TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With spring just around the corner I am getting my '06 ready for my first off road riding season in many years. That being said I will also be riding into town as well as little day trips to and from trails so I want to only consider DOT tires. Ideally from what I've read here and elsewhere the size that may be best suited would be a 26 x 8 x 14 since I will be mounting the tire onto my stock rim but there are no suitable options I can find so the next best size appears to be 26 x 9 x 14 which should also work with minimal headaches for install and no other mods required. Since I am located in Eastern Ontario (very similar to NE US) sand and sharp rocks are not common whereas mud and grassy riding is the norm with lot's of hill climbing in some areas as well.

So far my short list is;

Kenda K3201 Mastadon - has been reported by other members as a great tire and to me looks closest to stock.

Kenda K3201 Mastadon - may be better for the conditions I would most encounter but I am not sure how well it will wear on black top.

AMS M1 Evil - a brand I am not familiar with and it looks like it could work although it reminds me of an old style snow tire type tread.

All 3 of the above cost in the $175 - $185 range in Cdn dollars and besides the first one I have not found much info on the other two or any other possible options. So I am hoping some members can shed more light on these three or other options that fit my criteria for DOT and mounting on the stock rim.

As a side note I plan to go with the Shinko 241 4.0 x 18 for the front.

So, can anyone provide me with words of wisdom or other random thoughts? :)

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
With 26 x9x14 tires you will likely get minimal clearance between tire's shoulder and the portion of the swing arm where it necks down towards the front. Others have addressed this via an extended swingarm, a 8 inch tire width, a 12 inch trailer tire and/or tread trimming.
Fortunately the Kendal and AMS both seen to have nice rounded profiles so may avoid this issu.
Also the tread blocks look substantial enough to hopefully avoid the squirrelly handling that some tall delicate flexible treads deliver. For example the Ripsaw and Buzzsaw tires experimented by others here were disappointing.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
They look like nice choices and the 3201 looks similar to the Ceros I'm using but DOT approved (3201). DOT Approval is not something I've had to worry about here and have ridden quite a few pavement miles with it.

As Fred mentioned you'll have limited chain adjustment (if needed) with a 26x9x14 as the tire takes up a lot of room without an extended swing arm. That said, I've been running my 26x9x14 Ceros without issue on a non-extended swing arm.

I didn't and most Ceros users have not had to trim the tire beads to get the tire to bead on the stock rim. Compared to mounting a stock rear tire, it was more difficult to get the ATV tire on. Make sure to take small bites with the tire spoons or if you can take it to a tire shop and at least have them get the tire onto the rim. They may not set the bead for you as it often takes time, special lube, and heat to get the beads to seat. That's been the case in the vast majority of users experience with the Duro's and Ceros tires.

Another safety note, which you're probably well aware of, use an extended air hose with one of those lock to the stem air chucks. Some Duro tires have exploded, probably because of trimming the bead is more common. I've not heard of anyone using the tires you're looking at so best to be cautious.

Good luck and once mounted you're gonna absolutely love an ATV tire when riding off-road. It will feel different but you'll get use to it.

Admiral

P.S. You'll have change the gearing with a larger diameter tire (26"). I use 13x54 right now which has a little higher RPM's than the stock gearing with stock tire. I know I tried 13x50 but can't remember how this did in 5th gear. A little weak I think and had to keep downshifting to 4th but I'm not sure. Again, good luck.

P.S.S. I did the 12" trailer TW hub mod for Mrs. Admiral's TW and this is the way to go. You can use a smaller diameter and narrower tires (25x8x12) which more resembles the stock TW rear tire and can be tubeless making an on-trail tire repair much easier with a plug kit (no tube needed). Plus, the tire mounted and bead seated much easier than mounting on the stock TW rim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
do you have a pic of the bike with the trailer tire on it? I'm thinking of going that route but curious as to how it would look

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
do you have a pic of the bike with the trailer tire on it? I'm thinking of going that route but curious as to how it would look
Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone. It's a Ceros ATV tire on a 12" trailer rim.

Comparison. My Ceros on the stock TW rim left, wife's trailer rim mod w/Ceros center, stock TW tire right. (center tire is turned around which is why the tread looks wrong)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hello Miaugi and welcome to the ATV tire club :D. The change to an ATV tire is by far the best mod I have done to date. After many nights reading and researching I chose the Maxxis Ceros 26x9x14 (Non DOT). To aid in your search I suggest you give these guys a call https://fortnine.ca/en/. They use to go by the name of Canada Motorcycle and were most helpful in my purchase of both the Ceros and the Kendra 270 (Great combo of tires for the TW ). They will know what is DOT approved and give you a list of choices that will fit your bike. I also decided to extend my swing arm to allow more tire clearance and to transfer the center point of gravity as we always seem to ride two-up. Prior to the extending the bike was light on the front end and twitchy on the loose gravel so there was two options available... put Denice on a diet or modify the bike. I chose the latter and it probably saved my life. The bike now handles better and has made gravel roads much safer to ride on, plus the Ceros allows us to climb to places we would never have dared to go before. I was alittle concerned about the lack of a DOT stamp but this tire is far superior to the stock and I find it to be better on the pavement by far. Keep us posted on your findings and remember to post a ride report once you have "crossed over" to the ATV side.

PS; If you go to a larger diameter tire, you will also have to make a change to your gearing. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

Here is a DOT tire similar to the Ceros and its on sale at 47% off! https://fortnine.ca/en/ams-radial-pro-front-rear-tire

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Miaugi and welcome to the ATV tire club :D. The change to an ATV tire is by far the best mod I have done to date. .....PS; If you go to a larger diameter tire, you will also have to make a change to your gearing. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

Here is a DOT tire similar to the Ceros and its on sale at 47% off! https://fortnine.ca/en/ams-radial-pro-front-rear-tire
Hi WP, thanks for your experience with the swap over. I like the Ceros however I am looking at doing some organized rides and one of the groups mentioned they do check for DOT tire compliance and Ontario lawmakers can be picky on details so I just don't want to that guy who gets fined for not being compliant.

Thanks for the lead on that tire on sale, I missed that one when looking as I have already discovered Fortnine and bought 2 or 3 times from them and always a good experience. Not quite as cost effective as Amazon.com however I toggle between the two as I have a friend in upstate NY where I can ship my US goods to and then I drive down and cross myself with all my booty. I will post up what I end up doing but that may still be a month down the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome information, I’ll be doing the ATV tire for sure since most of my riding will be 80/20 off pavement/pavement. Anyone have a link to a good thread on the extended swingarm mod? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of installing an atv tire on the stock rim, probably a Ceros. I like the more rounded profile and general opinion is that it may seat a little easier than the Duro. I have a question for those that have been running an atv. How hard is it to remove an atv tire once you wear it out? Probably wouldn't be a factor for me, as 100% of my riding is off pavement. Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I ran a stock tire with minimal wear (rounded treads) over 3 years. But I'm not very rough on my treads. I'm sure ATV tires are difficult to change but if you have a trailer rim then I'd have no problem having a shop do it for me. It will be years before I need a new one. The stock rim however is quite difficult and even dangerous depending on the tire and getting a shop to do it is not common. They often decline. The Cero is a good choice of tread and likely will be my next tread since the efx moto 350 is a little too aggressive for me. I still like way better thern stock though.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Most motorcycle tire shops will spoon an ATV tire on, or off, for a reasonable fee.I recently paid $15. ( A month ago while in a hurry to seal my spokes and go tubeless with a new ATV tire I ended up cutting off my old Duro which was pretty well worn out after 7,000+ miles . Shop spooned on the new ATV tire)

Trouble tends to occur when tire shop attempts to seat ATV bead on a stock rim with high pressure..often leads to burst tires and bent rims. DO NOT LET THEM DO THIS!
Seat that beat at home with several day's patience, a heat source, lots of quality lube and of course prep everything by polishing wheel rim bead area and pre-trimming tire's bead.

Lots of relevant threads listed at bottom left of this page but best solution is as Admiral states: A 12" trailer wheel conversion

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not too worried about the mounting. In my 64 years, ain't seen a tire yet that I couldn't mount, some are just more difficult than others. All in technique and tools. Breaking the bead on an old tire has given me more trouble. In all reality, I'll probably never wear it out. And like Fred says, I could always cut it off. Done that on some old truck tires. Sounds like seating the bead just takes time, pump it up and let it set in a warm/hot environment. Now I've drug my feet and cold weather's here, so seating the bead may be an issue. My shop ain't heated and I know better than bring it inside the house! Maybe find a portable heater. Or just bite the bullet and go with the trailer wheel mod. Thanks for the input.

Mike

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I'm not too worried about the mounting. In my 64 years, ain't seen a tire yet that I couldn't mount, some are just more difficult than others. All in technique and tools. Breaking the bead on an old tire has given me more trouble. In all reality, I'll probably never wear it out. And like Fred says, I could always cut it off. Done that on some old truck tires. Sounds like seating the bead just takes time, pump it up and let it set in a warm/hot environment. Now I've drug my feet and cold weather's here, so seating the bead may be an issue. My shop ain't heated and I know better than bring it inside the house! Maybe find a portable heater. Or just bite the bullet and go with the trailer wheel mod. Thanks for the input.

Mike
It was chilly when I mounted my Ceros. I used a portable heater and draped plastic over the ensemble to concentrate/contain the heat. I repeated airing and deflating & applied a generous amount of lube between each cycle. I also used an extended air hose/locking chuck so I could keep my distance in case something went wrong. Nothing did.

I did the trailer mod on my wife’s TW. After the mod was completed mounting the tire was way easier and no drama.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Admiral's "repeated airing and deflating & applied a generous amount of lube between each cycle" is a good strategy. Worked for me in 60 degree temperatures and at 30psi. Broke the bead down each time all the way around circumference. I had used a belt sander on the ATV bead first to ope diameter up a bit until cords and steel belting were almost exposed.
Without a tube I was worried my compressor could not put out enough C.F.M. to initiate bead seating so was ready with the old trick of starter fluid ( with valve core removed to hopefully reduce potentially damaging peak pressures). I've used this on tractor and 4x4 tires sucessfully.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Admiral - I like the "tent with a heater" idea. What kind of pressure were you using?
Fred - I'm familiar with the "starter fluid" trick, but not brave enough.

Mike

·
Registered
795 Posts
We just need a retired person to start manufacturing and selling the trailer wheel option. I will take one powder coated black with a Duro V2?????
I had thought about doing this after I fabbed a hub for a twelve inch a tv rim. do u bt many of them would sell though as it would end up being over 300 for the hub. I still have a pattern for it. I used a stock tw hub as a start point and went from there. you can see pics and directions in a t bread called "big wheel your tw"

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Admiral - I like the "tent with a heater" idea. What kind of pressure were you using?
Fred - I'm familiar with the "starter fluid" trick, but not brave enough.

Mike
I would air it up to around 80 psi. When I finally got the first side to seat the second side seated on the rim within minutes of inflating it. Each side made a loud bang when it seated so expect that.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
IIRC, I saw Smightification on youtube had an ATV tire not seat properly on a TW rim and fail. It's one reason (that and possibility of exploding a tire) I was hesitant to try it with a stock rim but after riding one on a trailer rim I think it's worth the effort either way.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm getting close at about 8000 miles on my Dubster for a new rear tire (my 241 front is good longer) ....let us know how it goes with change and performance. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts