TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I’ve been restoring an 87 tdub and the only piece of the puzzle I’m missing now is a gas cap. I really don’t want to spend 115 on a cap when I only spent 250 on the bike. Anyone know of some alternate caps? I’ve searched here but all the threads are 8+ years old and the sellers listed have either run out of stock or what have you. Thanks and stay safe

·
Super Moderator
5,265 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
Title says it all. I’ve been restoring an 87 tdub and the only piece of the puzzle I’m missing now is a gas cap. I really don’t want to spend 115 on a cap when I only spent 250 on the bike. Anyone know of some alternate caps? I’ve searched here but all the threads are 8+ years old and the sellers listed have either run out of stock or what have you. Thanks and stay safe
You'll find one. 87 Great year!! The fastest year!! Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I just had to see if this gas cap was any good so I bought one.

It shipped from China on May 21 and I got it today, June 1 -- not bad considering it came half way around the earth by the slowest means commercially possible.

Biggest complaint is the smooth edge making it a little difficult to grasp and twist on or off. Also the chrome sheet metal cover is crimped on -- I wonder how long it will be before it falls off?

But the good news is it fits the old style large TW gas tanks. I show it on an XT350 tank. It is well vented so in the event of a "fall over" one most likely will have to upright the bike quickly or risk losing a lot fuel.

Overall impression so far it is worth the $5.70 and wait to get it.

View attachment 105409
View attachment 105417
View attachment 105425
View attachment 105433
View attachment 105441

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I installed the XT350 tank on my 2012 all my research led me to the generator gas caps because the OEM are crazy expensive. I bought a couple different generator gas caps and just wasn't happy with how they sealed. I ended up getting a locking one from HVC Cycle Still not cheap but half the price of the OEM. I'm very happy with the fit and quality. I was also able to swap the lock cylinder from my 2012 into the new cap so I only have to carry one key.

Yamaha FUEL CAP WITH KEYS 48Y-24602-00-00

Reactions: Rider21

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Sorry for the late reply I’ve been at work. I normally just lurk reddit but found this gold mine of a forum and immediately joined.
thanks! Super excited to be here. It’s like Reddit but only for tdubs lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m supper happy with my HVC cycle cap. The fit is good and tight and I don’t have any gas leaking around the seal like I did with the generator caps. I needed two one for my bike and for my girlfriend’s bike so I cut out the middle man and ordered directly from them and got a bad ass Yamaha T-shirt for free.

Reactions: Ken

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Did you find a cap yet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts