TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This coming Saturday, July 12th, there will be another Wrench (but probably no) Ride beginning at 10:00am at my place in Pleasanton, CA.

The primary objective will be to replace Bananachunks' (George's) leaking base gasket. Elime (Tony) has graciously agreed to provide his experience and expertise to help accomplish this task. Anyone is welcome to participate, assist, observe, fetch tools/beverages, criticize and/or offer unnecessary and unwanted advice. Since we are not sure how long this project will take, there will be no planned ride unless there is sufficient interest.

If anyone has other TW projects that they would like some assistance with, or would just like to meet some other forum members, please plan on attending. (One bonus for this event is that the TW Traveling Trophy of Distinction is safely in Southern California, so no one has to worry about having to take that award home ;)!).

Let me know if you have any questions or need directions,

Brian

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ooo, this one sounds fun - count me in!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
bummer, i'm in oregon, driving home on saturday. i have a few maintenance issues i could use a bit of help on, but nothing as fun as a base gasket. all the best!

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
................Elime (Tony) has graciously agreed to provide his experience and expertise to help accomplish this task..........................
I have done it on two different TW's and it worked out well both times. I don't think that makes me an expert but I will give it all I have! Tony

·
Registered
814 Posts
You guys get all the fun. Wish it was closer. (Illinois)

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
You guys are fantastic. This helpfulness is what makes this Forum so great. Sorry I won't be there to get in the way as I, the full moon, and some granite slickrock have a prior engagement.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wish I could make it out for this one! any chance you guys all want to relocate to SLC....its hot and dry this summer, but at least its windy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay i picked up a tw200 several months ago, did not spark/run. Worked on it for a while and well life gets in the way. Work, Wife kids.

So i could easily send off to shop and throw money at it, but i would really like some help understanding electrical and how to do the most basic stuff oil change, clutch, chain etc.
I have never owned a motorcycle, i am eager to learn, would this be a good day for me to come on down?

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Norm,

I can't guarantee that we can fix your electrical problem but we can sure try to help you find out what is causing it and may also have the parts needed to fix it. For all the other mechanical stuff, we are well equipped to both show you and assist you with these tasks.

I think this would be a great opportunity for you to learn more about your bike and maybe even get it back on the road. What year is your TW and where are you coming from?

Brian

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hi guys, sorry I will not be able to make the wrench and probably no ride. Stuck at work with no one to cover for me this time. I would sure like to be involved in Georges base gasket job as this could be in Fugly's future. Norm's situation would be another interesting project. What other jobs are on the schedule, and who all am I not going to be able to meet with on Saturday? I will be waiting for the "wrench" report. Have fun guys.

Joemama

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Got the engine cleaned up a bit in preparation for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is my monster's "birthday"! 2400mi when I got it, almost 7200 now!

Can't wait to be leak free!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
have a good wrench!

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here's the garage and lift all setup and ready.

Tony (Elime) and George (Bananachunks) tearing into the top end of George's bike.

George keeping a close eye on Tony's work.

Tony checking his notes while Norm (Steelynorm) and George look on.

View attachment 8005

After having to deal with an incredibly stubborn cam sprocket bolt the new base gasket went on uneventfully and here are the guys buttoning everything back up.

View attachment 8006

Mission accomplished!

View attachment 8007

Taking a test ride.

100_4257.JPG

Admiring their work.

View attachment 8009

George headed for home with a new base gasket and the confidence of an exclusive Wrench & Ride 90/90 warranty (90 seconds or 90 feet, whichever comes first :D !).

100_4259.JPG

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Home! Rode and felt normal/great! Hopefully no more oil on the garage floor... Interesting seeing how the cam tensioner works, as well as seeing what my bike's guts look like.

Once again, many many many thanks to TW-Brian and elime! And good meeting Norm!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts