TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying something new, I hope it works. I am going to try to build a two piece rack, one will be small but strong mounted to the bike, the second one will be larger to hold extra fuel and gear, but can be removed when not on long trips. I was able to pick up an extra frame to use as a mock up, it really makes things easier. I will be welding the rack to the rear peg mounts, I think this will add strength. Here it is so far, next thing to do is add a bar from the back of the rack to the rear peg mounts, this will add more strength and a place for saddle bags.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was just thinking about this tonight. A minimalist rack that looks good (ie hardly noticible) that utilizes four mounting holes for the quick release of a helmet box via four posts and cotter pins. Keep showing photos. I love these projects!

·
Registered
75 Posts
: )B VEDDY Nice!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
great use of the frame! i'd like a tour of your shop, and some play time, you have some pretty nifty tools in there...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Sorry boys.....I got dibs on the first one :)
You and Ronnydog can arm wrestle for his new style piece of art that he shows above (my money is on Purple). I am hoping he will sell his old one. I just missed out on his last old one. I believe the one shown above is version 3.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys.
Purple is the front of the line, remember ladies first.
This rack is a proto-type for Purple, I am trying to build a rack that will hold more weight without bending past the seat mount and be able to handle miles and miles of riding loaded down, keep this in mind when you see the next pictures. I added stays today, to support the tail end. The whole rack can be removed by just removing the 4 bolts on the rear pegs and 2 under the seat maybe 5 minutes. I just need to add some crossbars to the top of the rack, I am thinking 3 crossbars made out of 1" by 1/8" flat bar. And then start on the rack to mount on top to hold fuel and gear.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That is a really well thought out design..looks like it would not interfere with when you come off your bike on accident. You should make a bunch of those. Ill take one too though sadly I seem to be at the end of a long line...seriously build a few and make yourself some$$$$$$.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Im liking your idea.. I want to make one in the next few months and your giving me some ideas. I want to make the rack to sit right on top of the back fender and have a rotopax mount with a 1 gal rotopax then have a 2nd story rack above it that swivels or pivots up so you can get to the rotopax below it. A raack and gas carrier in one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Small's
That's my plan, only I am going to mount the rotopax to the top removable rack. That way if you are not on a long trip, you can use the base rack for running around town. The top removable rack will also have loops for side bags.
More pictures.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
that is such nice work... execution and design... you are a master craftsman.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Troll
At this point I am looking for an early model exhaust tail pipe for mock-up or a stock TW in my area to try it on. I am not sure I have enough clearance right at the small heat shield above the rear peg.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts