TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Seen a ton of older posts regarding tires. I just bought a TW200 and it has supermoto tires on it. 95% of the riding my wife is going to do will be dirt. Hardpack dirt & sand. What would be the best tire choice for front and back?

From what I've gathered on here for the rear it looks like 80/80-14 Bridgestone TW34 Rear.

For the front I've seen alot saying the Pirelli MT21 is a great front tire. But what size? 120x90x18?

Again I've seen tons of older posts, just not sure how things have changed in this department if they have at all. Street riding will be very very minimal. Maybe 5miles to get to a trail but thats it and then 90 miles on said trail.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I'm running a Shinko 244 5.10-18 on the front and love it off road. The stock rear tire is about as good as it gets for off road unless you want to wedge an ATV tire on the rim.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have only owned and ridden one motorcycle. I have experienced two front tires and all I can say is that my Shinko 244 in 5.10 is by far superior to the stock trailwing. Would like to try the Shinko 241 that the panda mentions. Twilight? Do you feel like the 241 is softer and would get chewed up on my blacktop riding? Do you like the feel offroad? Plenty of traction?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ha ha. I do get a bit of wobble on pavement at times. Am looking forward to the Shinko 241 next time. I should just get a new 2016 to go with that new tire shouldn't I?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have the Pirelli MT21 and love it so far. I ride in MI, so its either beach sand or mud for me. The Pirelli probably is not quite as good as either Shinko on the road or rocks. I know it has made off road riding much more enjoyable and safer! I also had a long run of success with these tires on my last dual sport, so I went with what I had first hand experience with.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have had no issues with the Pirelli MT41 and it is wearing well. I have had it up to 60mph with no wobble.
If you are going to be riding a lot of sand, an ATV tire on the rear is the way to go - I am loving the Duro.
While others were struggling with the sand in Moab, my Duro was eating it up.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Good all round tire choices watkins considering the nature of the soil types mentioned. Some could argue there is a better tire for the front for sand riding but I imagine you will be rather pleased with the 241. My similar soft compound trials tire has over 5,000 miles of mixed terrain riding and has held up well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good all round tire choices watkins considering the nature of the soil types mentioned. Some could argue there is a better tire for the front for sand riding but I imagine you will be rather pleased with the 241. My similar soft compound trials tire has over 5,000 miles of mixed terrain riding and has held up well.
What tire are you using if not the 241?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Fred, are you running the IRC trials on the front?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts