TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A newbie on transporting in back of my truck (this last summer my first). But I worry.

The tension you folks might recommend on the front forks? Tight enough, did that BUT what is to tight????

Can you screw up the the front shocks?

Seeking a rule of thumb of tension. A refesher is in order for me. Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
A newbie on transporting in back of my truck (this last summer my first). But I worry.

The tension you folks might recommend on the front forks? Tight/or tight enough?

What is the tension?

I tighten until I take all the play out of the front forks.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
If you tighten the tie down straps until all the play is out of the forks, you are likely to cause a leak in the fork seals, especially in an older bike.

Here's a fork support that is placed between the front tire and the triple tree. Put it in place and then you can crank the ties tight without damaging the fork seals.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/202/4170/ITEM/MSR-Racing-Fork-Support.aspx\

A better price from Rocky Mt. ATV

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=307&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webCatId=31&prodFamilyId=9521

I have seen these fork supports home made from a piece of wood.

The bad part is you have to remove the fender to use the support.

Hope you are also using a chock for the front wheel.

jb

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you tighten the tie down straps until all the play is out of the forks, you are likely to cause a leak in the fork seals, especially in an older bike.

Here's a fork support that is placed between the front tire and the triple tree. Put it in place and then you can crank the ties tight without damaging the fork seals.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/202/4170/ITEM/MSR-Racing-Fork-Support.aspx\

A better price from Rocky Mt. ATV

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=307&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webCatId=31&prodFamilyId=9521

I have seen these fork supports home made from a piece of wood.

The bad part is you have to remove the fender to use the support.

Hope you are also using a chock for the front wheel.

jb

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
I tie the tires to the frame. That way very little compression is needed and guaranteed it won't fall off the trailer and I just tie the bike so it won't fall over.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
I cinch the forks down snuggly, but not to the bottom. They have very little if any, play left, but are definite not to the bottom. The front wheel is prevented from lateral movement by two 2x4's screwed to the deck bottom of my trailer. I also tiedown the rear of the bike, so I have a four point tiedown. I travel some very rough roads and the tie downs have never released nor has a bike ever even shifted.

My CT70 is carried on the front of my truck and I compress the front forks with tie downs too. I have done this for 10+ years and the forks have never leaked. Once again I do not compress the fork to the bottom, just until they are very firm and the bike is secured.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a wood 4X4 with carpet on top and bottom that I put between the fender and tree. Seems to work good.

Wayne.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
1/2 to 3/4, front and back. 46 years of transporting bikes and never had one fall. I've seen forks and shocks sag from too many overnights strapped down tight. When stopping for more than a meal and gas, loosen the straps. I've seen the front corner of a pickup bed used for a chock, and the differing angles resulted in bent forks when they were pulled down tight.

More important are the straps you use. Thise are the best I ever had, built in soft ties, spring loaded clips so the hooks don't come off the tiedown rings, sturdy ratchets:

These red ones are among the worst since the curved part of the hook does not wrap a full 180*, make sure the hooks are bent well around like the orange straps:

I found a bunch of these at a yard sale, cut the straps off the ratchets, cut the hooks off the long straps, and sewed the long straps to the ratchets for bundling straps, used for keeping things that are folded or rolled folded or rolled, things like tarps, tents, and sleeping bags.

I never use the type you push a lever with your thumb and pull the webbing through. I have seen many bikes fall because that type slips. They are no better than rubber bungie cords. Ratchets only for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I have a short bed so when I close the tailgate we have pressure ( I feel chocks are really not needed) plus the wife has her tubs of overkill vacation stuff on either side.

Thanks for the thought on slacking her down at stops/and or during loading which takes a few days. The bike is first to be loaded, then the kayak above that on a over head rack. I always worry about the tension given I only need to tension the front forks...Hence my worry about the front suspencion tension..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts