TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0705.JPG IMG_0065.JPG
Last thing I thought before I hit the dog in the road. I had no clue how right I was. Have a ton of things I'm thankful for though.

1. shattered my knee and not my neck.
2. shattered my knee and not my neck.
3. A great Dr. happened to be on call.
4. Was dressed for the occasion. No road rash and gloves saved my hands.
5. I could go on, had disability and health insurance! A job I could go back to while I'm still hobbling around and an ex who was kind enough to take me in till I was through the worst of it.

Tw dub bent the clutch handle, broke the speedo housing and the rear blinker. Glad I was there to take the brunt of it, one tuff little bike. Little love and she started up the other day.

Looking forward to getting back on her. Seriously thinking I may stick to the trails and stay out of the concrete jungle. I know there is other wildlife out there but i can't imagine if the dog had been a car. Just now getting to where when a motorcycle goes by I see the bike and not just the extremities hanging off of it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Glad your are ok and getting better.

·
Super Moderator
18,137 Posts
Hope you are up and riding soon bro!! :D

Reactions: Ken and admiral

·
Registered
736 Posts
I only hit a dog once before. I was just leaving town for a BMW rally, bike all loaded down. The dog came running from a big yard ,taking an intercept angle..I tried to get ahead of him but he still got in front of the tire..didn't kill him but Im sure he was hurtin

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Ouch! The only pavement crash I ever had on a bike was caused by a tire biter dog. I had just picked up my GF and was accelerating away from her house and the neighbors dog darted out from behind the hedges right in to my front wheel. Bike went down and I had a little road rash but my GF took the brunt because she was in shorts with flip flops. Her parents took her to the ER and banished me from ever seeing her again. She got scraped up pretty bad and had a lousy summer but at school a week later she told me her brother had the same exact thing happen with that same exact dog just a week earlier while riding his bicycle. WTF?

I am a dog lover but felt no sorrow over killing that SOB dog. When the owner came out screaming at me I told him to go F himself and had to tend to a very hurt gal and a wrecked bike and the cops came and issued him a ticket. Too bad back then there was no such thing in our town as a leash law.

Heal well and fast HH but I can tell you from experience you don't yet know the half of the hurt you will have when you hit your 60s and get reminded of it every day after arthritis sets in. I sure hope that dogs owner has a good home owners insurance policy because I would be suing the living shit out of him.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you are recovering. LuvNot had a good point about instincts and I will add listening to that still small voice to save you. I was riding when a dog cut into me and I heard that still small voice say (What if it hits your foot?) I picked my foot up, felt the impact, wobbled but no crash. Heavy traffic all around, a two lane road with heavy traffic. I slowed, recovered my thoughts and continued going. Looking in the rear view mirror the dog wasn't so lucky. I didn't know my bike was damaged until I nearly got home. I went to shift and there was no shifter. Pulled over, it was only bent. Bent it back enough to make it home. Had I no heard (What if it hits your foot?) I'm sure my foot would have been shattered. Thank God for my Angel.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
David L. Hough has a bit about fooling dogs by radically changing the intercept angle: Slowing way down then accelerating hard...I can tell you from experience that it won't work on a TW!!!! :eek:
My current strategy is to brake as hard as possible and stop (barring heavy traffic behind). If the dog is close he may overshoot, if he is 20 feet away you can probably stop in time. Then I scream NO at him and don't move again until he loses interest. If he were to actually bite me then I would shoot him. :mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the well wish's! It is pretty easy to be positive about it, I can think of a hundred ways this could be worse.

No, I did not have on knee guards. I did have everything else. Ground down the knuckle guard on the gloves. Glad I'm not living with a mangled hand also.

I was only going about 45mph when I saw him. Had it shut down to about 10 and thought I was just going to miss him. No such luck. Guessing he was probably 70 lbs. Between the momentum stop from the hard braking and then hitting him, I went over at about a 45 degree angle. Not sure if the dog made it or not. He wasn't laying in the road next to me. My buddy that came to get the bike said it had crap on the front tire. Happened in a rural area but, no one living in the immediate area was missing a dog.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
That Sucks. Hope you heal up and get well soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts