TW200 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Don, the Cerros as well as the new Duro2 are proven winners. TW-Brian let me ride his Duro2 equiped 223cc six speed and was so impressed it took all my self control not to ride off into the sunset on it.
However I had just finished this IRC TerraCross install. Very rounded profile, very agressive tread either shreds or floats leaving deer-like hoof prints ( see small mule print for comparison ) Good manners so far.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I put a set of those on my tractor, fortunately the tractor didn't need a swing arm extension:cool:

If clearances are too tight there is this Russian technique. Hear it works on shaving elections too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Everything in that video is a threat to life and limb. That last segment the guy was shaving a tire with a Lancelot blade on an angle grinder. Google Lancelot and the first three images that come up are mangled faces, arms, and hands. That darned thing is dangerous just sitting on the shelf at Harbor Freight.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are quite a few threads on the atv tyre choices and fitting. Just quickly I went for the duro 26x8 and its a very close thing clearance wise. Necessary to have wheel set back and a longer chain might be needed. But an extended swingarm not needed. As for fitting, it was NOT easy. Took a week of inflating, re inflating, lubing in the hot summer sun everyday. That didnt work. I took to tyre place who fitted the tyre and they flexed it with hydraulic bead breaker over and over, lubed it. Out in the hot sun and inflated, inflated, inflated until BANG! And then BANG! Both sides seated. 90psi.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Good review of the Ag tyre.
Even if swingarm clearances are not large those lugs would likely shred any pinecones or small furry animals
that get in the way.
Interested in your cornering impressions. :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cornering was heavier due to the squared rear profile, but really not bad. Grip is fine if not improved going in and out of ruts, and side hilling (quite extreme in a few cases) the square profile seemed to dig in and actually hold me better on line then a buddy on his stock tw. Now, i will be going back to my modified stock tire for DOT compliance but i will try and wear this 27” sucker out first

·
Registered
116 Posts

What tire and size is that gnarly beast?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Shut the front door! That thing is cool as creek water. Are they as easy to use as they appear in the YouTube videos? I do have an older rear tire with some tread that I could practice on if its not too unwieldy. May consider getting one if so.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another question... did the modification improve the traction as much as it seems like it might? If so, this strikes me as a brilliant solution to the absence of pretty much any other rear tire option and a more painless and sustainable alternative to switching to an atv tire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the Van Alstine works well, its pricy though. I only charge 30$ per tire to groove but shipping tires to/from Canada might be cost prohibitive

Those tire grroves are all i need to be happy, the agg tire was just for fun.

I have also siped most of the tread blocks for increased snow/ice traction for hunting season. I’m sure it will wear faster but thats ok.

I really could use a second rear wheel but the ebay ones are all 300$ delivered.... ouch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also note.... technically you loose DOT rating when you groove a tire. If you worry about that kind of thing...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also note.... technically you loose DOT rating when you groove a tire. If you worry about that kind of thing...
From a pure risk vs reward perspective, the risk of being ticketed for the technical loss of the DOT rating wouldn’t deter me from the advantages.

Reactions: Phill
21 - 35 of 35 Posts