TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a video of a Florida homeless man living on the street in Sarasota. His name is Donald Gould. He is a 51 year old U.S. Marine Corp Veteran. When he got out of the service, he wanted to be a teacher of music. He went to Spring Arbor University in Michigan and was 3 credits away from graduating when he ran out of money. He worked odd jobs while starting a family. They had a son, and then his wife died and he spiraled downhill in depression becoming an alcoholic and drug user. His son was soon taken away because of his problems.

In Sarasota recently they began a program called the Keys Piano Project where they place donated pianos along the bustling sidewalks. One day Donald happens upon one of these pianos and starts playing everything from Billy Joel to Bach. Someone posted a video of him on the internet and his life is about to change.

Listen below to this gentleman play:

As I watched this, it made me think about the gift's that God placed in me and gives to every man and woman. I pondered, was I using them to the best of my ability? If I had, could it have helped someone? If I hadn't, because I was ashamed of God, could it have hurt someone, when I could have helped if only I wanted to?

Important questions for all of us to ponder, right?

He gave us each our own special gifts to use. We will stand before Him someday and give account for those gifts. Did we use them wisely? Did those gifts bear fruit? He gave us so much and paid the Ultimate Price to do so, for us. I don't want to Stand Before Him on That Great & Terrible Day with nothing to show. Do you?

A small poem that has always touched my heart from long long ago.

One life to live,
Twill soon be past.
Only what's done,
For Christ will last.

Dear Lord, bless this homeless man, touch him, forgive him and renew his life and make him whole again. In Jesus's name, amen.

Is not the whole of the Gospel summed up so simply into just two things?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Sarasota County Florida,{Venice} where I grew up(1953-63) times have changed down in that neck of the woods....:(

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
LT,

I got wonderful goosebumps watching that man play piano. Thank you very much for sharing that! I got even bigger goosebumps once I read your post. It is a terrible feeling when we begin to question if we have lived up to God's expectations. I think of this often so I know sleep will come a little harder tonight. Thanks for that:confused:

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LT,

I got wonderful goosebumps watching that man play piano. Thank you very much for sharing that! I got even bigger goosebumps once I read your post. It is a terrible feeling when we begin to question if we have lived up to God's expectations. I think of this often so I know sleep will come a little harder tonight. Thanks for that:confused:

Tom
Tom my brother, it's good for us to think about real things once in a while. All our idle chit chat won't count when we stand before God.

I REALLY don't want to stand there; Naked And Afraid Before Him; and try to explain why I didn't use my gifts and talents that He gave me and have nothing to show for it. Believe me, neither do you. Don't wait until it is too late.

I have edited the original post above, so you may want to review it again.

Tom, even the poor homeless piano man has enough sense to use his gifts. Somehow, I believe, he, will be able One Day To Stand Before God, Forgiven and Whole again. After all, he used "his" gifts to reach out and touch others; and they did.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you are out and about enjoying yourselves this weekend for the 4th of July, take an extra sandwich with you or a couple of bucks to help someone just like this homeless U.S. Marine Veteran.

Thanks Guy's and Gal's. You CAN make a difference. Have a great 4th and don't forget those who paid the price for our freedom.

God Bless,
littletommy

·
Registered
470 Posts
Reminded me of Nathaniel Ayers. Maybe everybody already knows about him, but just in case, he's an extraordinarily talented and frequently homeless schizophrenic man. There was a movie about him called The Soloist.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The owner of the restaurant said the problem isn't him playing and making tips, it's that he takes the tips down the street, buys his booze and drugs, then comes back loaded and tries to make more tips. It's a shame what drugs and booze will do to a person's soul.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The owner of the restaurant said the problem isn't him playing and making tips, it's that he takes the tips down the street, buys his booze and drugs, then comes back loaded and tries to make more tips. It's a shame what drugs and booze will do to a person's soul.[/QUOTE

My heart goes out to the guy. His body is so wasted away because of the booze and drugs. When you are that far down in the pit and in bondage to drugs and alcohol only the Lord can help. At one time of my life, I was in bondage to alcohol and drugs, there was no way out. I couldn't help myself and wanted desperately out from that lifestyle. I dared to trust the Lord one day back in 1971 and simply said: "Lord, if you are real, come into my life, take me off drugs and alcohol and help me". In a fraction of a second, He came into my life, delivered me and set me free and I was never the same again. I will never forget that wonderful day that Jesus came into my life and I am so thankful that he did.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts