TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As there's been some new posts about tire choices recently,I'm going to try a Kenda 760(presently,my front tire is a Shinko). I've not read any comments about what tire pressures are being used........Presently,
I'm using 3.5 psi for the rear,5 psi for the front;taking advantage of the firm side-walls to conform to the surfaces (mud,grass,stones,sandy creek beds,etc.). I like the low pressures,they have significantly improved the traction on both ends. Has anyone else found that the low pressure works well for their riding situation?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Going that low, I would be afraid of bending the rim's or unbeading the tires in the rocks. I haven't heard of anyone going that low on a regular basis.

Sweet looking bike bro!

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I normally run 8-10 in the back and 12-15 in the front. Stock rear and 5.10 Golden Boy on the front. That's my "weekend" tire pressure. Weekday is 20 rear and front. Definitely helps airing down for off road. Running pressures as low as you are, I'd be worried about denting a rim or pinching a tube on a rock.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
The only time I ran ~4psi in the stock rear tire was extricate myself from a snowy canyon I had no business dropping into. While the stock pressured tire spun and spun once I dumped most of the air out I could get enough traction and flotation to escape the snow. However the rear was extremely squirrely and I limited my speed to under 10 mph to avoid the potential tube and rim damage so well identified by others above. The sensation at 4psi was not much different in my opinion from having a totally flat tire.
Now with an ATV tire I feel comfortable with ultra-low pressures since the stiff tire carcass protects the rim and removes concerns about tube pinching. I doubt the tire would spin on the rim even in a vacuum:D

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Kenda 270 5:10 up front at 12psi, stock Bridgestone rear tire at 14psi has been working very well for me. Your running that low? Man, I wouldn't. Even though, yes, Kenda has a very firm sidewall. Your running the risk of loosing your seated bead, poor wear, and bending the rim on a good hit on hard terrain, pot hole, rock, exposed tree root, etc. I just wouldn't chance it that low. No way. On the rear, you could spin the tire on the rim, pulling and ripping the valve stem from tube causing a flat. You could do the same up front under heavy braking.

My next front tire is going to be a Kenda 760. Much better for the soft sand I ride in. Though, in sand, it doesn't really make any difference.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My Shinko all around sweet spot is 16 front 18 rear. After 1000 miles break-in.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
After break in, did you go with synthetic air or stay with the dino air?
The tire bead should be sufficiently seated so synthetic would work. It should be noted though that 'Ride On' does not recommend synthetic air because it is very slippery and may slip past the seal created during a flat.

Tom

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Honestly I hated the Shinko front tire when I first installed it. It was squirrely on the road and gravel. I was ready to take it off and throw it in the creek. IMO it has improved with miles where I actually like it now. I do like the Helium idea ;).

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Nitrogen would probably improve street bikes tires. I don't think they air up and down like we do.
[video]http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3894/4302788/[/video]

Edit
I guess I learned something today

[video]http://www.flodynamics.com/downloads/promo/pop/Nitrogen%20Pamphlet%20%28Motorcycle%29.pdf[/video]

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I've heard some people run with nitrogen. I wonder if helium would help with heavy loads.
Nitrogen doesn't increase pressure when it gets hot. That's why it's used in race cars, bikes, suspension, etc, where pressure control is critical. Won't do a damn thing in these bikes...LOL And no, helium won't work like that. I use to joke around in the pits at the track saying I'm using helium to lighten the load. That's my joke....:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
I first ran 10 front and rear off road and on road, liked it quite a bit for the slow stuff, the following weekend I decided to go a bit faster (30+mph through Nevada rocky terrain ;)) so I ran 15 front and rear. While I felt more comfortable smashing into rocks and stuff, the front tire when it comes to turning in the dirt felt extreme slip once off the main knobs; however, I am running the stock bridgestones, that may be a factor.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I ran 10 psi on OEM tires and HD tubes and the TW had amazing traction as long as it wasnt too muddy.
I had to OEM tire wash out twice in the mud. It's like a hog on ice. I'm making a tire swing for my Grand Daughters with it. I just need to get a piece of rope from Hoot. :p

Reactions: Fred and TWilight

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting comments and experiences,thanks all for your input(s). I felt that my pressures were quite low,but didn't know what was considered typical. I've not (yet) seen any evidence of rim damage or valve stem 'pulling' (This closed course trail is almost 5 miles per lap,with nine creek crossings,sand bars,etc.,-plenty of opportunities for rim damage.) Surprisingly, there is no suggestion of under-inflation so far as side wall collapse. I've checked my pressures with two different gauges ,so,unless they're both 'off',I believe my values are accurate......I'm going to continue checking rims/spokes/tubes as I keep these pressures this low.....excellent traction!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ride a lot in silty sandy conditions. When the ground is dry, the sand can be ankle deep. I operate my bike with 5psi in the front and rear tires to drive on top of the sand. I have stock tires and so far have not had a problem running 5psi in them. I do not hot rod the bike and I drive it like an old lady by never exceeding 10 mph with 5 psi in the tires.

A few years ago I had a front tire go flat from a cactus thorn puncture. The puncture was big enough for 20 psi to be lost in the tire in about 5 minutes. I never patched the tube and just put Ride-On in the tire to fix it. That stuff did the job perfectly. I have also been able to ride the bike with 5 psi in the tires without losing the Ride-On seal on a prior thorn puncture. I have done this several times. I carry a 12 volt air compressor with me to inflate the tires to 20 psi when I reach the pavement.

Hope this info is helpful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts