TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are headed west next week, we are considering highway #2 across Montana. Does anyone here know much about it ??????????? We plan on seeing glacier nat. park and go out to check on those big-ole trees .AKA the mighty red woods...From there it's down highway 1 and turn back toward the badlands. OMM.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
In 2004 I rode Rt 2 from Spokane Washington to the Makinaw Bridge. Was my first time thru Glacier. It's lonely in places and a lot of it is on reservation. You didn't mention what you're traveling on/in but I was running on fumes a few times and I had a range of about 250 miles on my 99RT.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are trailering the two dubs behind my F-150......... Then we will hold up a few days at a time to ride the local area... That's what we did last year to the grand canyon and it was a blast. I was just wondering how much of a challenge the road will be to navigate ????????????? OMM.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
My wife and I are headed west next week, we are considering highway #2 across Montana. Does anyone here know much about it ??????????? We plan on seeing glacier nat. park and go out to check on those big-ole trees .AKA the mighty red woods...From there it's down highway 1 and turn back toward the badlands. OMM.
Highway 2? Havre to Kalispell? You will LOVE it! Definitely faster than the Going to the Sun, but you can always double back and do that while visiting Glacier from either end on the bikes. Plenty of camp spots, too. It's the major East-West route in Northern Montana so may have lots of trucks but your rig certainly wouldn't be a problem. For my two cents, the Eastern side of Glacier is the most scenic.

And, maybe, this super wet weather we've been having will clear out just for you!!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Northern Montana (hwy 2) is good pavement... Much east of Glacier recently redone in the last few years.
(our kids live in MT) so when we go to and from(WI), we take different routes. I would not use Hwy 2 in NW
North Dakota esp. around Williston because of all the oil activity. I recommend going north or south in that
NW corner of the state. All said, there is a little visitor center west of Williston at the confluence of the
Yellowstone and Missouri rivers that IMHOP, is worth a stop. So too, the Fort Peck dam in NE MT.
Safe travels!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You mention coming down highway 1, if you get near San Luis Obispo, let me know if you would like to meet up.
Mel

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We weren't going quite that far south .:( Just heading to the red woods.. Then we are headed back across to the bad lands.We didn't want any part of frisco or La. The crater lake side trip is now on.. If we see another dub running about we will stop and check it out. OMM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unless the rules have changed, you can't trailer anything through Glacier Park. A friend and I were turned back a few years ago with a van and bike trailer.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ya we know..... Nothing longer than 21'. Our truck alone is 20'. We plan on going on highway 2 to a campground near the divide then go from there.. We will ride the dubs on certain sections, but are too chicken to ride the "SUN" road.:nevreness::undecided::unsure: Now we hear there's bears to worry about. Hmmmmmmmmm. I'm gettin' to old for this.:rolleyes: OMM.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is sooooooooooooooooooo good to hear... Our dubs ran good at 8,000 feet before, They should be OK at that elevation. Did I read it right, are the lanes 11' wide or is the entire road 11' wide ???????????? OMM.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
I've never been to this park and I'm relativily close, so do a good scouting report.:p

Depending on your route, if you come near Caldwell, ID, give me a shout via email and I can give you my phone number.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Jeez, this thread got me to thinking it's been WAY too long since we were up in Glacier NP, probably 30 years! So, we just made some reservations for September 11-15. Sure hope the weather co-operates!!!
This will be a car/motel trip, though. We've already done a lot of camping this summer.:D

Max, quit worrying about bears and narrow roads! You are going to be in a truck or riding a TW, not hiking! I'd be a lot more worried about deer, and I hear they have those in Michigan too.;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Found it down near Nampa... Rocky, we "SURE" do have many,many mannnnnny deer in Mich..
Admiral, It would seem that your state has many interesting places to ride judging from the map I'm looking at.. no wonder you have such nice vids..OMM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Found it down near Nampa... Rocky, we "SURE" do have many,many mannnnnny dear in Mich..
Admiral, It would seem that your state has many interesting places to ride judging from the map I'm looking at.. no wonder you have such nice vids..OMM.
Glacier is amazing on the TW200. Be sure to stop to have a beer at the McDonald lodge at the bottom of the sun road. Be cautious if you fuel up in Browning, leave nothing unattended. The reservation is rough. We live down in Great Falls and do the Glacier trip all the time. Another beautiful ride a couple of hours south is the Lewis and Clark National Forest. Hundreds of miles of one and two track trails of you are into the off road national park experience. If you are interested in offroading stop by a ranger station/visitor center and ask for a Motorized travel map. The Montana Trail Vehicle riders association and National Off highway vehicle council have put together an amazing bunch of offroad maps. Montana has an awesome trail system.

Cheers and happy riding. We're doing the Bear Tooth mountains this weekend.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts