TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, brand new to the forum so excuse me if I'm in the wrong place or if I'm asking a questiion that has been asked and answered somewhere else. My question is this, i have a 2006 TW 200 recently purchased, with just over one thousand miles on it . tires look great but should they be replaced simply on account of age? thanks, jeff

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hello and welcome! Keep an eye on them, if they seem hard or tend to slide/skid on pavement I'd replace them, probably getting close.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Yes! Aged tires are bad. The rubber is dried out. It can crack and peel, and the tread doesn't grab the road as well.

It's not an immediate emergency type of thing, but you will be a lot safer on new tires.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes, change them, but do some reading here first if you haven't already. There is a huge tire thread on here somewhere. Most tires that will fit have been tried by somebody here. Maybe it'll help choose a set that suits your intended riding.

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello and welcome! Keep an eye on them, if they seem hard or tend to slide/skid on pavement I'd replace them, probably getting close.
I bought a used Ninja 250R - tires looked fine and were about 3½ years old by date code: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2006-06 Tires-Date Codes.pdf Fine in the dry, but first ride in the wet I almost lost it a couple of time during the first warm up lap and then crashed under moderate braking during the second - no doubt highly impressing Jason Pridmore (this was at Star Motorcycle School).

So I would be cautious in the wet, unless test braking shows they still have decent traction.

Ozone and UV degrade rubber, so the tires will go bad more rapidly on a bike that is parked outdoors a lot, or next to an ozone source such as a old refrigerator in a garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
I have the Shinko Goldenboy SR244 on my wife's TW and my son has it on his as well 5.10/18 Somewhere around $55 with free shipping

1 - 8 of 8 Posts