TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is Reno Air Races time again so many of the competing classes form up prior to the race in next valley over and follow a smoke trailed chase plane over my house in to the pylon race course.
Tomorrow the Mrs and I are joining some 175,000 others to watch the world championship finals from some nice grandstand seats.. There will be Blue Angels, Bi-planes, sport jets, Raptor stealth fighters, a jet car, sky-divers as typical air show fare but I want to see this years Unlimited Gold race. Other classes with finals tomorrow are the Fomula One, Jets, T-6, Sport and Bi-Plane.
Wife is anxious to see the Blue Angels perform. I like crawling around the static displays too, where else can a civilian sit in the cockpit of various de-classified military aircraft?

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A day late and a dollar short...that's my story as I struggle to grab camera in time to only capture the guide plane's smoke trail after leading a group of five competitors in formation to the pylon coarse.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I believe so. (Robert "Hoot" Gibson won last years Unlimited Gold in his Stregga P-51 @ 489.893 mph.) Strega-P-51D-20-NT-Mustang-AAF-44-13105-2.jpg

Spectators will see six classes of planes including:

• Unlimited Class – Stock or modified WWII fighters with the P-51 Mustangs, F-8F Bearcats and Hawker Sea Fury being flown most often. The Unlimited Class flies in speeds exceeding 500 miles per hour.
  • Jet ClassAero Vodochody L-39 “Albatros”jets, non-after-burning jet with less than 15 degrees of wing sweep. The Jet Class planes fly at racing speeds in excess of 500 miles per hour.
  • Sport Class – Super Sport and Sport classes consist of kit-built aircrafts powered by a reciprocating engine with displacements of 650 cubic inches or fewer.
  • T-6 Class – One of three different types World War II trainers: AT-6, Harvard’s, or SNJ’s. The racers who compete in this class on a 4.990-mile race course create some of the tightest competition seen at the National Championship Air Races.
  • Formula One – A minimum dry empty weight of 500 pounds, non-retractable landing gear, a minimum wing area of 66 square feet, a fixed-pitch propeller constructed of either wood or composite materials and a 100 HP 200 cubic-inch Continental engine. The Formula 1 class has several races across the country throughout the year, with Reno serving as the site for their National Championship and their biggest purse. At Reno, the race course distance covers 3.1068 miles.
  • Bi-Plane Class – Biplanes must have a minimum dry weight of 500 pounds, at least 30 percent of the required 75-square-foot wing area must be contained in the smaller of the two wings, non-retractable landing gear, a fixed pitch propeller, and the largest engine permitted is the 360-cubic-inch, 180 HP Lycoming engine.
Notable pilots this year include Robert “Hoot” Gibson in Strega and Steve Hinton in Voodoo, in a culmination of a years-long rivalry with wins from both planes for first and second place.
Notable military performers this year include the F-16 Viper Demo/Heritage Flight and USAFA Wings of Blue Jump Team. Notable civilian performers this year include the Breitling Jet Team, Tora Tora Tora, David Martin, Red Eagles, Falcon Demo, and B-25 Fly-by

Attachments

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My favorite twin boom has always been the P-38 Lightning. Wish more had been salvaged.
3a9cb365f704d00516f1c58fc453229f.jpg P-38_Lightning_carried_by_two_DUKWs_0751.jpg

Back in the day there were some interesting pods one could hang beneath the wings. Just remember to de-activate the drop tank circuit breaker before going for a ride.;) F-5-casevac-3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I've heard folks say that riding a bike is about the closest thing there is to flying a airplane. I can see that. The pilots among us could tell us for sure. When I was growing up, I wanted to be a military pilot. Maybe that's why I love riding bikes so much and always have... :D

The only thing cooler than a motorcycle is an aircraft!

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I did find this nice possible donor engine to put in the TW. 86 cylinder rotary with counter-rotating output shafts might be just the ticket for feeding power to that front DeathWing.:)

Hate to adjust the valves and balance the carbs on this monster, the mass of cylinders goes on and on for another ten feet.:p

Engine came out of this racer:

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Best moments were feeling the heat and visceral booming of Blue Angels passing overhead at some 470 mph. We had top grandstand seats right at the intersection of runway and a taxiway they were indexing the maneuvers around so had several fly-overs immediately overhead at ~200 ft altitude. Flight line was maybe 200 ft away. One could literally feel the sound and smell the Jet A. Nothing like seeing, feeling, hearing and smelling them in person. Think my wife got even a bigger kick getting hugs from the flight crews later...something about a man in uniform. I'll try to steal a picture of her with weak knees between these heroic guys I snapped with her camera.

TURN AND BURN....YANK AND BANK...BOOM AND ZOOM!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
IMO, the F16 is the coolest fighter jet on earth. And the P38 is the coolest twin boom. And the P51 was the coolest fighter of WWII. Well, maybe the F4U Corsair was right up there with it. Very cool posts folks.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Found a TW sized Blue Angel aircraft...a jet BD-5 :My wife was anxiously looking for the midget Blue Angel pilot so she could get some more hugs.

Plus a little fixer-upper for sale in the used lot:

Lots of eye candy and interesting static displays, flight simulators and a few stealth Raptors (F-35 Lightning).

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
So, something tells me LittleTommy would have volunteered for this P-38 Observation Pod: View attachment 46897
In a heartbeat Fred, seriously. :D

*** I want to fly the plane too. (as long as someone there can grab the stick when I mess up and we're about to buy the farm) ;)

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Me too!
Likely no ventilation or cooling on the ground,and no heat at elevation...who cares!
Maybe he's just a mechanic who reaches out and adjusts the Allison V-1710 carbs through that little cowling flap he's looking at once up at 30,000 ft.;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Fred, last weekend while you were cruising Hwy 20 along the shores of Clear Lake, were you lucky enough to see any of the sea planes that were participating in the annual Clear Lake splash in? Not a plane buff myself but even I think it's very cool to see some of the vintage planes come and go from the water. There was one accident this year. Turned out as well as could be hoped for.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I did find this nice possible donor engine to put in the TW. 86 cylinder rotary with counter-rotating output shafts might be just the ticket for feeding power to that front DeathWing.:)

Hate to adjust the valves and balance the carbs on this monster, the mass of cylinders goes on and on for another ten feet.:p

Engine came out of this racer:
Thanks for the laughs Fred! A ROTARY engine?

The original rotary piston engines (not Wankel) had the prop bolted to the crankcase & cylinders while the crank was bolted to the fuselage.
That meant the entire engine rotated while running.
They stopped using those in WWI.

I would like to read more about the 86 cylinder engine though.
I haven't been able to find anything about it online and what I have found lists the experimental XR-7775 built by Lycoming as the largest radial ever built.
Only 3 were ever built and the project was dropped.
It has 36 cylinders.
5,000 hp...

86 cylinders?
Is it a dummy mock up for display?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts