TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Cool. Ya know, we were working outside yesterday and two planes flew over amazingly low, in the distance from me, but low. And here is the thing. I could swear they were A-10's. Can't really see how they could be, but that is sure what they looked like and I have had some experience with them coming right over me.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Nice , we do not have a B-17 that fly's around but I have seen a B-25 & a B-24 , P-51 and a few more great aircraft .

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice , we do not have a B-17 that fly's around but I have seen a B-25 & a B-24 , P-51 and a few more great aircraft .
I have seen an early model P-51 fly by, the kind without the bubble canopy. And there is also a B-25 but I haven't seen it fly. The Collings Foundation is in town barnstorming.

I went for a ride on the B-17 a few years ago and it was worth every penny. My Dad was a waist gunner on a B-17 so I have a special fondness for them.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The plane I went on it was $300 per head at the time and you could wander all over the plane once it took off. Now I think it is $450 per person for a 1/2 hour flight and like I said earlier, it is worth every penny!

A couple of pictures. It was a beautiful day!!! Clear and warm. A perfect day to go for a ride in a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress.......... and it was far from any war or combat.

The Golden Gate Bridge from the left waist window:

Copy of LWGGB.jpg

Mount Umunhum and Mount Loma Prieta in the distance.

Clearday.jpg

·
Super Moderator
18,001 Posts
The B-17 was up here in Spokane this weekend. I could see it from the porch swing outside. Yep, it's 450.00 now.

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Tony,

We had a visitor in Boise yesterday. Even got a call at work as to why a B-17 would be here. Didn't know it yesterday, but it was the Memphis Belle, or the one used in the movie anyway. Still very cool in my book.

Memphis Belle flies over Boise | KTVB.COM Boise

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
My Dad was a waist gunner on a B-17 so I have a special fondness for them.
You got every right to be proud of that man. If I remember correctly the conflict mortality rate of a B17 crewman in general was around thirty percent and a ball turret gunner around sixty percent...not even 50/50...tough job.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Last summer my friend and I were mountain biking down to the beach we heard something Wierd didn't sound like a regular plane.. what we saw was.... A flying drone!!! Tried to get a pic but it took off.. down the shoreline. ..

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
StanHouseworthAAF1942.jpg

Taken at Mather {California} Field in 1942....my old man, Stan Houseworth, is seated in the Cockkpit looking out the glass....he was a Chief Mechanic on these Birds during WWII...which, lucky for him, kept him on the Home Front during the war...anybody that gets the chance should visit the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson in Dayton. We hold our Air Force Sky Cop Mini Reunion there every March or April, always something new for the lovers of old and new Flight:

Sky Cops 2014 034.JPG

Me and my buddy MAC, we were Security Police together at both Nha Trang and Tan Son Nhut{Saigon} at this years reunion at WPAFB last month

{Click Photos to Enlarge}

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Yep, Borneo, folks should spend the weekend if possible, to do and see all the stuff, it takes a couple of days to gather it all in...

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tony,

We had a visitor in Boise yesterday. Even got a call at work as to why a B-17 would be here. Didn't know it yesterday, but it was the Memphis Belle, or the one used in the movie anyway. Still very cool in my book.

Memphis Belle flies over Boise | KTVB.COM Boise
The Memphis Belle visited the Hayward Airport about a year ago. I didn't go see it but a friend did and sent me this picture. It is truly a good look airplane.

Memphis Belle1.jpg

·
Registered
765 Posts
I met the Doolittle Raiders a few years ago and got my painting signed, and since I live so close I could see B-25's flying over my house from Wright Patterson AFB. All kinds of planes fly over here. Old and new! And I just happen to be an aviation geek. We get C-17's,C-5's, B-52's, f-16's F-15's, A-6 (once), and many more depending on what is going on. The Dayton Air Show is the best. Too many to name right now.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yep. And get there when it opens, plan on spending the day, and you still can't really appreciate it all. It's that big.
For sure on that one. If you need a tour guide you know where to find me ;) Been going there dozens of times per year since I was about four. non-stop studying too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cool. Ya know, we were working outside yesterday and two planes flew over amazingly low, in the distance from me, but low. And here is the thing. I could swear they were A-10's. Can't really see how they could be, but that is sure what they looked like and I have had some experience with them coming right over me.
I saw some A-10s flying around in central Indiana. They are about for sure, no mistaking them.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I saw some A-10s flying around in central Indiana. They are about for sure, no mistaking them.
Maybe I ain't going crazy then. Nope, no mistaking them, especially when you are lying on the ground and they come cracking overhead about twenty-five feet off the deck.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Back in the mid 80's when I was in elementary school I very clearly remember the a-10's flying just off the ground next to our school. It was all cornfields and they always would fly by when us kids where on recess. Im sure they were coming out of camp Atterbury but man was it neat to see as a kid. When I was in aviation school in 2000 the military sent an f-16 to our sschool at the Indianapolis airport for some kind of job fair. I remember when he left as soon as his gear left the tarmac he went 90 degrees from the ground and shot out of sight in a matter of a few short seconds. That was a sight to see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts