TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure you have heard this before but I am excited to learn! So what are the things to check out, pay attn and any other things I should do soon? Any must have accessories? The bike does have a taller rear sprocket, but I do have the stock as well. Most of my riding will be northern Wisconsin back road and sandy dirt trail. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. Regards, Larry

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
Welcome to the forum Larry!! :D

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Not enough info about your bike and it's condition. How fresh are the tires and are they stock? How fresh is the chain and sprockets? Is the bike running fine now or has it been sitting for a while? Is the tank clean and rust free inside? Garage kept for 28 years or ridden hard and put up wet a lot? And the most important question is How deep are your pockets because we know how to spend other members money really well.

Welcome to the asylum and I too have a very nice 1989 robin egg blue TW with one quarter the miles yours has.

GaryL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike was casually back road and trail driven at previous owners cabin and well maintained. It runs like a top, tank is rust free, chain and sprocket are good, tires are 1 year old Shenkos. The tires are fine as I am not looking to get real aggressive off road, just play on some trails and get around on the dirt roads. All things work as they should and very happy how smooth it runs, shifts handles et cetera. Just want to stay on top of things and looking for some pointers. Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Bike was casually back road and trail driven at previous owners cabin and well maintained. It runs like a top, tank is rust free, chain and sprocket are good, tires are 1 year old Shenkos. The tires are fine as I am not looking to get real aggressive off road, just play on some trails and get around on the dirt roads. All things work as they should and very happy how smooth it runs, shifts handles et cetera. Just want to stay on top of things and looking for some pointers. Thanks, Larry
Welcome to the forum. I would say to keep the bike topped up with fresh quality oil and keep the valves in spec. Other than that just take it slow and learn how the bike handles different road/trail surfaces before you start pushing it too hard. To me at least, the best upgrade "after a decent front tire" is a better headlight. LED upgrades are quite inexpensive and the factory bulb is horrible if you get caught out after dark. Oh yeah, quality ethanol free gas "if it's available" the occasional dose of Seafoam and clean and oil the air filter. Honestly doing proper routine maintenance on the TW is so quick and easy it is actually enjoyable. Check your chain slack often or put either an X-ring or O-ring chain on it now and you can all but forget about it for months at a time.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
We don't often hear the rear tire was replaced with a Shinko. I will be interested in knowing which tire fit. Most here are pretty satisfied with the original rear Bridgestone but do go with some other tire up front.

Sounds like you found a gem so just take care of it and it will pay you back in spades.

GaryL

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was wondering why you would replace the front tire. I am a new user and have a 2003 tw200 with original tires and only 2000 miles. I also would like to know some upgrades that are a must. My bike is mainly stock. Thanks,
Parker

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D The tire is a 30 year old design which wasn't any good when it first came out. Ok for street, no good off road in most conditions. They want to wash out on you and make you dump your bike. There are many better tires than the TW front tire. The stock rear tire on the other hand, is pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
A lot of folks like the Shinko 241. I have a 244, but I think the 241 is better.

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
I would recommend another stock tire. The rear tire is actually pretty good. There are larger ATV tires available, some with modifications to the swingarm and some not.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like the Shinko 241 as the TW front tire.

The stock TW31 front tire has a bad reputation here and I agree. It is just ok on road but off road is where it really lacks grip. There are numerous other choices you should choose from if you want to use your TW in the dirt. And most will work better on road also.

The rear tire works much better all around.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Getting back to the original poster: When you say you have a taller rear sprocket; do you mean taller as in higher geared (so more street oriented) - or - a taller (or larger) sprocket which is lower gearing for better off-road performance? One mod that has not been mentioned lately is to weld (or JB?) the left alignment adjuster to the axle bolt head so it does not slip around on the axle while trying to adjust the adjusters.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was wondering why you would replace the front tire. I am a new user and have a 2003 tw200 with original tires and only 2000 miles. I also would like to know some upgrades that are a must. My bike is mainly stock. Thanks,
Parker
In my opinion the stock front tire is just fine and doesn't have any real issues. I rode hundreds of miles in all conditions with it from mountain single track to desert to road and not one negative experience. It handles perfectly fine but I think it's more pressure sensitive than other tires. The 241 on the other hand handles better with a little more pressure which is convenient so you don't have to air up and down when changing terrain. The 241 is also a trials tire which has softer stickier tread that grips some terrain better.

One mistake people do make is they go from the stock width front tire to a much wider tire. They think it'll help float better in sand and gravel. This in my opinion takes away from the stability and handling of the tw and actually makes them handle worse. My other bike is a ktm 500 exc. It has a 21" 80mm wide front tire. That's equal to 3.15" wide which is probably an inch thinner than the stock tw front tire and 2" thinner than some 5.10" that people install. Even though it's an inch thinner my ktm handles a million times better in sand mud and every other terrain, it's all about the wheelbase, frame geometry, angles, center of gravity etc.

So to make a long story short, don't let people scare you about the deathwing as most call it. It's not bad, but you may like other tires better for your type of riding. And last, even though my ktm can go faster than my tw in 3rd gear and handles way better in every situation, I still enjoy my tw equally as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts