TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn, I just purchased a used 2018 TW200. was a 12 drive round trip to purchase. Motorcycle was originally purchased but guy traded back in after only 90 miles. So, the next owner purchased from dealerships couple years ago, but never transferred title to himself. I met him after long drive. inspected, rode the TW, looked at VIN , exchanged bill of sale, Thought Cool ! I own a TW !!

Today, I went to my local AZ DMV to title it. I did not notice but of course they immediately saw, the guy I purchased from signed the back of a title that does not have his name on the front, its still the dealership he purchased from...he just made a mistake, but WOW, it is devastating to me. AZ cant process it. Guy I purchased from is way up in Colorado, he said his DMV requires a physical bring it in VIN inspection. Now I'm faced with a 12 hour round trip drive for him to get it inspected,, transfer title and then wait a month in mail, get it, sign off on it, and send it back to me in AZ? THIS SUCKS!

Does anybody have any advice on the subject ???
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

· Premium Member
1,851 Posts
You could do a list title process, AZ requires a level 1 vehicle inspection for out of state lost title vehicles (not sure if the vehicle has to be I your name)... I would look into that, or ask them if you can do a bonded title for an out of state vehicle. Just make sure you have the bill of sale.

Or ask them if they'll transfer an out of state registration from Vermont that doesn't title small engine motorcycles... if they say yea just go through the Vermont title process... although that'll be 1-1.5 months vs a 12hr road trip.

I've had to do a lost title process for 2 out of state title motorcycles here in Washington, not my idea of fun, my heart goes out to you.

· Premium Member
1,851 Posts
a bonded title is like insurance for the title issuer, so you buy a bond from a bond company, it's a percent value of the bike so in the event it ends up being stolen, you forfeit the money paid for the bonded title and the bike goes back to its owner.

· Registered
2021 TW; 2016 Honda NC700X
946 Posts
Can you get the dealer to re-assign the MSO to you? That might be cheaper.

If not, can you get a mail drop in Montana? Bonded titles are easy out here. Although, with the bonded status carrying three years, it might not be so easily transferrable to other states until the bonded status expires.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, 3 hours later, three trips to DMV, one trip to insurance company, post office and now I am well on my well to obtaining a bonded title. What a pain in the rear! have to wait to hear back from TX Dept of motor vehicle title search but maybe in a few months I will get a AZ Title for it...in the meantime my local DMV was nice to give me a 90 moving permit to ride it around at least so that's good.

· Registered
2,334 Posts
No... Wait!!!

I have the perfect solution. Register on a forum where caring people ride whatever kinda motorcycle that is and if you ask nicely there will be plenty of great information and options.

I know it will work because I belong to a forum that is populated by people who are log house nuts and we all help each other do the seemingly impossible. I must be their honorary leader because they named me THE loghousenut.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,036 Posts
I have dealt with title issues by mail before. It worked for me. I bought a bike from a guy who got it from his friends brother-n-law. The back of the title was signed but you have to have some other paper or the signed title is basically useless in TX. I explained the situation in a letter, who I got the bike from, condition of the bike, etc. I sent a self addressed stamped envelope in the letter along with the paper I needed filled out. The guy signed and filled out everything. I took everything to the DMV and got my title. It didn't take that long. When I got the bike up and going I took a couple of pics and mailed them too him. Maybe old school but I'm sure he appreciated it. I did have to research to find his name and address etc, taking a chance at that. Now you actually have to pay for resources to do that research. I also did a similar tactic on a boat I bought. The guy was pretty local so I actually took a chance and drove to his house. We talked a while and had a good time meetng. He signed the title, we filled out the paperwork and he just said enjoy the boat it was great when he had it. Yes, the internet was what I did research for and all but in the mail I was able to send documents once I confirmed the correct person.

· Registered
1987 and 2009 TW200's
269 Posts
This may be a crazy idea (I specialize in those), but I wonder if the dealer could/would provide a notarized authorization of some kind affording the previous purchaser the right to sign the title on their behalf for this one specific transaction?

· Registered
4,320 Posts
Arizona is impossible if the title has a buyers name written in or even if you accidentally sign the wrong side of the mileage statement even if the title is in your name (ask me how I know)

Washington if you have a buyers name written in you just write up a bill of sale mainly for sales tax purposes ( yes WA has a 10.3% sales tax in the blue counties)

new MSO are nearly impossible unless it’s less than 30 days and it must go to orig buyers name

wish I had better news but AZ is tough

i have never tried Vermont but it seems do-able

bonded title was a hassle and pricey but Vermont has fees too so perhaps bonded is ok

might try to contact the name on the title and ask them if you can pay them to get a duplicate title in AZ a duplicate title is $4 and can be done online / I just got a duplicate title for my AZ trailer online and it was in my P.O. Box 48 hours later

if it’s a title in the dealers name the dealer can get you a new title but if it’s an MSO they can’t get another for a 2018

1 - 10 of 10 Posts