TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking around at several DP bikes and talking with my brother who has a DR 200 and DR 350. We found a used 2014 TW with 224 miles. The guy put a moose rack on it and slip on exhaust, smaller rear sprocket, and different bars. He and his son had a pair of TW's but decided to move up to bigger BMW ABikes.

His loss is our gain. Silly me I bought it with out riding it. He started it up and it sounded great and I neglected to jump on and take it for a spin. I saw the exhaust and asked if he had rejeted it and the answer was yes. So I took it home road it slowly around my street and everything seemed great, but the next day took it for a longer ride and realized the carb wasn't right.

After reading lots of posts here I decided to check the carb to see if the plug was removed from the pilot on the carb, it wasn't. All the symptoms pointed to a lean mixture. I removed the plug on the carb and the pilot screw was screwed all the way in. So I backed it out 2 turns and it runs great. I will fine tune it later after more riding but had to see if it fixed my problem which it did.

Thanks to all of you that have posted all the great carb tuning info and TW stuff.

We bought this bike looking to cruise around back roads in the SoCal desert and trips to Utah, etc. I just saw something about a TW thing in March at Moab. I am going to make plans to be there.

We are going to try to get another bike later after saving up . So we will do easy two up riding for now. Are there any two up riding threads? I haven't had time to check yet.

Thrilled to be part of this group and a new owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Welcome aboard Tweaker. Too much information here to list but not sure of a thread dedicated to two up riding. Plenty of couples have done the two up thing without any issues though. Again I speak for us all when I say we are glad to have you. Congratulations!

Tom

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on the '14, same year as mine and best color scheme in my opinion (save for some custom jobs I've seen on the forum)

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome! Congrats on the '14, same year as mine and best color scheme in my opinion (save for some custom jobs I've seen on the forum)
Hey thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I too think it's the best color scheme.

Also now I need to spend hours deciding on what oil to use for it after reading some threads LOL. Maybe the rotella 5-40w syn?

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I can tell how excited you are from the way you were shaking taking that picture.:D

...Or maybe it's because I don't have my glasses on. I don't wear glasses.

Anyway welcome and I'm sure you'll like it even more as time goes on.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hey thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I too think it's the best color scheme.

Also now I need to spend hours deciding on what oil to use for it after reading some threads LOL. Maybe the rotella 5-40w syn?
Change the oil now and regularly, every 500 miles until you get to 2000 or so, using conventional dino oil. Then, switch to synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
After a couple thousand miles on it with dino oil, change it to Mobil 1 4T racing oil. It's the best!!

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Welcome.
Perhaps go back to seller and try to get stock exhaust, handlebars and any other "gimme" before he regrets the sale. Stock parts may come in handy sometime. Feels good to later help someone in need.
No Two-up specific threads I know of, but is is a very good idea. Start one perhaps?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome to the forum my man. You're going to enjoy the hell out of that bike. Too bad there aren't many aftermarket accessories that you can fix it up with!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did get all the stock parts and may put the lower rear sproket back on or even do the double rear thing.

Reactions: plumbstraight

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Tweaker, by fate you have found the best folks that ride two wheels guaranteed. Any question, the answer is here. Glad you are going back to stock gearing to start out with. There is a lot of talk about that and in reality it seems the engineers got it right for the best of both worlds, that is light use in the dirt and rocks with light hills and good highway performance. I am lucky enough to have a few of these incredible two wheelers and have one set up for the hills and one for the highway. Moab is for the lower gearing. You just keep reading and asking, by the time you get to Moab in March your bike will be set up perfect. Gearing, hand guards and a heavier engine crash plate are the best mods to begin with. I ran stock this first year and came back with out any problems. After going on another run and dropping down with 5more teeth on the rear really made a difference for the slow crawl.

Welcome to the wonderful TW forum, best forum on the web.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was all stock except rack in MOAB and with weight of my wife and I , I had to slip clutch a little more than I like too, Clutch started to feel grabby when the engine got hot but once cooled was OK.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts