• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long ago, Admiral purchased a Shinko SR244 "Golden Boy" front tire for his TW. I was impressed and decided to get one as well to replace my balding Cheng Shin. I couldn't find an SR 244 and so purchased a Kenda K270. On our ride today we were amazed at how similar these two tires tread patterns really are. Both are excellent tires for both street and trail and did much to reduce the "pucker factor" when riding on gravel roads.

Now, if you have either of these tires, you're excused from this test, but if not, see if you can guess which is which - which tire is on the left and which is on the right?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The tire on the left looks to have a more radical style while the one on the right seem to be a more conservative design. This all seems to be way too political. But seriously folks, I don't have a clue but I couldn't pass up a chance to be a smartass. If I had to guess I'd say the tire on the left still has the new tire nubbies on it so it is the newer tire. So the answer is yes, the Kenda is on the left.

Dan

P.S. I didn't vote.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm going with Trulights Kenda on the right, only because it appears to have some 'blacktop' scrub on it, and we all know Admiral is allergic to pavement!!

Bag

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
They do look VERY similar. The one on the left appears to have larger knobbys. Are these quieter on pavement than the oem front tire?

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
we all know Admiral is allergic to pavement!!

Bag

That there is funny. True, but funny.

I did haul the TW on the trailer to and from our starting point, so you ain't to far off Bag.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I need to get me one of those tires soon. My riding is 90 percent dirt I've washed out a bunch and dumped my bike. I thought I was just a terrible rider:)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI...

If you're in the market for a new front tire and do a combination of on/off road riding, my opinion is that you'd really like either of these tires (the Kenda K270 or the Shinko SR244 Golden Boy). The 5.10-18 in either tire fits very nicely on the TW rim. As you can see, the tread pattern is almost identical. The biggest difference is the price. Right now Motorcycle Superstore is selling the Kenda for $72.99 while the Shinko is $24.00 less at $48.99. I bought the Kenda, not because I think it's better, but because I wasn't able to find a Shinko in stock when I wanted one. I see MCSS has 'em back in stock. Perhaps time will prove the Kenda wears better, I don't know, but from the "testing" Admiral and I have done, I'd say save yourself a few bucks and get a Golden Boy.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Does the shinko feel "squishy" in corners like people report (and I experience) with the kenda?

Not sure if there is a way to get away from this behavior & still have awesome knobbies and otherwise good road manners

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
My 244 looks exactly like yours, but it has 3,000+ miles on it. 2,000 of those were continuous road miles on our honeymoon. Zero wear.

To be fair, my K270 miles have all been on 650 or larger dualsorts wich I rarely ride at less than 80 mph on pavement. Under those conditions they're good for about 20 miles
. I don't expect them to outlive the Golden Boy.

I've said it before, but with the light weight and limited speeds of the TW I suspect nearly all of the D.O.T. dualsport tires may last indefinitely on the front of a TW. Pick your poison and price.

I think I've also mentioned this before, but the only issue I have with the Golden Boy probably has more to do with local conditions than the tire itself. We're in a flash flood area, which tends to deposit sand on our roads, mostly near intersections. At street pressures transitioning from "clean" asphalt to "dusted" asphalt can be a bit more ummm.... interesting.. than with the stock tire. Mostly this occurs when you're on the brakes or cornering and sand presents itself. Any tire will do this, but I find it more pronounced with the rear tires on the front. I mounted a D606 on the front and this effect made the tire downright scary. I heart D606's, bigtime, and spent a bunchamunny on one, but I took it off within a day. Prolly works fine if you don't have road sand to contend with.

Around town I run the Golden Boy at 13 lbs. or so and the problem goes away. If we're going on a long trip involving asphalt I'll increase it to stock. Off road I run it it and my rear Bighorn at 5 psi and I've never been stuck or steering-less. Ever.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK... the correct identification on the tires. The vast majority here were correct, my Kenda 270 is the tire on the right of this photo while Admiral's Shinko SR244 Golden Boy is on the left. Both are great street/road combo tires and as I mentioned, you can probably save a third of the price by getting a Shinko right now. They are a bit harder to find though (which if you've followed the thread, is why I wound up with the Kenda). I'm loving it though --- W---A---Y better than my balding Cheng Shin. I've been running it at 18 psi which seems about right. I probably could go softer offroad, but then I'd have to air it up when we got to pavement and because our rides usually combine both, the 18psi seems a good compromise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts