TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing around with this O9 TW and Im not really pleased with how these stock tires handle on the gravel roads. I might lower my tire pressure a little bit and see how it rides then. What tire swap would you recommend for 100% gravel road driving?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I've got stock tires so can't offer alternatives, but I can assure you that changing air pressure (especially in the front tire) will make a big difference. Especially don't overinflate (i.e. don't go above 18 psi) for dirt riding, and you probably will be much more comfortable and surefooted at 15 or 13 depending on the rock size, amount of washboard, and speed. The one time someone aired my tires to a pressure above the recommended psi, I thought I was riding a 2 x 6. I check my tires every time I ride, because too soft is not fun either. Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Kenda Trackmaster K760 size 120/100-18 at 12 psi is by far the best gravel road tire I've ridden yet. This tire makes it possible to keep up with dedicated race bikes and european dualsports 3 times its displacement on hardpack and gravel when there are lots of curves and no berms. Note that pavement ride and handling is weird, especially at speed (>50 mph). The front end will feel like it's wandering all over the place in a straight line, but once you bank into a turn and that aggressive row of buttressed knobs on the side of the tread touches down, she's on rails. The weirdness improves with a few hundred miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts