TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the question. I'm torn! Not sure what to do!! :(

Haven't been on here too much last few months (just joined back in June '18 I think). Any who.......I'd posted while back I was considering the TAT this summer, and still am! But, on a new (well, used....) bike. An '05 DR650. She's a beaut! Already set up really nice! LOVE IT!! My purchase of it was A LOT like when I bought my TW end of June last year.....some of you may remember my thread. I'm from Jax, FL..... went to buy in NC, didn't pan out, didn't feel like going home empty (after having rented enlcosed U-haul trailer behind my torque monsta ride (Prius ;) ), then found and went to Indiana and purchased the TW, then back to Jax. Ya'll remember? :D

Well, still in Jax, FL, I found & picked up the DR just down the road in Okiehoma (here we go again....ROAD TRIP)! Luckily my Mom's in LA (Lower Alabama), so had a nice stop/break coming & going out. This time I rented the open U-haul trailer. :) I'm jibber-jabbering......on to my point.

Well, the TAT trip is about just over 2 1/2 months away. I'd planned on the TW, but the time it takes to do the trip, then getting back home, we'd decided we'll be putting in some high mile days early on (it is just the Southeast, so not as scenic), and some at a spirited pace, some of that being tarmac. We all know the TW's shortcomings......buzziness at speed, suspension, and seat. I'd planned on suspension upgrades anyhow, among other mods, but being where I am I have to ride an hour or so (I know...that's not that bad), just to get the trails, and I'd be wore out by time I got there (again the buzziness mostly). That's when I decided I needed something better equipped for the TAT (DR650). If I was able to do the trip more leisurely (like if I were retired) I'd do it on the TW in a heartbeat! Again, I'm jibber-jabbin'. Well, registered the DR and transferred the tag from.......... the TW. :( I really don't need 3 bikes (3rd is my track/race bike), and feel it'd be best to sell the TW since I know it won't get the ride time. This is where I'm torn. LOVE that 'lil tractor! I definitely plan on keeping the DR.

What's a man to do!?!?!?!? :confused:

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I think you have already answered your own question! Really not the best bike for the TAT....if you want to keep up and not have to stop for gas every 100 miles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps my post was confusing. The DR is going on the TAT trip. Talking about selling the TW outright since it likely won't get much ride time in future, and I really don't need 2 DS bikes. But, I love the TW. Haven't been able to bring myself to sell it, but feel I should. I don't know man....

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I'm keeping mine. Sometimes it's nice to just relax and Cruze around. It's fun and an old friend, can't let her go.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
you can always get another one later....

how dialed in is yours? stock? i've ridden about a dozen other tdubs, and none feel like my own bike does, they all have their peculiarities. i guess i could relearn what mine feels like, but i sure like mine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My TW hasn't got the ride time that I wished for in the last year or two either. I commute with the NC700X because it gets better mpg than the TW and DR at the speeds I ride to work. Heck, the TW couldn't even get close to those speeds anyway.

No way in hell I'd sell my TW! It doesn't cost that much to keep around anyway. If I could do the TAT this year, I'd take the DR. Give me a few more when I retire. The TW would be my choice. The older I get, the more I like the TW and less I like the heavier bikes for trails.
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you can always get another one later....

how dialed in is yours? stock? i've ridden about a dozen other tdubs, and none feel like my own bike does, they all have their peculiarities. i guess i could relearn what mine feels like, but i sure like mine.
The TW is stock other than an X-ring chain, and a gel seat pad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you decide to sell it I may be interested - you can pm me if you do. You are a only about 6 hour road trip from me. Closer than some places in the western part of my own state.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, decided to keep the TW. Went and got it tagged (again) yesterday, and put around 140 miles on it eclipsing the 4k mark. Good times! So good in fact, apparently when I left the DMV to head back home I unknowingly put the petcock to Reserve, and ran it slap outta gas! DOH!! Luckily I was only 1/4 mile from gas station, and the TW is piece of cake to push. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts