TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the insane work hours that I put in over the last six months I am ready to buy a new motorcycle. I have gone back and forth a million times on which bike I will choose and it has come down to either the Yamaha R3 or the all new Kawasaki Versys 300. I like them both and my primary use will be longish day trips so I think they would both serve my intended purpose. What say you?

Tom

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Kawasaki looks to have a better seating angle but I'm not familiar with either.

Nobody is familiar with the Kawasaki. It has not even been made available for the magazine writers yet:(

Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
My vote says get something heavier. I like 10 plus hour days and every time I do it on a light bike I get tired. I'm not saying a Harley but maybe the larger verseys or a v strom. Either way you said either or so I say the Kawi

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
My vote says get something heavier. I like 10 plus hour days and every time I do it on a light bike I get tired. I'm not saying a Harley but maybe the larger verseys or a v strom. Either way you said either or so I say the Kawi
The Kawi does look nice but I would have to agree with VG on a vote for something larger if you're going to be taking all day long trips. You'll appreciate the heavier weight and more power.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
"The powerplant of the Versys-X 300 is derived from the Ninja 300 and produces 39 hp and 19 ft.-lbs. of torque — respectable peak numbers that are comparable to bikes in the 400-650cc range. A wet weight of 386 lbs means the Versys-X 300 is no lightweight enduro but keep in mind, this is a fully-equipped adventure touring bike with windscreen, big tank, rear rack, etc. And with fuel economy around 70 mpg, the big 4.5-gallon (17-liter) fuel tank should give an impressive range of 300 miles between fill ups."

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see a lot of people recommending larger bikes so I figured I would expound a bit. I live in a very rural section of upstate NY and as such the roads are narrow and twisty with lots of little or tiny towns sprinkled about. This means lots of transitions from 55 mph down to 30 mph and everything in between. Absolutely no need for anything heavy or powerful I just need a bike with enough grunt to pull the hills and accelerate respectfully enough to take advantage of short passing lanes/areas. I think both bikes I listed would be capable but am torn on styling. I have read all of the "on paper reviews" on the Versys but nobody has actually ridden one yet and if the engine is exactly the same from the Ninja 300 then it needs to be way up in the revs to find that useable horsepower. The Yamaha on the other hand has more torque available throughout but still likes to rev as well.

My idea of day trips involves back roads not freeways and probably lots of stops to take in the charms of the small towns. Lots of historical sites and scenery up this way and I enjoy stopping and learning about them along the way. Does this change anyones opinion?

Tom

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not pick up a used BMW GS, a 1100 or 1150??? Every TW owner needs a GS too.

Typically a good used GS will have excellent maintenance records and TONS of FARKLES for $3-5K.

WAY more bike than any of the new 300-650cc bikes out there. Just saying - :p
Bring More Wallet bikes are for other people. I am a minimalist at heart and enjoy finding that balance between just enough and too much. I love buying my cars lightly used but for some completely unfounded reason do not feel nearly as comfortable buying a motorcycle used.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have to go by what I know! Your finger lakes region is a perfect place for such an adventure bike. With my 30 inch inseam I go for a bike with a comfortable seat height and I don't want one that needs to be lowered messing with the geometry. I also go with a bike brand that is sold at a local dealership with an excellent reputation because just getting the best deal at the initial sale is only a good option if the service after the sale is dependable. Having been the GM at a shop that sold both Kawi and Yams I can say for sure IMO the Yamaha's were the better bikes with very few exceptions. How the dealer will treat you will be an important consideration as well as where the dealer is in relation to your home. I know I am preaching to the choir with you so just make the smartest decision and enjoy your new ride.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Like the Kaw....of course I would get the Green Color, but that's just because back in the day....my first ride purchased in March 1974{I think I paid about $1899 out the door} for the 250f11 "on/off road" as they called it back then before the Dual Sport....the 300 looks capable enough to get not only good gas miles per gallon, but enough speed to stay up with traffic:

kawasaki1974-f11[1]250.jpg

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Bring More Wallet bikes are for other people. I am a minimalist at heart and enjoy finding that balance between just enough and too much. I love buying my cars lightly used but for some completely unfounded reason do not feel nearly as comfortable buying a motorcycle used.

Tom
I agree Tom have had mostly NEW rides, and out of the handful of "used" or "slighty used" bikes, only the 1978 Suzuki 550 was worth a damn....the rest were basically somebody else's junk that they ran to death, did cosmetic work, and sold it....to some sucker{Hoot} :evil4:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Like the Kaw....of course I would get the Green Color, but that's just because back in the day....my first ride purchased in March 1974{I think I paid about $1899 out the door} for the 250f11 "on/off road" as they called it back then before the Dual Sport....the 300 looks capable enough to get not only good gas miles per gallon, but enough speed to stay up with traffic:

View attachment 84969
I had a very similar Kawi back around 1977, 350 Big horn and that same color. Back in 1972 while in the USN I bought the first of the original rice burning crotch rockets, H2, Kawasaki 750 triple that was insanely fast but not much good in any other way. The Big Horn turned out to be just about as lousy a bike and I swore off Kawis after it. Looking good and being good are two completely different functions. With the exception of our TWs I agree with going new on this bike Tom. Any damage or beating done should be all yours!

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
My day trips generally include riding on the roads and highways to places I haven't ridden off-road yet. I just can't not turn down a trail, if I miss one I will come back to it someday. The anticipation of what's down a trail is like the want of a drug (i'm guessing!) LOL

General exploring if you will, that's what I love. If off road riding was to be included at all I would go with the lighter bike. 386 lb is not crazy heavy, not lite, but lite enough to get by in the sand, definitely good enough, great in-fact for hard pack and gravel. In fact with the Ninja twin jug power-plant at 39 HP and 19 Ft lb torque it's no slouch. It should be smooth running on the road and be OK in the wind in the rider is not to light, it has a nice fairing. That engine was reworked for more low to mid-range but also retains most of the high end. In all I think it will make a good adventure bike for the type of riding I do. Your mileage will vary.

However if it was for road only then so be it get a big road pig, pass by every sandy trail wondering what would be down there and if you do turn dropping the big boys kind of sucks in the sand when no one is there to help you lift it. :)

LuvNOT should look at this bike. She was in the market.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I had this and the 90cc they were my favorite, still hold a place in my heart.

View attachment 84969

1 - 20 of 96 Posts