TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I am not looking for any sympathy. Motorcycles are my principle hobby (and to be honest, they are an addiction) and I am fortunate to currently own 8 bikes, 6 of which are licensed for street use. I will also admit that I am not the best financial manager and rarely even look at the motorcycle insurance statements that I get in the mail.

However, after following a recent thread in which some of you reported what you were paying for insurance, I decided that I would actually look at the next statement that I received. Today I got a statement from State Farm for the next 6 months coverage for my 2005 Yamaha TW200. Here is what I am currently paying for:

Liability Coverage 100K/300K/50K ____________________ $12.98

Comprehensive $100 Deductible ______________________ $26.83

Total _____________________________________________ $39.81

That seems reasonable so far, until you see what comes next!

Uninsured Motor Vehicle Coverage 100K/300K ___________ $36.82

Uninsured Motor Vehicle Property Damage Coverage ______ $ 7.62

Total _____________________________________________ $44.44

Grand Total _______________________________________ $84.25

It appears that I am buying the same liability coverage as I have for essentially 3 other uninsured, deadbeat drivers that I do not even know! Throw in the vehicle property damage coverage for these deadbeats and more than half of my payment goes towards uninsured motorists.

I understand that uninsured motorists are a problem, and it is important to have additional coverage to protect yourself against them, but this seems to be a bit extreme to me. Is this just a California thing, a State Farm thing, or do I just need to be a better shopper for vehicle insurance?

Rant over.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Thats how it is for me as well in SC but it's worth every penny in my opinion. There will always be some asshats that make our life harder by living on welfare with no insurance and making bad choices everyday blaming everyone but themselves for their problems. It's just a part of life. Unless you want to be one of them you just have to suck it up and pay extra for those rare times you may need it. The worst part of this whole thing is that if you have it you will probably never need it and vice versa. My point being... I feel ya brotha!

·
Registered
445 Posts
That seems a little high to me, at the least you should be getting one major multi police discount for the 6 street bikes. It wouldn't hurt to call your agent and/or spend some free time getting quotes from other companies just to see. That may be a good rate, but it may also be an old rate that they haven't lowered or readjusted since you haven't asked them to recheck your policy.

Also a chain or cable and a padlock counts as an anti theft device for a motorcycle, that gets me a $15/year discount.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hey guys, don't complain. I just got my renewal. TW 200, third party only!! Uninsured Motor Vehicle Coverage & Uninsured Motor Vehicle Property Damage Coverage is not even available here. Yearly cost $333.12 for just one TW 200!!!!.

Keeping in mind that I have insured with the same company both my TW 200s, Dodge Durango, Isuzu Rodeo and my house, incl. hurricane insurance. I just hope I never need to claim. Not sure they would be able to pay.

Hope you feel better now regarding your premium.

·
Super Moderator
17,932 Posts
A phone call only takes a minute. You guy's should call Geico at: 1-800-841-3000, I have always found them cheaper than any other motorcycle insurance. I had a friend call them after I told him about Geico and he saved about $250.00 a year on his car and motorcycle. Needless to say, he was very pleased. I have used them for decades and they were always cheaper. Just sayin...call and see for yourself.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A phone call only takes a minute. You guy's should call Geico at: 1-800-841-3000, I have always found them cheaper than any other motorcycle insurance. I had a friend call them after I told him about Geico and he saved about $250.00 a year on his car and motorcycle. Needless to say, he was very pleased. I have used them for decades and they were always cheaper. Just sayin...call and see for yourself.

Tell them to branch out to the Turks & Caicos Islands. They can make a fortune here. All our insurance companies have the same rates.......all of them!!! What a coincidence, isn't it?!?!?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Uninsured motorist coverage, at any cost, is worth it here in Newer Mexico where about 40% of drivers are here illeagly and uninsured! You HAVE to cover your own ass here. Nuff said.

PS i'm with GEICO for about $16 per year, with 2 other bikes, one with full coverage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
just be glad your not in Michigan, they make us pay a little less than 200 for catastrophic claims. and they charge you that on every vehicle you own. so you cant really get affordable insurance here.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
just be glad your not in Michigan, they make us pay a little less than 200 for catastrophic claims. and they charge you that on every vehicle you own. so you cant really get affordable insurance here.
X2................. It sucks big time... And my wife and I own 4 bikes and two trucks and one car.......... OMM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
X2................. It sucks big time... And my wife and I own 4 bikes and two trucks and one car.......... OMM.

I hear you, I have two cars, two bikes, plus my wifes car and our sons car. we pay six times for just three drivers. I wish they would just charge us yearly for a drivers license, and get it once from every driver.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate this no fault ins. I was rear ended last weekend and it was his fault, but I have to pay $500 deductible.....OMM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate this no fault ins. I was rear ended last weekend and it was his fault, but I have to pay $500 deductible.....OMM.

If you contact the Insurance co. from the guy that hit you, they may agree to get your car fixed with no Money out of your pocket. My wife and I were hit by a guy from Progressive. We got one estimate and they paid up very fast. They also paid for a rental. We never spent a dime out of our pocket.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If you contact the Insurance co. from the guy that hit you, they may agree to get your car fixed with no Money out of your pocket. My wife and I were hit by a guy from Progressive. We got one estimate and they paid up very fast. They also paid for a rental. We never spent a dime out of our pocket.
That's what we are doing. (o; I just hope it works out.. The estimate was $533.oo.. Go figure. My agent was the one who told me about it.......... OMM.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey guys, don't complain. I just got my renewal. TW 200, third party only!! Uninsured Motor Vehicle Coverage & Uninsured Motor Vehicle Property Damage Coverage is not even available here. Yearly cost $333.12 for just one TW 200!!!!.

I can't imagine how they assess risk on Provo. It's not like there are 100 TW's kicking around and a certain percentage have claims against them so the insurance company can figure out a risk level.

By the way, I love Providenciales . I used to go a couple of times a year in the 90's. I used to stay at what is now called the Seven Stars. I'd rent a Suzuki jeep for the week and go swimming with the turtles on the western coast out at the end of what is now Malcolm road. In those days there was nothing out there. No houses, no people, no roads... getting there in the Jeep was often difficult. I would have loved to have a couple of TW200's when I was there!

It's a beautiful place to live. I envy you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First of all, I am not looking for any sympathy. Motorcycles are my principle hobby (and to be honest, they are an addiction) and I am fortunate to currently own 8 bikes, 6 of which are licensed for street use. I will also admit that I am not the best financial manager and rarely even look at the motorcycle insurance statements that I get in the mail.

However, after following a recent thread in which some of you reported what you were paying for insurance, I decided that I would actually look at the next statement that I received. Today I got a statement from State Farm for the next 6 months coverage for my 2005 Yamaha TW200. Here is what I am currently paying for:

Liability Coverage 100K/300K/50K ____________________ $12.98

Comprehensive $100 Deductible ______________________ $26.83

Total _____________________________________________ $39.81

That seems reasonable so far, until you see what comes next!

Uninsured Motor Vehicle Coverage 100K/300K ___________ $36.82

Uninsured Motor Vehicle Property Damage Coverage ______ $ 7.62

Total _____________________________________________ $44.44

Grand Total _______________________________________ $84.25

It appears that I am buying the same liability coverage as I have for essentially 3 other uninsured, deadbeat drivers that I do not even know! Throw in the vehicle property damage coverage for these deadbeats and more than half of my payment goes towards uninsured motorists.

I understand that uninsured motorists are a problem, and it is important to have additional coverage to protect yourself against them, but this seems to be a bit extreme to me. Is this just a California thing, a State Farm thing, or do I just need to be a better shopper for vehicle insurance?

Rant over.

Is that for the entire year?!

Up here in Manitoba, I pay $730 for the year, on the TW ,with a $200 discount for good driving record. Unbelievable how cheap your insurance is down in 'merica..

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Not the entire year.

The OP says 6 month invoice. The price is not bad and yes paying for doofuses that don't buy insurance is a boomer, but the alternative is not to be insured when a doofus hits you. Go figure which is best. I can drive carefully and control my risk, but my chances of totally avoiding a doofus are less. Lets just say uninsured motorist insurance is necessary, insuring my own good or bad driving is more certain and therefore less expensive. Life's not fair so lets I try to focus on getting on with it and not letting it eat a hole in my stomach. Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
I pay $145 a year in WI. Full coverage, $100.00/$300,000 for uninsured, under-insured, $100,000 property damage. $250 deductible.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Coverage & Premium Information
Yamah
BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY$24.00
BI $100,000 EACH PERSON - $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST$51.00
$50,000 EACH PERSON - $100,000 EACH ACCIDENT
Premium by Vehicle$75.00
Total Policy Premium

per year through Progressive. I could probably change some things to make it cheaper, but with the number of uninsured motorists in Alabama, I'll keep what I have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As some of the other people have mentioned above when you live in Michigan like me those prices look great. I just got my my TW a few weeks ago. It is the first bike I have ever gotten insurance on and I was shocked. I am currently paying $250 per year for PL/PD with a $500 deductible. I thought there must have been some mistake but when i asked my insurance guy he showed me the breakdown. $175 of that is Michigan only fees and taxes. The actual quote for the coverage was $75 for the year.

He did make a good recommendation that I take the coverage off for the winter months when I won't be using the bike. Then I will get a pro-rated refund check for the months I don't use. Here in Michigan we can get some rough weather. So I figure if I keep the bike covered for 8 months of the year (April-Nov) I will be paying about $167.50 per year. Kind of crazy when I only paid $1100 for my bike!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts