Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks!

I've ALMOST got this TDUB working for my 4-11" wife, via:
- drilled lower shock mount
- lowered triple tree
- scooped out the seat

Would anyone have suggestions/experience on tires that lower the overall height? I'm currently using Michelin T63 (130/80-18), those are probably taller than stock actually...

Perhaps going even further- smaller rear/front rims? I've looked around the forums here, and seen some really neat projects involving trailer rims and such on the rear, but not much for the front other than re-lacing to a new rim (ouch, $$$).

Thanks for any advice and measurements! :D

(pic: early test run with sandles duct-taped to bottom of boots for added height- she digs it!)

16602314_10103045468888338_2265203550590230069_o.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I was tempted to bust your -$$ and say flat tires will yield the lowest seat height but it's for such a good cause I'll look and see what I can find to help.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I could plop a scooter tire, 160-60-14 on the rear, just for starters? If my calculations are correct, that would drop it a long ways:

160mm (width) * .6 (ratio) = 96mm tall, *2 (top and bottom) + 14 inches (rim) = 550mm-ish
vs stock:
180mm (width) * .8 (ratio) = 144mm tall, *2 (top and bottom) + 14 inches (rim) = 645mm-ish

So the 160/60/14 would be nearly 10cm (4 inches) shorter?

Probably a hundred different holes in my logic there :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, yahodahan, Mrs Trip's s secret weapon is her Daytona Ladystar boots. 2.5cm lift, plus, they are very nice boots. We ordered them from Germany...much better price than in the US. (They rebate the VAT for US buyers)

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_US/?ObjectID=4421325&ViewAction=ViewProduct
Thanks much! The tough part is finding boots that also give a lift at the ball of the foot...I don't suppose you'd mind measuring that? :D

Also, we recently tried some serious moto-x boots, they gave her a 1" lift front and back, but were just too bulky.

Finally, boot sizing...oi...she has size 5 feet, not easy to find for moto boots!!

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Think that through one more time.. (the tire math).. /?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Thanks much! The tough part is finding boots that also give a lift at the ball of the foot...I don't suppose you'd mind measuring that? :D

Also, we recently tried some serious moto-x boots, they gave her a 1" lift front and back, but were just too bulky.

Finally, boot sizing...oi...she has size 5 feet, not easy to find for moto boots!!
They are in European sizes so you'll have to check but I think that's the same size as Mrs Trip. They are lifted at the front of the foot, too. They have armour protection for the ankles and shin, but they are more touring oriented than a real moto-cross boot. She really likes them.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
She looks like a pro enduro rider! Nice setup, the whole deal...!

They are in European sizes so you'll have to check but I think that's the same size as Mrs Trip. They are lifted at the front of the foot, too. They have armour protection for the ankles and shin, but they are more touring oriented than a real moto-cross boot. She really likes them.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
That photo is great inspiration!! :D

Looks like size 35 is out of stock right now...digging around on other sites.
Try this link: https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_IE/?Locale=en_US&ViewObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Daytona-Lady-Star-GORE-TEX&ChangeAction=SaveLocale&ChangeObjectID=271146733

On the US$ site it shows them as in stock. Worth emailing FCMoto to see. I have ordered from them several times and had no problems at all. Arrived fast via DHL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Rhodetrip - showed her the boots, she approves! Says "I'm NOT riding through rivers though!"
...in due time ;)

Found a "last one available" on Ebay, size 35, ordered...now we just wait till they ship in from Germany.

So, that's a good start- and it did involve rubber, ha. Thanks again!

Back to looking at tire sizes here :)

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I was just just referring to dividing the total tire height (after the aspect ratio calcułation) by two to get the distance from the ground to the axle to determine the effect on seat height.

Can't find my error, but I can see via this:
http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/3635-front-tire-choices.html

...that going from a 130 to a 100 front would potentially drop an inch...that seems really, really narrow though. Maybe I can find a 110 with smaller lugs? The Michelin T63 I'm using is pretty tall, didn't that one over when I chose it...

Reactions: yahodahan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was just just referring to dividing the total tire height (after the aspect ratio calcułation) by two to get the distance from the ground to the axle to determine the effect on seat height.
Ahh of course, haha, I knew I was missing something obvious! Thanks! (had to draw out a wee diagram as well...)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I actually thought your idea of duct taping sandals to the bottom kind of has merit. Instead find some boots that work and take them to a cobbler if you can find one. Have them sew on additional thicker soles. You be surprised what a good shoe guy can do. My grandfather was a german cobbler he used to make custom shoes for clients. Rodetrips your man he's working with the same parameters. Looks like you got it covered.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try this link: https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_IE/?Locale=en_US&ViewObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Daytona-Lady-Star-GORE-TEX&ChangeAction=SaveLocale&ChangeObjectID=271146733

On the US$ site it shows them as in stock. Worth emailing FCMoto to see. I have ordered from them several times and had no problems at all. Arrived fast via DHL.
Ah, blast, I should have waited on the Ebay purchase...I'll email FCmoto just in case. Would much rather go through them, if I can still swap things around...

About that link, I just see a blue box with "This function is not activated for your user group." odd?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
@Rhodetrip - showed her the boots, she approves! Says "I'm NOT riding through rivers though!"
...in due time ;)
Ha, ha. Tell her the boots are Gore-Tex!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts