TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you have trouble shifting with boots on? Did you HAVE to use a longer shift lever.
I finally got a pair of Fox comp 5's.
But I'm having trouble shifting.
I'm going to raise the height of shifter, and see if that helps. The boots are new and I need to break them it too.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Did you have trouble shifting with boots on? Yes, wider footpegs definitely decrease the room available for the boot. This is further compounded by bulkier, less flexible motocross style boots.

Did you HAVE to use a longer shift lever. No, but it definitely helps.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I put wider pegs on my KLR and had to lengthen the shifter, which is why I haven't done it to the TW. I like the stock pegs on the TW anyway.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
I was concerned about the wider pegs when I installed them. Because of my riding position. I ride very forward, so my right knee can do what my ankle can't.
I'll stick they old pegs back on for my next ride.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zdiver, I wondered how you got search to work. But then I saw you were the OP.
I also noticed the arc in MSR's lever.
I'm back on stock and still having some shifting problems. I'll hang on to over size pegs for awhile.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I do have IMS pegs and a stock shifter. I wear Gaerne boots with no issues.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Zdiver, I wondered how you got search to work. But then I saw you were the OP.
I also noticed the arc in MSR's lever.
I'm back on stock and still having some shifting problems. I'll hang on to over size pegs for awhile.
this kind of stuff is in the performance and customization area. and this is a perfect fit. the Gaerne boots are probably all leather and broke in and flex like Hiking boots.

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Padilen, It took a little getting use to shifting when I installed the larger footpegs. I had another learning curve when I started wearing protective boots. However, I got use to it both times and still use the stock shifter. I don't even give it a thought now. But most others haven't had the same result or comfort and have changed shifters, so you may very well want to go with the majority on this one.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
ZdIVER
Checked the site , no TW listed . which Bike do you order the 162092 MSR shifter for?

Which bike do you order it for??
To get the 162092 on the superstore website you order it for a 1999 to a 2004 yz250 I just ordered one.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Padilen, It took a little getting use to shifting when I installed the larger footpegs. I had another learning curve when I started wearing protective boots. However, I got use to it both times and still use the stock shifter. I don't even give it a thought now. But most others haven't had the same result or comfort and have changed shifters, so you may very well want to go with the majority on this one.
I have a folding shift lever in my "cart"on Amazon.
I placed it there before buying my TW. My IT's had folding levers and I occasionally had the need ;). I'm playing with adjustments too.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I run IMS pegs and a stock shifter. I wear a size 11.5 boot and i haven't had much issues shifting it. The distance from shifter to peg doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

That being said i do want to replace the shifter but mainly for a folding tip.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I went with the folding shifter from moose racing part #mya16 about a year ago and was still using stock footpegs. shifter was about an inch longer which with my long feet I liked. Recently "Joemama" gave my a pair of his famous "beer opener" wide footpegs and I really like them. I wear hiking boots but think I'll still be okay when I get some of those atv boots I've been reading about on this forum.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I went back to stock pegs. Played with raising / lowering lever. Frustrated Went back to original location, tried my other boots. Shifting good. So I raised lever until it was hard to shift with older boots. Tried new boots. Still not hitting 3-5. I broke down and ordered YZ folding lever.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my MSR shifter yesterday. Didn't ride it with my boots until today.
Rode into clinic to get my B12 shot, last one yea. Looked odd I'm sure wearing off-road boots.
Need to re adjust it lever and try it again. Had it to high. But I like it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts