·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
What, no pop-up trailer now?:eek:
With the roof-top at least you can leave your bike on hitch carrier out of the elements should it rain. A couple hundred dollars can change the camper shell's side windows for "win-doors" that hinge up allowing easy side access to gear in camper's bed. I installed win-doors in a previous shell and decided they were invaluable upgrades, key them to match back hatch.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can have both Fred that would be a good place for the grand kids in the tree house.

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Those lucky kids would love the ladder access to their own private playhouse up there. Good idea, just tell parents you will put trampoline underneath should they fall.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Neat but how much work is it to set up? I used to have a truck bed tent. It was great... roomy (8' bed), etc. BUT, it was a major pain in the ass to setup. You pretty much needed a second person or you'd risk cracking or breaking the fiberglass poles. I ended up selling it.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Neat but how much work is it to set up? I used to have a truck bed tent. It was great... roomy (8' bed), etc. BUT, it was a major pain in the ass to setup. You pretty much needed a second person or you'd risk cracking or breaking the fiberglass poles. I ended up selling it.
Looks like 2 seconds to set up.

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Gordi sure knows his gear! But what are the vehicle length 3" PVC pipes for? Water? Midnight pee? Map storage for the outback? Fishing poles? Nice post Z.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gordi sure knows his gear! But what are the vehicle length 3" PVC pipes for? Water? Midnight pee? Map storage for the outback? Fishing poles? Nice post Z.
My guess is fresh water storage, it had a spout at the end.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had it all before I got my van. The main issue with a roof top tent is the 3am pee break. I got tired of having to climb down. Some use bottles, but not were I sleep. They are not that bad to set up. If I had a Tacoma, I would look at a four wheel pop up camper. Light weight, heater and still use hitch carrier.

TexGX

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Hard to beat a van for a quick and easy camp set up. All bedding and gear is there ready to go, nothing to dry out or put away in the morning, better half can stay even in bed while you drive to next destination. What video doesn't show is logistics for pulling all bedding and overnight gear down and packed away in vehicle in inclement weather like wind and rain. Car top tents are nice, just not perfect. Nothing is, so no complaints. Elevated sleeping seems good for Australian Ute's in hot weather where breezes can flow in but snakes can't.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK you guys talk me out of it so I will stick with the folding popup trailer with ATV deck. dont_copy.jpg dont_copy.jpg

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Get them both Paul. Then when we come visit you we'll have a place to stay. Am curious about ventilation options on the trailer for hot weather, and whether there is an shade/rain awning available for either deck or entryway.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get them both Paul. Then when we come visit you we'll have a place to stay. Am curious about ventilation options on the trailer for hot weather, and whether there is an shade/rain awning available for either deck or entryway.
I will get a A/C unit on the popup and have a generator for power do you think I am crazy. my son said no way on the kids in the tree house. I will put them in my Tacoma with the shell and today I ordered this nice shell roof rack kit. nemotoy1-695x465.jpg not cheap but only live once.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My friend Jason here at the RV repair shop will be selling one of those Chalets in the near future. He has it in the shop now. It was owned by his grandmother... he's going to fix it up first. It has a leak so he'll be repairing it and getting it all ready to go. No idea on the age or price, but thought I'd throw it out there in case somebody in this area might want one.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I went and looked at the popup hard side trailer above and no shower or shiter so I am going to order the Baja it has all terrain tires and can take offroad no problem and has a nice ATV deck.Baja Camping Trailers | Jayco, Inc.

gallery_picture_5601.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts