TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife has a hair appointment this Saturday, so I decided I'm gonna finish the 3 Finger Gulch ride Ron, Larry and myself rode at the end of this past April (http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/10492-3-fingers-rock.html). Suppose to be Sunny and 86* for a high, so should be great weather!

I'm going solo, well Georgie's coming, unless someone wants to join me. On our last ride we had to by-pass a couple of side trips and I want to see them before riding season ends.

I 'm also planning on riding to Leslie Gulch as well. (http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/5263-succor-creek-leslie-gulch-no-escaping-heat-one.html)

If you want to come, meet me at Succor Creek State Park (Oregon) at 8:00 a.m. I have to be back for supper, so this is gonna be an early start. My planned route will be about 75 miles and I need to be back at the start point around 4:00 p.m.

If I know you're coming and you're running late, I will wait until 8:30 a.m. before I take off. Otherwise it's kickstands up at 8:00 a.m.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Looks like fun in the gulches. Wish I was closer to join you and Georgie. Your photos do look very inviting. Gonna put a few more miles on the '94-'05 hybred? Let us know if transplanted motor feels different, perhaps the mild weakness here in sierras could have been due to higher elevation when you visited. And what a fun visit it was!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think a dirty air filter had more to do with the mild weakness, not that elevation didn't play a minor part as well. Honestly, after we were out on the trail for a while I didn't even notice a difference.

I'm so stoked to be back riding I made an excuse the last couple days to ride some pavement to a car dealership and DMV. Engine ran, and speeds were just as good as before, so I think power loss is in my head.

"Gonna put a few more miles on the '94-'05 hybrid" I've never named a motorcycle before, but if I did name this one it would be named "Die FrankenTWstein":p

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Dem power losses git worse wid age.
My clutch slips in the morning before my second cup of coffee.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. Heading west out of Homedale on the road to Adrian, there will be a sign to turn left for Succor Creek SP. See you tomorrow.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Great photos. Gotta be some good stories to go along with those dramatic landforms.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Georgie's recovery. After the cattle guard, when they switch to the left track they will hit a rut/bump.
You can see the saddle-bags fly outward and Georgie gets belly-flopped - but pops right back up into riding position. She is absolutely amazing!

And Admirals OK too. :) Thanks for letting me tag along.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sharing this. Georgie has always ridden pretty well back there. Problem now is, she's getting older and jumping on and off the TW is taking it's toll on her joints. Wife said she hobbled around for a good part of the next morning. This year I've limited her riding a lot because she's getting old. But she pouts so darn much, it's hard to leave her behind!:(

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was out in this area in late April of this year, but due to time, had to skip riding down to the horse corrals. Had a big urge to find what I had missed on the earlier ride. On this day I was accompanied by Georgie and fellow rider, old w/2 many guns & bikes. Boy, I'm sure glad I came back. You have to be there in person to "feel" the awesomeness here. Riding into and standing there felt like I was in one of mother nature's cathedrals.

Bonus part of the day was being able to visit Leslie Gulch. This has some equally awesome rock formations throughout the gulch. I've ridden here before and am glad I did again.

Bonus, Bonus. Planned to ride until about 4:00 p.m., but as we approached our staging area, it was only 2:30 p.m. So, I studied the map and found a new route I hadn't ridden before, so off we went and got a couple more hours of riding in. Rode 80 something miles. It was a great day for a ride!

Right off the bat, we were treated to some scenic and interesting desert landscape views. This is Round Mountain.

Despite having to come to a stop, dig the camera out, wait for it to turn on, I was still able to get a distant photo of a small group of Pronghorn Antelope does. They had ran across the road in front of us.

Approaching our first destination, the horse corrals, we got an early peek at what a treat we were in for

The road dead ends here. There were a couple geocaches I was gonna look for, so had to park the TW's and hike from here.

First cache I looked for was to our left down the canyon. The gps coordinates bounced all over the place inside the canyon and I was unable to locate it. The view
here was well worth the hike, cache or not!

Turned around here and headed back up the canyon past our TW's to the horse corrals. There is a story or legend, that a very large man of
mixed race called "Bigfoot", had built or used these corrals to hold stolen horses. Bigfoot of the Owyhee | River Time with Nature's Apprentice

There was suppose to be another cache in the area. As before, my gps was reading very erratically. At one point my gps indicated I was within
11 feet while standing inside this circle corral. Next moment it would read 300 to 400 feet away. When I got back home, I went to the geocache
website to see if there were any hints as to the location of the cache. Turns out, I was right to begin with. It was within the corral.

There were other rock walls built in various area's nearby

The landscape here was just awesome

And what else would you expect to find near the old horse corrals? A wild horse of course!

more to come

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After departing Three Finger Gulch horse corrals, we then headed over to Leslie Gulch and Lake Owyhee. Leslie Gulch is a popular destination with lots of ATV'ers and fishermen when the reservoir is full.

At this time of year I expect the water level at Lake Owyhee to be low, but didn't expect it to be this low. Been here before about this time of year and it wasn't this low. The "lake" has disappeared and you can only see the Owyhee River channel. You can easily see how high the water level get during it's peak.

Don't get to ride down here all the time. Here is old w/2 many guns & bikes enjoying the lake bottom!

After we ate lunch at the nearby Slocum Creek campground area, we departed. Here are some of the rock formations as we departed Leslie Gulch.

I'm no rockologist, but after leaving Leslie Gulch, we ran into this neat place. By the way there was another geocache here I did not find 0 for 3!

At least I know where to go if bad weather rolls in and I'm close by!

Well, a decision had to be made. Back on the main road 5 miles from our staging area, way to early, we decided to add some miles and time to our ride today.
On the map I saw a place called "Camp Cabin". Of course I've got to check this out and see if there is a cabin. Sure enough, it's there. Nice little
fixer upper. Looked to be used in more modern times, but without occupancy, building deteriorate quickly in the desert.

Master bedroom

And the "facilities". Some repair would be required before use.

Then we headed down Camp Kettle Creek Rd towards camp. Decided to take a short side trip. I thought this might be either Kettle Creek Falls, or
Devil's Gate. Turned out to be neither, but has a very sad interesting history of it's own. EDIT 25 Sep 14. Thanks to old w/2 many guns & bikes,
this area is in fact Devil's Gate.

From above (Devil's Gate)

And from below. Was suppose to be another cache here. Someone else was here looking at the same time I was, and we were looking in
completely separate locations. Neither of us found the cache.

The sad part. It looks like a dry waterfall inside this canyon. Back in 1999, a woman named Debbie Boleyn fell while rock climbing. It took
a search and rescue team to find her body. Body of hiker recovered by sheriff's posseTracy Widner / Argus Observer / April 12, 1999 - Argus Observer | Ontario, OR: News

There is a Cross and Tribute rock place here in her honor

We then departed and headed back to the staging area. Georgie was oh so tired when we arrived!

Turned out to be another great day to ride. Enjoy and take care.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Cathedral like is right, wow, that Three Finger Gulch is very scenic. Great destinations.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for clearing this up. It is Devil's Gate. I was confused when looking on the geocache website, as they list the starting point and named a multi-cache, as Devil's Gate. The starting point for this cache is in another nearby location causing me the confusion. I had seen pictures of Kettle Falls before and this didn't look like the place, but I wasn't sure at the time I originally posted the ride report. I've since updated the original ride report to reflect this as Devil's Gate. Thanks again for clearing this up.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts