TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've got 5 years experience with street and touring riding, but probably only a few days spent on a dirt bike. I've decided I want a dual sport but I'm looking for something in the smaller CC range so I can ride it harder without having to worry about killing my self. I prefer to do things this way; stepping up gradually. My first motorcycle was an 81 honda 400, second bike was a 2005 V-strom 650, and my latest and only bike at the moment is a 2010 Kawasaki z1000.

I am attracted to the tw200 because of the rack on the back and I feel like I could pack that thing up like a mule and go anywhere. My street bike is my stallion for looking good and going far (I've done 6000km in 12 days on the Z) and the TW would be my utility beater for going slow and exploring.

Are there any other bikes I should be looking at? My budget is around $2000, so obviously new bikes are out of the question.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
A Yamaha XT225 is a nice exploring bike and has a 6 speed. I use to own one and a college of mine has one and he takes it every where. A Suzuki DR200 is also a nice choice, but I have never ridden one, It has the largest gas tank of the small displacement bikes.
The TW shines with it large rear wheel. It gets you out of some messy situations.

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
Can't go wrong with an off-the-shelf TW if you can live with it's somewhat unique nature. Plus TWs come with this helpful forum should things go wrong.
Otherwise one more idea within the budget in a more conventional dirt bike layout can be found in an older street legal Honda XR200. Cargo rack could be an issue. xr200.jpeg

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
As you can imagine, most of us own a TW200 for going slow and exploring.

Pros: low seat, fat tires, easy to maintain, 70 mpg, user friendly and extremely reliable.
Cons: Can't keep up with 65 mph traffic, suspension not as good as some of the alternatives (can be improved with mods) hard seat (can be improved), small tank (about 130 mile range) bigger tanks available.

Yes, unlike any other alternatives you can treat it like a mule, load it up with 200 lbs of camping gear and get the hell out of Dodge for a few days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everyone,

I've got 5 years experience with street and touring riding, but probably only a few days spent on a dirt bike. I've decided I want a dual sport but I'm looking for something in the smaller CC range so I can ride it harder without having to worry about killing my self. I prefer to do things this way; stepping up gradually. My first motorcycle was an 81 honda 400, second bike was a 2005 V-strom 650, and my latest and only bike at the moment is a 2010 Kawasaki z1000 http://tradevenue.se/.

I am attracted to the tw200 because of the rack on the back and I feel like I could pack that thing up like a mule and go anywhere. My street bike is my stallion for looking good and going far (I've done 6000km in 12 days on the Z) and the TW would be my utility beater for going slow and exploring.

Are there any other bikes I should be looking at? My budget is around $2000, so obviously new bikes are out of the question.
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

·
Registered
227 Posts
It may be the bike with the longest production life ever ??? There is a reason for that.....however if I was going to buy a small dual sport I would definitely buy one of the Chinese bikes for $2000 or even less...
Of course I would keep my TWs…..a guy needs some guest bikes....

For what it is worth two of my neighbors bought the 225 thinking the 200 was to small....and then sold the 225s and got a TW....after we made a few rides...….just saying..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts