank him 'till he's better paid. Dirts a Flyen SanDue 🙄😀

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you do not want to buy new cables go with risers and tall ATV bars. I am 6'2" and found that with that combo I could stand comfortably on the TW. The ATV bars are narrower than Motorcycle bars, but on the TW I did not find that they inhibited the steering characteristics. I had the ATV bars on the WR, but went back to Motorcycle bars for better stability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here's a followup for those interested.

My local dealer has a lineup of small bore dual purpose bikes perfect for comparing: TW, XT, KLX230, KLX250, WR250. I spent some time yesterday sitting and standing on each, trying to envision riding each of them through sections standing up. My findings:
TW - felt small and pretty heavy when shifting weight back and forth when standing. That's the big tires I suppose. Made me want to sit down and let it do its thing.
XT - felt soft and looked "oldest" of the lineup.
KLX230 - felt like a softened up race bike. Seemed like a bigger TW, in some ways. I liked it.
KLX250 - didn't move me in any way.
WR - felt like a race bike - duh! Essentially the same as my YZ250F, would encourage higher speeds and looking for jumps/trouble!

I haven't made a decision, but the KLX230 was a surprise. Seemed to carry many of the positive TW traits (air cooled, simple, welcoming cockpit), with a dose of WR stand-friendliness and let's go get 'em feel. Ride reports are good, but as a new model, aftermarket parts are short.

Thanks again for your input and insights everyone. I'll make another visit or two to see if my initial observations hold up, and will let you know where I end up.

Lee

·
Registered
66 Posts
The great thing about motorcycles is there are so many different flavors for all different tastes and none are the wrong answer. I love my TW for what it is and always makes me smile. I’m 6’3”, 195 lbs, 43 years old and been riding true dirt bikes since I was 14 and street since I was 18 and my mom could no longer tell me no. For a true BDR off-road touring bike I know the TW isn’t the bike that would work for me or survive the punishment. And that’s not what I bought my TW for.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm 6'2" and like standing on longer rides, I'm built like the guy who are the brawny towel man, and as long as your handlebars are set up how you like, shouldn't be any issue riding standing up...

On the inverse side of this conversation, however, I would recommend you take a look at a seat concepts seat (new foam and cover), us taller/bigger fellar's duffs tend to benefit for those stretches we ride not standing up.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I liked the KLX 230 as well, but it lacks the fat ness that makes the TW superior for “Old Man” riding. The only comparable bike I’ve found is Suzuki Van Van 200. Fat tires make up for weak suspension and provide superior traction. There is a cost of unsprung weight however which limits over all performance. Never a race bike but a great slow speed unitwith a low center of gravity.
Say wouldn’t standing up raise one’s center of gravity, not lower. Been long time since I studied physics but.....
Other comparable would have to include Honda trail 70/90 with balloon tires but not so much.
I have messed up back n knees so I only stand up when I have to n try to avoid.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Good point Arbolmano., standing and raising your body's center of gravity raises overall c.g. of bike plus rider combination.
Center of gravity commenter could have elaborated that important issue was at what height the weight is applied, i.e. at seat level or at the footpegs. That does affect handling. I could go into the math that quantifies C.G. location but I think you all get the picture.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I never really thought about how much I stand up until I saw this thread. I really only stand up if I'm going through something rough and hard packed, mostly to see obstacles better....same thing as in high weeds. If I don't know the terrain and there's a chance I might sink I never stand. I also catch myself standing on an old railroad trail at slow speeds just to get better views left and right, looking for deer or other animals....or searching for trails I didn't know about.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts