TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some very tired Malcom Smith Racing gear (enduro jacket, etc). I don't think the Klim is in the budget but FirstGear looks decent. Please share your riding gear brand/style and recommendation. I have a nearly permanent hip strawberry that I do not want to repeat. No more wranglers in lieu of riding pants! And, I think the list needs to include boot recommendations. I like the shorties because I can walk in them and the larger ones inhibit my walking skills.
Don't be shy. Thanks for your views!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Klim gear $$$!!!???
I hope it is unbelievably excellent considering the prices.
Not a chance I will ever buy anything from them unfortunately.

For my budget (low) I am very happy with the Competition Accessories Slider Adventure gear.
I have the pants:
Sliders Adventure Kevlar Motorcycle Pants - Competition Accessories

I don't have the jacket but I would get one if I needed another jacket:
Sliders Adventure Kevlar Motorcycle Jackets - Competition Accessories

I also have a pair of their Kevlar jeans (Soft but baggy) and a pair of their Kevlar Cargo pants (Love 'em!)
Also waterproof insulated gloves and other stuff.

I have a few items from Cycle Gear and their Bilt Adventure gear gets reasonable reviews and their prices are great.
Or as we tend to say "their stuff is cheap, and it doesn't cost much either"
They also have an excellent no-question satisfaction guaranty.
I don't think it is the same quality level as the Sliders gear though.

I also have nice First Gear armored with thermal liner over-pants and they are very nice too.
I just loaned them to a friend for a ride yesterday in fact since he doesn't have any armored pants.

Boots? I have several different styles for riding different bikes and/or terrain.
Low boots for commuting in good weather but waterproof high boots for dual sport on/off road riding and ATV boots for more challenging off road riding.
There are many great boots but they are something you really need to be able to try on and walk around in.
Go to the shops and check out what fits your feet and the styles you like, then go online and read reviews of each one before making your choice.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I really want some pants with knee hip and slide protection. Interested to hear what others use too. I am very happy with my Sidi Goretex adventure boots. They are protective water proof and very comfortable to walk in.
001.JPG

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
One observation. Depending on what you do think carefully about jackets with waterproof liners. What that means is the entire shell can get soaked but the water will stop before it gets to you. They can become heavy and waterlogged. If you are traveling and camp where the temperature drops below freezing at night you can have a frozen jacket in the morning. Jackets with waterproof outer shells avoid this.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I wear a Rev'it sand 2 jacket/pant set and have for the last few years. Overall i am very happy with it. It has zip in thermal and rain liners and everything works well. My only beef with the liners is the thermal on the jacket could provide better coverage over the chest, it has sort of an open spot in the center where the zipper is. I have worn it down to below freezing and been comfortable everywhere but that one little strip( a good base layer pretty much fixes it). It vents well enough that i have been fine into the high 90's. They also sell a cool liner for this jacket which i do not own, i do want one but its never been on the priority list. Like i said overall i'm very happy with it, I have worn both pieces a bunch both on the street and in the woods and durability has not been an issue. Price wise they are a little more expensive than say first gear or joe rocket but nowhere near as costly as a klim.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
These all look like good suggestions for those that live in the Arctic :) What about for those of use who live in the jungle? (south east)
True. I was basically thinking adventure travel. Regardless of climate that is what I would take, too warm in some places if you aren't moving well for sure, not warm enough in others (fixed with an electric jacket liner). For a short ride off road I wear Klim Mojave pants (in the boot), same boots, and a mx jersey. Depending I might add a Speed and Strength mesh jacket or even a non mesh leather jacket.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Well Doc, I'm heading off to buy a new Gerbing jacket liner right now. Nice day so I'll take the new KLR...it's about 100 miles round trip. The one I looked at over there did say made in USA. I don't have many choices locally and time is short. I tested my bazillion year old Widder vest last night...nada. So, time to spend coin, and spend it on what's available.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I too rock MSR, I have the axis riding gear, helmet, jacket and riding boots. I wasn't crazy about their MX boots so I recently bit the bullet and purchased Gaerne classic trials boots (totally amazing)! I found MSR to be a decent brand and I switch off between two pant and jersey sets I have. If it's too hot and I plan to hit the trails I'll sport my Answer chest protector in favor of the MSR jacket.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I don't do a whole bunch of riding. What I need, I buy from Cycle Gear. Not bad, does the job.

Many times while reading about all of your rides I envision myself going on these adventurous excursions.

My envy grows to such extent that plans ALMOST get made... often.

Sure, we get to go to the Pine Barrens, and I love that, but the trips you guys and gals get to go on are just amazing to me. We are located right near NYC, so there are no places to ride off-road at all. The Pine Barrens, being 2 hours away are the closest.
You West Coasters have some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen.

Thank you all for your gear recommendations and incredible stories.

....One Day.....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Forcefield has good hip protection. I've been using their armored shorts. Tough and flexible. Washable too. Made in England. Find it used on ebay or Advrider flea market.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am leaning toward the FirstGear HT Overpants (thanks for the good report from TWilight) and FirstGear Jaunt 2 jacket. Any opinions or concerns on these? Still need to find new boots and gloves. I really ike the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots. Are they too much tour oriented or equally well suited for off road?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wayne, for the "price"...that Jaunt 2 is about the best jacket you can buy. Go for it !
ORDERED! And ordered Gaerne G-Adventure Boots as well. Many thanks for the mentoring Mike, and others. Can't find this help on any other forum.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Yep Doc, still says made in USA...with imported and domestic materials. Not sure how much that modifies the original claim.

I even sprung for the heat-troller, which is a serious jump in technology for me since the old Widder was rigged with an on off switch, and I would have to toggle back and forth to keep from alternately roasting or freezing.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I saw the question about the balance oiled boots too late. But I will answer it for further reference of others. No, they are not tour oriented, they are a full featured off road boot. They are similar to trials boots in relation to the sole. Very solid protection for the foot and shin, and mine at least are totally waterproof. They are a bit expensive but can be found less than retail if you shop around. It's a popular boot, I know Hoot, Montezuma, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Trip, all wear them as do I. The overriding feature of the balance oiled boots is their extreme comfort, you can literally wear them all day on the bike and then around town and to supper if you are not carrying extra foot gear and you will not be uncomfortable in the least.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw the question about the balance oiled boots too late. But I will answer it for further reference of others. No, they are not tour oriented, they are a full featured off road boot. They are similar to trials boots in relation to the sole. Very solid protection for the foot and shin, and mine at least are totally waterproof. They are a bit expensive but can be found less than retail if you shop around. It's a popular boot, I know Hoot, Montezuma, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Trip, all wear them as do I. The overriding feature of the balance oiled boots is their extreme comfort, you can literally wear them all day on the bike and then around town and to supper if you are not carrying extra foot gear and you will not be uncomfortable in the least.
Thanks for the followup! I had a really hard time with the boots decision and bought a lesser version of the Gaerne line. If it does not look and feel and fit like the hundreds of reviews I read said it will, I will return it and add more precious coin to get the balance oiled boot. I have to admit the price tag was daunting. (Note, this statement from a guy that spent nearly $1,000 on farkles for the TW.)

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
If you end up going with the Balance Oiled, check with Hoot, I think he said he got a very good price on them.

***Also note that there is a boot called the Gaerne Balance Pro Tech which initially appears identical, it is nowhere near the boot the Balance Oiled is. An easy way to tell is the Balance Oiled have (or at least did have) red on the top velcro tab and the Pro Tech do not.

·
Registered
807 Posts
To be sure........are these the ones your speaking of?

Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots - RevZilla

Couple things, are they super warm? Remember, I live in the jungle :)
If the link are the boots.....there are a number of negative reviews on them not actually being waterproof, whats your experience?

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Those are the ones. They are not super warm, I wore them comfortably in Moab as did others. (Also in Big Bend and Old Mexico) Mine are totally waterproof after two years. Despite Doc's soggy boot comments, I just recently waded around in James Bay with them and they stayed dry. I also rode in rain for two days with no issues. I think Hoot found them quite a bit cheaper than Revzilla.

Jafrum has them for $270 and Motostorm for $226 but they are overseas so if you don't get the size right the first time shipping might suck.

Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots - Jafrum

Gaerne Balance Oiled Brown | MotoStorm [en]

Hoot might have got his from Motocard, I'm not sure.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts