TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right gentlemen and ladies. I have a woodpecker trying to destroy the boxed in cedar posts on my front porch. I spent a lot of time salvaging that old porch...but I also like woodpeckers. She Who Must Be Obeyed has ordained that he must go, with all due speed. I tried an owl decoy. He uses it as a latrine.

The little lady has pointed to the Sheridan Blue Streak in the corner and made shooing motions with her hands. (Great guns those Blue Streaks) I don't want to shoot him. I'm not even sure it's legal. Even if it is, I don't want to shoot him. But he needs to change venue.

I know this is a green light in traffic to you jokesters, but I need some serious suggestions rather fast. He is trashing that cedar rapidly, and he doesn't just pick a spot.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I got nothing, they come for unknown reasons and leave when their done.
And it's not that they sense insects. We had one that visited the neighbors horse pasture gate. That's right a metal gate. Daily pecking, for the summer.
Maybe a cat or dog sic'd one it?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
To be serious, which I am no good at, I would be concerned about what it is that they found. It is possibly carpenter ants, bees etc.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
To be serious, which I am no good at, I would be concerned about what it is that they found. It is possibly carpenter ants, bees etc.
I think they like the different sounds the can make with different things.
My friend and home builder wouldn't build me a log house because of them.
He has T1-11 siding on his house. Full of holes. No insects. So he told me vinyl outside wood inside.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I go out there and start taking admiration pictures I will get shot with the Blue Streak. My dogs don't care about him either. Too busy mouse hunting in the pasture. No sign of insects in the cedar.

Wonder if he'd go for a woodpecker pecking post...kinda like those cat clawing tower things.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Pecker Wood.jpg

The above photo is from the Big Dog Adventure Site....giving credit{or blame} where it is due...like you, I have a backyard full of birds and squirrels, that keep the grey cat entertained, and I don't kill off any of them...stopped hunting years ago.....but it seems that Big Dog's buddy Scott aka: Dingweeds, opened his new "Get Away" last spring and the woodpeckers were moving in....they used mouse traps to dispatch the critters....I would find, if possible, a more humane treatment, but this appears to be the solution if desperate: :eek:

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Good fish and wildlife article, it is a territorial display. Possibly he can be convinced to drum elsewhere in his territory by balloons or some method that still preserves pretty posts appearance. I thought of something odoriferous like moth balls, or Pine Sol to discourage my pecker-heads but have yet to try anything. Good luck. Is harassing wildlife a legal option? Air-soft pellet gun would not hurt bird nor post and would help maintain handgun proficiency. I got my mother a paint ball gun to discourage deer from her yard and the neighbors never complained about the purple spotted deer afterwards.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Most likely after carpenter bee larve. Big problem down here in Tennessee. I know last time i was in Northeast Indiana (about a year ago) you guys have them now too. Sure you don't have what looks like perfect 3/8" holes drilled in this post? Big problem down here with all the log homes around. They attacked my wood decks really bad, until i put up traps and catch most of them now. The bees drill the holes (and tunnels sideways) then, lay eggs, larve hatches and this crawling sound is what attracts the woodpeckers, which aren't neat in how they get to them!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope, no bees in the porch cedar. They are drilling up the yellow pine rafters on the barn overhang instead. I enjoy shooting the bees with a Daisy Buck BB gun I modified with a "Chief AJ" style full size buttstock I made. Life's little pleasures. The pleasure not really being killing the bee, but occasionally hitting one.

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Borneo, the return of your humor is much appreciated. Bird canon indeed! Truly men are from Mars and women from Venus. Viva la diferance!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Airsoft gun that shoots the small plastic pellets is my suggestion. It won't feel good to the little pecker but won't do any permanent damage either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts