TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been itching to ride for a few years now and I'm finally ready to buy a T-dub - really excited. I've searched and found a few good tips to avoid scams, but what are some good questions to ask when buying? I've noticed some ads say 'pink-slip in hand', what does that mean? I haven't rode since I was a kid, it's going to be an interesting test drive. Can't wait to post pics of my AZ trips here.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Welcome. "Pink slip" is synonymous with "title" or deed. Buying a motorcycle is really no different than buying a car. Never pay full; or asked price. When was last ridden, started, oil/ filter change, is there anything wrong with it, why are you selling it; etc., etc.. Assess the seller. If they look like a mutt reconsider. If his teeth are nasty; the teeth in the transmission likely are too People lie. No it's true; they do. Look, listen, and feel. Trust your gut. Don't be in too much of a hurry. Look around, and be diligent abou checking places like Craigslist, and Cycle Trader every day. The early bird gets the worm. Trust your gut. Oh; did I say that already. Ride it; hard. Wring it out. Have a knowledgable friend with you. Trust your gut.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Great name.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
First thing I do when I go to look at something motorized is feel how 'warm' the engine is. Not so much on an automobile because now-a-days hard starting is pretty much a non-issue. On bikes, lawnmowers etc, a hot engine may mean someone just test drove it, or the seller wanted to warm it up so it starts ok for you. Hard starting is not a deal breaker but generally means lots of fooling around for you and you should be advised of that before hand by the seller. A warm engine might mean nothing more than a drive to the store to pick up something for the wife two hours ago, but I am wary of hot as it suggests the start was in preparation for my arrival. Gerry

·
Registered
425 Posts
First thing I do when I go to look at something motorized is feel how 'warm' the engine is. Not so much on an automobile because now-a-days hard starting is pretty much a non-issue. On bikes, lawnmowers etc, a hot engine may mean someone just test drove it, or the seller wanted to warm it up so it starts ok for you. Hard starting is not a deal breaker but generally means lots of fooling around for you and you should be advised of that before hand by the seller. A warm engine might mean nothing more than a drive to the store to pick up something for the wife two hours ago, but I am wary of hot as it suggests the start was in preparation for my arrival. Gerry

Great advice.

I'd like to add; I'd be hesitant about buying a bike if the owner won't let you go for a test ride - unless it's an expensive show bike or a 200+ hp superbike there's no reason to not let someone try it out if they show up on a bike of their own or bring some cash in hand.

Usually CL scams are dead obvious and easy to avoid - in my area I keep seeing the same one pop up - a 2003 CBR600RR in "like new" condition for $2300. It's gotta be abused or stolen, that's for sure. That or it's a shipping scam. Deal in person and be wary buying a really low priced bike. If something doesn't feel right, don't buy it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great answers, really helpful. I just missed a like-new 08 near LA for 2300, going to look at an 06 with 6K miles for 1800, been sitting for 2 years, tires look worn, think I'll offer 1600. I'd rather buy a low-milage 08 for 2300 than pay 1800 for a beat-up 06. Can't wait to ride!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 08 has right at 6000 miles and my chain is shot. Look at the chain tensioner. If it is at 6 or more on the numbers it should be replaced along with the sprockets. Not a hard thing to do but maybe you can use this as negotiating tool.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 08 has right at 6000 miles and my chain is shot. Look at the chain tensioner. If it is at 6 or more on the numbers it should be replaced along with the sprockets. Not a hard thing to do but maybe you can use this as negotiating tool.

Thanks for mentioning that. I figured I'd have to replace some parts, but it'd be a good way to get familiar with my bike. Where are these numbers exactly?

·
Registered
503 Posts
numbers are located right where the rear axle bolts through the swing arm. The numbers are stamped into a piece of funny looking rounded metal. If anything, do a bunch of reading here in the forums. All of your questions have been answered if you know where to look. That being said, don't be afraid to ask either. All the members here are a great bunch. Good luck, get greasy, ride safe!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Tim. I've been lurking the classifieds here for a few years, but not owning a TW, I've missed a lot of basics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm glad some of these new rider/buyer threads are starting to pop up. I'm starting to save up for a TW myself and hopefully will have enough to start hunting a good deal by next fall.

Bama, I'm in Birmingham (Homewood specifically), so when it comes time for me to look, I'll be asking you alot of questions, lol.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Avi Kwame,

Seems as if you're willing to travel as far as L.A., and if you live where I think you live that's a lot of traveling.

Within reason I'm good for S.B. County if you get a lead and want someone to check it out for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd learn what you can about general motorcycle maintenance before you buy. I've borrowed some books from the library on motorcycle repair and maintenance. If you have any friends who ride they could be a great asset.

If the bike has a rusty or loose chain or cables are not adjusted, it likely has not had proper maintenance. Pull the spark plug look at it and look down in the combustion chamber. If you don't know what it should look like google some photos they are worth a thousand words. Ride the bike and check shifting all gears up and down several times. Check head/break lights and blinkers. If your a serious buyer bring cash. I wouldn't buy a vehicle without a clean open title and checking the sellers photo ID and a bill of sale. Some states require a notary in a title transfer.

Take MSF course, get some protective gear(helmet, jacket, gloves, pants,boots). I bought everything but boots and I broke my foot wearing my normal weather work boots hitting a stump off road @20 MPH. So yeah I'm a dumbass

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
i've bought 2 bikes off craigslist now and sold 1...some of this may have been covered but...try to find a stock bike...that way there are no issues when you have to get it inspected...modifications like racks, brush guards, handlebars etc. are no big deal but if lights, fenders, electrical, etc have been modified you may want to pass unless you are mechanically inclined or know that they will pass inspection in your area...these things can sometimes help you negotiate a lower price....make sure you get a title and previous owners registration...check VIN numbers on documents against bike...talk to seller on the phone, not texts and emails...

seems like there are better deals out your way...i got my 2000 for $1500 with 8k miles...not many of them used around my area so i had to snatch it up...post up ads so we can check out what you're looking at...someone might point out something you didn't catch...good luck man and welcome to the addiction!

use this site for craigslist searches...

http://www.searchtempest.com/

edit:

AZ bikes found...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/3389594608.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/3327478001.html

these looks like they are being sold by the same person...same phone number

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3278498550.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3257551725.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts