TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one's for those of you that take on those "How is that even possible?" projects.

There are some of us that do maintenance, turn the key and ride what essentially Yamaha built us.
There are others that have the time, energy and money to do XT250 engine swaps, trailer wheels, fat 'ol front wheels, and other builds that most of us can't even get our heads around......

If you fall into the latter category, one of you out there might be interested in the fact that there's a drriders thread about the sale of a 900cc DR650 project bike, by a user that goes by ProCycle. Hmm..now why does that word sound familiar....?
Anyway...in the discussion about the 900 and the sale, and the 'What are you building next?" questions...reference was made to several boxes that contained all the makin's of a 6-speed TW320, but (likely due to time) it would never be finished. He did also toss out there, "if you want all 8 boxes of my TW motor project I would part with them for a VERY cheap price."
I wasn't a part of the conversation, so not providing any links or anything....but the drriders forum is searchable without being logged in..... If that interests you, I'll leave you to it.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
I tried to find the thread but without better clues was unwilling to search 224,513 postings.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, there wasn't really an invitation in the thread to advertise it, it was 'conversation' in the thread (which I wasn't participating in) .....I just didn't want to link directly to it in case it was...rude? in some way.
I didn't realized that Google doesn't seem to find stuff that was in the conversation of the thread, but only the actual thread title...my bad. Anyway, if you toss "The infamous DR900 big bore stroker" into google, that thread will be the first match that comes up. The TW project talk starts on page 4, post #39.

I didn't get the "Q moment" reference.....
Anyway....the short story is that someone that represents ProCycle said he had 8 boxes of parts that was to be a 6-speed 320cc TW project but he's thinking he'll never get back to it so said he'd sell them.
I thought it might be interesting to some of the folks here that take on some over-the-top projects.

·
Super Moderator
5,302 Posts
I didn't get the "Q moment" reference.....
The only person who could possibly have boxes of parts for a 320cc 6 speed conversion for the TW is querty - hence the “Q” reference

This would fit with his previous boasting on here that he had achieved the build – whereas in fact, he had only achieved the box of parts – (expect some to be missing)

A man of great “pretensions” – but little else

From what I can gather (it was before my time), he knew what he was talking about, but took it no further, despite many claims of doing so

As antagonistic as helpful, in the end his antagonism was deemed to be a step too far – the personal insults far out weighing the aid given, and so he was banned ….

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Congrats Purple on 3,000 posts. :p

It's not Q. This one is an actual real deal. Older members would recognise this is a past member who really was working on all this stuff. Somewhere out there, there really is boxes and boxes of TW parts and potential. ;)
The only person who could possibly have boxes of parts for a 320cc 6 speed conversion for the TW is querty - hence the “Q” reference

This would fit with his previous boasting on here that he had achieved the build – whereas in fact, he had only achieved the box of parts – (expect some to be missing)

From what I can gather (it was before my time), he knew what he was talking about, but took it no further, despite many claims of doing so

As antagonistic as helpful, in the end his antagonism was deemed to be a step too far – the personal insults far out weighing the aid given, and so he was banned ….

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That explains the Q thing.
No, this member (over at the DR forum) is as Tommy said, the real deal. Not sure of the details but he either works with ProCycle, is ProCycle, something like that...either way, he's representing ProCycle. Great representative too, always quick to lend a hand to questions posed in the forums.... I wouldn't have mentioned it unless it was a post by someone I recognized as one of the good ones (in my short time there). :)

And Purple's 3000th post was a reply to me. I feel like I'm a part of history now. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
This was Mr.Brackets (Mike) bike who works at Procycle. The owner is named Mike also and at some point they both were working on this project. Life got in the way when Mike and his wife had a new baby. A lot of money and time went into the project which was never finished so the timing might be right for someone to ask Mike if he wants to get rid of all his parts and stuff. (I imagine whoever does will make out like a bandit!!) :p
That explains the Q thing.
No, this member (over at the DR forum) is as Tommy said, the real deal. Not sure of the details but he either works with ProCycle, is ProCycle, something like that...either way, he's representing ProCycle. Great representative too, always quick to lend a hand to questions posed in the forums.... I wouldn't have mentioned it unless it was a post by someone I recognized as one of the good ones (in my short time there). :)

And Purple's 3000th post was a reply to me. I feel like I'm a part of history now. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,302 Posts
Shit happens - the older you get, the more used to it you'll become ..... ;)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Mr Bracket is a great guy, he came down and rode with the nor cal nutjobs once upon a time... great rider, great fabber and i wouldn't doubt anything about his boxes of 320cc parts. i saw several of his projects first hand... top notch work.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts

Purple, it's QWERTY.....the first five letters on the top row of typewriters....maybe yours are a little different. :p
I agree on 4 and 5, but not 1 thru 3. In all the time I have been on the forum since 2011, I never heard qwerty boast of a 320 cc motor. A 230 cc 6 speed, yes. Perhaps a typo?

He didn't suffer fools gladly, but I sure learned a lot from him.

Rocky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts