TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some rattle can painting of a used fender for the 1600. My question is, should I wet sand before applying the top clearcoat? I know, rattle can paint jobs are for the "woodchuck" types, but I'm trying to do a decent job with no special equipment. Maybe my expectations are a little high. Maybe I'm the "woodchuck" type.:D

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
My so Mike who paint quit a bit gave me this answer

I dont think the paint should cure before spraying your clearcoat. So you cant sand it. If the paint cures then I guess you would have to scuff it to get the clear to stick to it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
>= 1200 grit wet sand.
clean with paint thinner, let dry.
Then clear coat. Multi coats while clear coat is tacky.
Think i only did about 3 coats.
Real smooth finish on it.

Did my DR fenders like that, came out shinny like new.
Clear coat has sorta faded over the 4 years since i have done that.

I used the Kyrlon Clear Plastic Coat rattle can.

One more thing : Clean the fender with paint thinner first to remove grease.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My so Mike who paint quit a bit gave me this answer

I dont think the paint should cure before spraying your clearcoat. So you cant sand it. If the paint cures then I guess you would have to scuff it to get the clear to stick to it.
2 color paint job, so I had to let the 1st color dry before masking for the 2nd color. It sounds like I should do some fine wet sanding before the clear. I'll post a pic when I get done...if it looks good.:D

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Personally I wouldn't worry about sanding between paint and clear. At any other stage especially before first prime I would but as long as it's adhesive residue/dust/grease free I'd just clear coat it. I found plastic hub cap paint to be very durable. The only thing that damaged it was grinding on a rock or bending it too far.

If you do decide to give it a light sand make sure it dries to a full cure first.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We never color sanded in the body shops I worked in for 20 years. Wet sand the clear and buff to make it smooth. Problem with color sanding is messing up the base color. Any problems with the color only gets magnified once the clear is applied. Then it's a repaint. So I my experience don't sand.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here it is. Turned out pretty good I think. I used 800 grit wet/dry sand paper and removed the shine before applying clear. I also sanded lightly between coats of paint. Made a stand for the fender and set it on a stool to get it about eye level. Wood shops make lousy paint booths but it was too cold out in the garage. All wood working projects were suspended until fender was completed.

DSCN8675.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts