TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Soo tried to be fancy and put one of these on the front. Looks fantastic. But the factory tire holds better. Wasn't riding stupid either. Nice gentle turn around a tree in first maybe 3mph? Face plant. First scuffs on new baby. Extremely awkward tire on pavement. At slow speed is real heavy feeling slow to turn, at highway speed it's as twitchy as a 2 inch tire. That was at factory tire pressure. Dropped to 12psi , back to the same tree, almost face plant, was real close, I think I sprained my butthole in the process 馃槄. Five miles, off it came. K270 going on. Might be a fantastic back tire like it was made for but as a front tire just NOPE. The vendor contacted MotoZ on my behalf to see if they'd be willing to try and help me with it. Nope on that too. Btw, never had a problem making that turn with the factory front at faster speeds. Not just putt putting around to get a feel for the tire.

Registered
Pictures please, interested in how the tire looks as well as the damage to the bike.

As a forum brother, here is a picture of my helmet after a front tire wash and face plant from last year on a freshly graded gravel road.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
No damage, It was walking speed and I slid under the bike on the way down to keep it from getting hurt...I never took a picture of the tire on the bike. Wasn't on long enough. There's a picture of the tread on my want ad for a rear wheel.

Registered
This tire?
Looks not much different than a Shinko 244 or the softer IRC GP-1 Trials.

Reactions: Ken and Willys714

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. I found a pic I didn't realize I had. The whole reason I picked this one was the trials designation and the tread depth was deeper then the other two brands. Figured it would be squirrelier on road but better in dirt. Nope. Sticks like wobbly glue on the road and like riding on marbles in the dirt. Complete waste of $120. It went on easier then any bike tire I ever mounted. The last bit I pushed on the rim by hand. Would definitely need bead locks if a rear tire.

Registered
This tire?
Looks not much different than a Shinko 244 or the softer IRC GP-1 Trials.
View attachment 209644
Fred, the knobs are 3 times longer. I love the extreme hybrid gummy on the back of the DT200. Hooks up in everything I have tried it in. The issue is it does not last. I just put the gummy mountain hybrid on the back of the DT and so far I am pleased with it.
The regular mountain hybrid has stiffer knobs and lasts longer, but it does not hook up as well as the gummy on wet roots and slick granite. It would work better on the front of the TW, but I have never tried as I think it would be heavy and the MT43 I have on the TW has never let me down.

Reactions: Willys714

Registered
Sounds like it behaved the way a flat tire does. Should have tried 30 psi. Maybe even 35 psi. Just a thought. It couldn't have hurt anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like it behaved the way a flat tire does. Should have tried 30 psi. Maybe even 35 psi. Just a thought. It couldn't have hurt anything.
I'll pass. I put the factory tire back on immediately.
It's a 110/100 r18 if anyone wants to make an offer on it. Didn't even wear the nubs off it. Maybe Five miles on it tops.

Registered
I'll pass. I put the factory tire back on immediately.
It's a 110/100 r18 if anyone wants to make an offer on it. Didn't even wear the nubs off it. Maybe Five miles on it tops.
I read you already put the stock one back on. I was just saying while it was on, if you so desired, to try a higher pressure and you could have reported if that helped. I for one would be curious if it did.

As a side note, the Heindau tire I have on one of my TW's was wearing funny. I went back to the dealer I bought it from and he laughed and told me to put more air in it. Problem solved. Now it has 30 psi.

What state are you in?

Registered
I had a dealer mount one front tire and he aired my stock tire to 30 lbs. I made it home but I couldn't figure out why the bike felt like it wanted to fall over. I put the tire at the correct pressure and the bike rode fine.

Registered
I'm in the Southwest, wanted something tough, aggressive and with maximum float to deal with the rocks, sand and thorns. I ride mostly off-road.

I'm running a Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T in 140/80-18 flavor. It lives @ 10psi with a standard tube, no weights & Ride-On. My TW34 @ 12psi, standard tube, no weights & Ride-On.

The Tractionator feels a lot like a Dunlop D606, the carcass is very stiff and I have run it as low as 8psi in very rocky terrain for hundreds of miles without issue before settling on 10psi for the feel.

Deflection might be a tad more than a softer side-walled tire but it's predictable. I just don't want to have tire issues in an environment that can kill you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts