TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So SoCal is out of the question. I've been thinking about moving to Moab or Grand Junction. I think it'd be amazing to ride around those 2 places every week. I've lived the city life my whole life and i enjoy the few times i get away to ride. If anyone has experiences in Utah or Colorado, please share the pros and cons. This will be my first time living by myself too (as in looking for my own apartment/house even though paying rent/mortgage scares me). Especially when i'm single.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Just for the freedom and taxes, I would take Utah....Colorado{unless you want to smoke large amounts of pot} is for those that love paying taxes so the illegals and perverts can live in style....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Just for the freedom and taxes, I would take Utah....Colorado{unless you want to smoke large amounts of pot} is for those that love paying taxes so the illegals and perverts can live in style....:rolleyes:
If it were me I would load a u-haul full of Doritos and Oreo's and head for Colorado. They would sell like ice and generators after a hurricane!;) You could probably take a few months off afterwards and just ride. The Colorado munchies economics model.

Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have lived in Colorado since 1966 and have seen it become a magnet for the "bi-coastal elite." Some parts are still unspoiled but getting fewer as the population spreads. I would suggest staying on the West side of the divide in Colorado and avoid anything on the Front Range area particularly the Boulder,CO area. Good luck with relocating---

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Move to Utah!

I heard you can have as many wives as you can afford. I may be wrong though. I was drunk when I heard it! The beer is free too. No way would you get all this good stuff in Colorado, California or New York. Maybe Hawaii, but that's it.

and the Beer is free.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Moab is cold tin the winter and super hot in the summer and crowded with tourists anytime it is nice...Real estate is high as are rents....And Utah has many Mormons who are very inclusive and accommodating as long as you are also a Mormon, other wise highly exclusive....Moab has a very Bohemian vibe amongst the locals, very cool if you like that sort of thing....I kinda do even if I don't exactly fit in...which is the point I guess.

I know less about Grand Junction, but I like it there a lot. EVERYBODY NEEDS to ride a dirtbike just North of the airport at least once....and you can drive down to Moab anytime! Probably more jobs and more dating opportunities....Remember Moab has 3 local dudes for every local chick! Seems to me Moab would lose its magic if you actually lived there full time. Now a vacation home there would rule!

I know nothing about taxes or laws in either state except Utah has stupid liquor laws that are annoying....I would pick GJ over Moab even tho I love Moab!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3 local dudes for every local chick? It's hard enough getting a good girl where i'm at. Yeah, i was wondering about the whole Mormon thing too. Two of my classmates said they loved living in Colorado and the only reason for moving to NY is family.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ok I just took a stab at the 3 to 1 ratio....but during tourist season it more like 10 to 1! Don't get me wrong, Moab is an awesome place, but it is a small isolated town with many Quirks for sure. I have thought about buying a house or property there for about 15 years. Even 15 years ago it seemed pretty pricey there and at the time I was living in wine country in Northern California....If you are a total outdoor/adventure sort of person Moab would be fun...Another thing, Moab is getting super crowded every year with more and more tourist and international tourists as well. And I think it is about to be overrun by UTVs! They will take over the world.... or at least Moab!

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Having lived in Grand Junction for several years and having been over to ride in Moab, I'd go with Grand Junction. You can always go over to Moab anytime. It's a lot cooler in GJ. I think you will have more opportunities in Colorado. And North of town as mentioned above, is great riding.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Are those real drinks and is the beer free? I'm not a regular drinker but i have buddies who are.
The drinks are real. I lied about the free beer, unless you bum it from a buddy!:p

I was just being silly.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Keep heading East we have plenty of Water. There is a beautiful farm for sale next to ours in WV. 27 acres, house, barn, 1 acre lake and the neighbors are friendly. We don't get devastating earth quakes, tornados, or hurricanes. $350,000.00

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Keep heading East we have plenty of Water. There is a beautiful farm for sale next to ours in WV. 27 acres, house, barn, 1 acre lake and the neighbors are friendly. We don't get devastating earth quakes, tornados, or hurricanes. $350,000.00
I have spent a lot of time in West Virginia. The neighbors ARE friendly, EVENTUALLY! "You aint from round here are ya boy" is, I believe, the state motto:D

Tom

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
It was probably more like "You ain't from around here are you Yankee Boy". Lol. You can't hide that accent.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Why not include New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada in your potential HQ?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
If you are serious....I would do a cost analysis between the two locations...Moab and Grand Junction, and find out what the cost of living in each would be.

Rents...foods...gas....utilities...taxes.....taxes on foods Versus no taxes on food.

I agree that living in Moab may cause it to lose its' magic after awhile. Also, look at job opportunities in both.
One of my old Radio Buddies{I was News Director he was afternoon DJ} from KGNO in Dodge City, lives now in Grand Jt, has for about 15 years...he loves it there, been there a few times and it seems nice, and the weather is pretty sweet{compared to many places}....I agree with one of the other posts....stay the Hell out of the Denver, Boulder, and Ski Yuppies places, and Colorado is probably not bad....Moab, the extreme changes in weather and the costs, tourists, would probably preclude one from wanting to live there full time....but after this March, I love the place as a visitation location.:cool:

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
If possible one should research and visit prospective places to move to with a keen eye before committing one's future. Employment, recreation, weather, societal norms are all part of the big picture that contribute to overall happiness. If one is willing to commute often good urban employment, medical and shopping can be coupled with a bucolic suburban, or rural home life. Beware too long a commute though as the time spent on the road subtracts from family or other quality activities.
For example I choose where I live partially because of nearby metropolis having a healthy economy, every store imaginable, multiple hospitals, international airport, no state income tax, etc. yet I am twenty minutes away from these benefits living on a rural ranchette where recreational opportunities abound. Best of two worlds.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Move to Utah!

I heard you can have as many wives as you can afford. I may be wrong though. I was drunk when I heard it! The beer is free too. No way would you get all this good stuff in Colorado, California or New York. Maybe Hawaii, but that's it.

and the Beer is free.
So Kris, does Lori approve of your moving to Utah with free wives and multiple beers, or however way that works? Sorry, I get confused when I get excited.

·
Registered
206 Posts
We've got edibles too. Just in case your lungs can't take it. I prefer chocolate brownies. And the "freedom" to eat them. Or smoke it. Or not. And they collect taxes on that pot too, which brings a lot of money into state coffers. And HALF the number of people to deal with compared to some states (Ohio 11 million, Colorado 5 million). Oh, and mountains, real 14,000' peak mountains and more old gold and silver mining roads than you could ever ride in a lifetime. And if you're young enough to hike and camp, half of Colorado is preserved in five national parks, three national monuments, one national monument and preserve, 11 national forests, 40 state parks and three national recreation areas. And beer. Micro breweries galore (7 in the Junk area). Click on any link here, below. But, heck, you need 'freedom' to enjoy it. Like most things, 'freedom' is where you find it... and that is up to you.

Official Colorado Travel Resources | Colorado.com

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have spent a lot of time in West Virginia. The neighbors ARE friendly, EVENTUALLY! "You aint from round here are ya boy" is, I believe, the state motto:D

Tom
Ive been there plenty of times on my bike. People were always friendly. Stores, resterants, gas stations. Id live there if my wife would. Great roads to ride, too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts