TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my second post, i joined about a month ago. i want a TW so ive been calling around and looking on craigs list. the big problem is titles, i live in Mass so i have to have one. was going to drive 6 hours to get a 2010 w/40 miles for $3000 but no title. he cant get it until he has my money to pay it off. looked at a 1998 for $1700 w/174 miles, problem is u guessed it title is bad. its in the current owners name but he cant get the banks name off of it. i could go on and on but u get the point. is it just me or is this common everywhere? i may have to fork over $3800. OTD for a new 2010. i wont give up! will post a pick of what i get when i get it. Keith

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Banks hold titles when the seller owes money on the vehicle. The seller needs to figure out the amount owed, you go to the bank together, you pay him for the bike, he hands the pay-off amount to the loan officer of the bank, the loan officer marks the title satisfied, the seller signs and dates the title and hands it to you, you go your merry way. It's been that way in every state in which I've bought a vehicle with a lien on it. I'm sure the loan officer knows what needs to be done--the two of you go to the bank and ask procedures. It isn't rocket science.

That said, there are two very common excuses for the seller not wanting to go to the bank. Either the bike is stolen or the seller owes more on the loan than he can get selling the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It's common on craigslist in my corner of the U.S.

Sellers will make it sound like it's no big deal not having a title but in here in Washington it is. Unless the bike is old and not in the DOL computer system or from another State. Then you can pay 100+ just to get the State Patrol to inspect the VIN then wait three years for a title! You become a registered owner while you wait.

I've gone that route twice on a couple of atv's.

If the auto, bike or trailer IS in the system and you don't know where the legal owner lives then you are up poo creek.

There is always that <international title service> that MAY be able to get you ownership for a price $$

How hard it it to keep a title in a safe place?

In your case sometimes the bank paperwork can take a while (unless it's a small local bank) the owner pays it off then has to wait a spell until everything gets processed before you see the good paperwork.

·
Registered
10 Posts
this is too funny...I'm pretty sure I just bought the bike you were going to drive 6 hrs to get! I just joined this forum after picking up a 09 Tdub with 40 miles from Craigs List and have to wait for the title! lol Anyway here in Maine a bill of sale and a previous reg. can get you a plate! Im willing to wait for the title because I trust this guy, he lives 30 mins from my house and has worked at the same place for 20 years, he'd be pretty stupid to try anything...but he signed over the last reg. to me and will send the title when it comes to him, I dont blame you for not wanting to get involved with this deal living so far away and all ,but it sure worked out well for me! Good luck finding one in your area

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Vehicles with liens are sold privately every day. How hard is it for the seller to make a call or two to find out how things are done? I'd run like hell from any bike without a title. I certainly would not allow a buyer to take physical possession of a bike registered to me. the liability issues are too severe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Whiplash, im glad it worked out for you, what scared me was the distance. good luck with the bike and i hope you get the title in a timely manner. Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts