TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2004 TW200
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you guys buying your tires lately? I see Rocky Mountain where I usually buy my tires does not have much other than the Bridgestone TW which is the OEM tires.
I really like Bridgestone tires on my other bikes but wanted to try some of the others you people have been suggesting.

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Sorry no replies, thus far, but I didn't keep my TW long enough to need tires. Expect you'll have some replies come Monday.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I got a stock Bridgestone rear and a Shinko 244 for the front from Revzilla recently. Not the cheapest but I was just glad to find someone with them in stock after Chaparral took my money and kept me waiting. I paid with PayPal though and so it wasn't too hard to get my money back.

One upside to Revzilla and some others is that Cycle Gear will mount tires purchased from them for half price here if you have an order number for the tires. I could've put them on but I don't have a good stand to balance with so that was kinda nice.

I've got a trailer wheel project nearly ready with an ATV tire. I got that from Rocky Mtn ATV/MC. They're good to deal with for that sort of thing it seems.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have received very good customer service from Cycle Gear
They have a decent price for XT250 tires

Front tire 2.75-21 (3.00-21)Bridgestone TW-301G or Dunlop D605$ 50.33
Rear tire 120/80-18 (4.60-18)Bridgestone TW-302F or Dunlop D605$ 67.41

However, the one time I had Cycle Gear mount a tire it was disappointing.
I had a spare in my garage for the rear of my 2012 Bonneville in 2013 and I was preparing for a 700 mile round trip across the desert.
The Cycle Gear tech ignored the color dots, but it seemed OK to Los Angeles, probably not over 80 MPH.
On the way back, on an empty stretch, I opened it up.
At 108 MPH it felt like a pogo stick...very poor balancing.
Hopefully just a one-off incident.

Local Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Can-Am dealer mounts for free, but tires are full retail.
Flawless mounting on my 2014 CB1100 and 2022 Triumph Street Twin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Where are you guys buying your tires lately? I see Rocky Mountain where I usually buy my tires does not have much other than the Bridgestone TW which is the OEM tires.
I really like Bridgestone tires on my other bikes but wanted to try some of the others you people have been suggesting.
New Shinko 428's all round. They stick to the ground like super glue. I live in Oz so I figure you wont be buying from here:)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

·
Registered
2004 TW200
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have received very good customer service from Cycle Gear
They have a decent price for XT250 tires

Front tire 2.75-21 (3.00-21)Bridgestone TW-301G or Dunlop D605$ 50.33
Rear tire 120/80-18 (4.60-18)Bridgestone TW-302F or Dunlop D605$ 67.41

However, the one time I had Cycle Gear mount a tire it was disappointing.
I had a spare in my garage for the rear of my 2012 Bonneville in 2013 and I was preparing for a 700 mile round trip across the desert.
The Cycle Gear tech ignored the color dots, but it seemed OK to Los Angeles, probably not over 80 MPH.
On the way back, on an empty stretch, I opened it up.
At 108 MPH it felt like a pogo stick...very poor balancing.
Hopefully just a one-off incident.

Local Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Can-Am dealer mounts for free, but tires are full retail.
Flawless mounting on my 2014 CB1100 and 2022 Triumph Street Twin.
I use to buy tires from CG when I lived in AZ as they had a sales rack and sometimes they would have some really good discounts. I burned through a lot of miles and tires back then. We do not have a CG here. I have never had any ever mount my tires, I am a 100% do-it-myself guy.
I will check CG prices online and see if they have something I'm looking for.
I have not used Chapperal in many years - I'll check them out too - forgot about them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2004 TW200
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New Shinko 428's all round. They stick to the ground like super glue. I live in Oz so I figure you wont be buying from here:)

View attachment 226352
Never seen that style on a TW - might have to think about that a little.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I use to buy tires from CG when I lived in AZ as they had a sales rack and sometimes they would have some really good discounts. I burned through a lot of miles and tires back then. We do not have a CG here. I have never had any ever mount my tires, I am a 100% do-it-myself guy.
I will check CG prices online and see if they have something I'm looking for.
I have not used Chapperal in many years - I'll check them out too - forgot about them.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Though there are two stores in Las Vegas Valley, I ordered on-line with free delivery.
I removed the rear wheel/tire on the 2012 Bonneville and took it to Cycle Gear, because I did not have alloy wheel protectors for my spoons at the time.

Zipper did not hold-up on a Bilt Evolution jacket, but it was under warranty for a year (great customer service).
I like my Bilt Route helmet more than my HJC is33.
The HJC has better ventilation vents, but the Bilt has a more robust integrated sun shield.

Helmet Sports equipment Automotive design Automotive lighting Sports gear

Helmet Sports gear Automotive design Sports equipment Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
2004 TW200
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They don't make it easy to search for the TW tires on any of the sites I spent non-retrievable time on.... Geez.
Seems "scooter" tires are where the few tires available for the TW are at. Scooters - really - It's not a scooter.
Dennis Kirk is another place I used in the past - their search for tires is a PITA.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Search by size or by bike model? I did not find TW listed in their model search and selection by tire size is very limited: Maybe a good source for your Triumph?

Replaced stock Dunlops on CB1100 at 10,579 miles with Pirelli Scrambler tires.

List $221.95 Dennis Kirk $141.88

https://www.denniskirk.com/pirelli/mt-60...43931.prdf

List $228.95 Dennis Kirk $128.88

https://www.denniskirk.com/pirelli/mt90-...uId=540501

Front came from Dennis Kirk, rear from local Honda dealer (dealer could not get front in reasonable timel

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I liked the Pirellis, but would not buy again as I since learned that Metzler and Pirelli are now Chinese companies.

Metzler was acquired by Pirelli and now Pirelli is controlled by China:

In 2015, China National Chemical Corp. Ltd. (ChemChina) took controlling interest of Pirelli - with the Chinese state-owned company agreeing to maintain the tire company's ownership structure until 2023

• Wow
Reactions: BradC and Snow Fox

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yep, "scooter tires"

• Haha

·
Registered
2004 TW200
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plug for Motosport.com - I use to buy quite a bit of bike parts from them but had not ever looked at the tires they offer. They have a really good selection and an easy-to-use search. Almost too many to choose from.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
The Shinko 428 set did me well for over 6000 miles before I decided to go back to knobbies. Still a few hundred left in the rear at least. I probably ran it a little under-inflated. They seem to stick great on pavement and did pretty good elsewhere until it got slick.
I am trying the Shinko's now. The rear was no problem at all but as soon as I put the front Shinko tire on it had a little hop like it wasn't balanced. I balanced it perfect, it was seated on the rim good with a new tube. That is the first Shinko tire I have had issues with. I either got used to it or it wore down and smoothed out now. The Bridgestones, I never had any issues with. If you ride mostly street and some dirt these tires are great. The knobbies would wear out really quick. The Shinko or Bridgestone in the more streetable pattern last a lot longer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts