TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The web site that sells maps for the Trans-America trail (TransAmTrail.com ) has a FAQ section. One of the questions ask: "What is the “best” motorcycle to ride on the Trans-Am Trail?" and the response: "I would NOT recommend any motorcycle smaller than 400cc motor. You need a “Dual-Sport” motorcycle that you can handle through deep sand, mud, loose gravel, rocks and snow".

"deep sand, mud, loose gravel, rocks and snow"...Those things sound like what the TW was made for. Seems like a better response would be "nothing OVER 400cc". What am I missing here?

·
Registered
762 Posts
The web site that sells maps for the Trans-America trail (TransAmTrail.com ) has a FAQ section. One of the questions ask: "What is the “best” motorcycle to ride on the Trans-Am Trail?" and the response: "I would NOT recommend any motorcycle smaller than 400cc motor. You need a “Dual-Sport” motorcycle that you can handle through deep sand, mud, loose gravel, rocks and snow".

"deep sand, mud, loose gravel, rocks and snow"...Those things sound like what the TW was made for. Seems like a better response would be "nothing OVER 400cc". What am I missing here?
Now I'm ignorant on this. I have never taken such a trip.

BUT.

Just an afternoon in the mud and sand, the TW would be probably okay. A full-out motorcross machine, with more spring travel and clearance on the front fender, better. An enduro marathon, with tools, gear, luggage...yes, you probably would need something with a lot more grunt power.

It would seem to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts