TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone given this some thought? There aren't any mouse inserts for the rear tire size (14 inch rim) but there are for the front tire, which is really more like a standard rear 18 inch dirt bike tire size.

But I was wondering if those tire balls inserts could actually be used for absolute flat prevention? Run no air in rear tire, just a bunch of those tire balls and a bead lock, or two.

EDIT: Hey now, someone has done it on an ATV tire for a quad so why not the TW ?

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Have considered tire balls but never tried due to complications. Initial cost is high, as is installation costs and difficulties. Plus each ball gets its pressure set prior to installation, and changing individual pressures requires dismounting the tire. Supposedly only for off-road use means they might compromise the streetability of our Dual Sport machines.
Lots of advantages though!

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
I spoke with TrailScout years past who experimented with a TUBLISS on the front of his TW he runs in cactus country. He was unimpressed, mentioned something about his horses doing a better job of avoiding the cholla cactus punctures.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True about all mousse systems and high speed road riding, they aren't recommended because of heat. If the road sections are not fast or long, then the tire balls could work. 8 psi in the rear tire is amazing on the TW. I only worried about true sharp object punctures, not pinch flats. Currently Tubliss Front and Rear on the Beta, never had a leak or flat. And they maintain the low pressure side very well. I have only had to check the high pressure bladder every other week, it seems to drop 10-15 psi every couple weeks, from the 110 psi setting. I have definitely have had some very cringe worthy hard rim strikes on ledge and root, right through to the rims, but always came away with no leak. I'm surprised my rims aren't bent.

I currently looking at XT250's. I may get another small street/off road worthy 4 stroke this summer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts