TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently I saw an interesting trend in the poll and thread that TrailWoman posted about working on your own bike. The trend was that most people here do and that is great. However, what came as somewhat of a surprise was the fact that a lot of folks said “yes, except for tires.”

Now let me be clear, what I am about to say is 100% exclusive of mounting an ATV tire on the rear wheel. You can search my debacle thread for reference and laughs. Hey, I did finally get it mounted and seated but it sucked. Badly.

Ok, changing front tires and stock rears on the TW have been some of the easiest tire changes that I have done on tubed motorbike tires. Motion Pro spoons and plenty of lube and they gone on very easily. In fact the Shinko 241 that we love so much, can almost go on without using the spoons. Calm down, I said almost. But it was very easy. Again, always plenty of lube.

Anyhow, recently I decided to give this little gizmo a try. Many of you may have one, used one, or heard of one. I am not sure how, but I had not.

If you are ever going to change a tubed motorcycle tires, invest $12 in this thing. It truly is amazing and easy to use. Fishing that valve stem through the rim hole with a new tire and big hands sucks. This makes it incredibly simple and quick. I highly recommend grabbing one of these. Wish I had one years ago!

If this can help even one member here, this post was worth it.

Item link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-Valve-Stem-Fishing-Tool-Puller-With-Valve-Core-Remover-for-Inner-Tube/143228728440

·
Registered
20,473 Posts
Gosh, I've always used a piece of fine wire or fishing line to accomplish the same thing. I simply remove the core, then run a piece of fine wire through the Shrader valve's top loop then reinsert into valve stem. Tag end of wire goes through hole in rim, a little pull, and the task is completed. Tweezers help thread the core in and out just a couple of threads. core.jpeg

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gosh, I've always used a piece of fine wire or fishing line to accomplish the same thing. I simply remove the core, then run a piece of fine wire through the Shrader valve's top loop then reinsert into valve stem. Tag end of wire goes through hole in rim, a little pull, and the task is completed. View attachment 193862
Yeah lol and I always smashed my fingers, knuckles and hands lol. But yes, essentially the same tool except for the end is valve stem remover as well, if you don't already have one. Like I said I don't know how I never used or came across this before. Especially after dozens of tires :/

·
Registered
20,473 Posts
I try to equip the valve stems on all my wheels with these combined cap & removal tools. Saves digging in the toolbox for the dedicated core removal tool. schrader valve cap 01.jpg

·
Registered
915 Posts
I try to equip the valve stems on all my wheels with these combined cap & removal tools. Saves digging in the toolbox for the dedicated core removal tool. View attachment 193864
I have these on almost every tire I own. From trailers to trucks. Look inside and they usually will have a red gasket. If the valve does leak, the cap can keep it inflated enough to keep from going completely flat.
51loX6OwBrL.jpg

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I love the metal caps with the valve remover but fair warning if you are up here in snow and salt country. I use nothing but plastic caps on my vehicle wheels because they don't fuse to the valve stem like the metal ones do after being left on in salty road conditions. All the newer vehicles come with those pesky TPMS gadgets these days and if the metal cap rusts or fuses it gets real expensive. I am getting to hate the new technology because I keep two sets of wheels and tires for each vehicle, Summer/Winter and every time I do the swap I have to get the TPMS things reprogrammed. I finally went and bought the tool so I can program them myself and avoid the tire shop and dealer to get it done.

GaryL

Reactions: Sthrnromr

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I try to equip the valve stems on all my wheels with these combined cap & removal tools. Saves digging in the toolbox for the dedicated core removal tool. View attachment 193864
Oh, yezz!

I discovered these in 1957 at age 14 on my first "moto"...a new Sears Allstate Puch 50cc moped. See avatar pic.
I had to deliver a butt-load of newspapers and mow a ton of yards to pay cash for that bad boy!

There's been a whole lot of bikes since then and they've all had 'em...

Reactions: Sthrnromr
1 - 10 of 10 Posts