TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posting things us geezers may remember. I was a freshman in HS..

May 18'th 1980:

Mount St. Helens in Washington erupts, causing a massive avalanche and killing 57 people on this day in 1980. Ash from the volcanic eruption fell as far away as Minnesota.

Seismic activity at Mount St. Helens, which is 96 miles south of Seattle, began on March 16. A 4.2-magnitude tremor was recorded four days later and then, on March 23-24, there were 174 different recorded tremors. The first eruption occurred on March 27, when a 250-foot wide vent opened up on top of the mountain. Ash was blasted 10,000 feet in the air, some of which came down nearly 300 miles away in Spokane. The ash caused static electricity and lightning bolts.

Authorities issued a hazard watch for a 50-mile radius around the mountain. The National Guard set up road blocks to prevent access to the area, but these were easily avoided by using the region’s unguarded logging roads. Many residents of the area evacuated, but a substantial number refused. Harry Truman, 84–no relation to the former president–was one resident who refused to move and, after receiving a great deal of positive media coverage for his decision, became a national icon as well as, later, the subject of a local memorial.

volcano.jpg 2000px-1980_Mount_st_helens_ash_distribution.svg.png

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
I was working in Tacoma on that day. Even from there looking up in the sky you could see the ash plume. Later that day we learning about the people who died. I remember lots of interviews show on TV with Harry leading up to the eruption. Ten years later in 1990, I went to the mountain. I couldn't believe how devastated the place still looked. It's pretty overwhelming to see all the trees laying pointing outward according to the terrain. And so far out to boot.

Couple months later we were traveling east on I-90. We stopped at a rest area near Ellensburg and the ash was piled up like snow in the winter. I retrieved some ash as a souvenir but somewhere along my life I lost it. I had some pictures of the ash and ash plume but those pictures are long gone as well.

Thanks for the memory reminder of that day.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
I was working in California for Pepsi Cola and I remember truck after truck after truck coming in with bottles half filled with ash. That stuff was like concrete. I can only imagine what it was like up here then...

Now Jersey; you've created a bit of a problem here...

Because now we want to know what happened in History tomorrow; and the day after that; and the day after that...and so on...

So bro... I guess you better do some research now. We'll be waiting for tomorrow!!! :D

When I saw your thread title; I thought that was a great idea. I would have jumped all over this for a daily bit of news...so have fun bro...ha ha you just created a new daily post!!! And we'll all just waiting to see what you dig up tomorrow!! :p ;) :D

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I was in grade 12 and we woke to ash all over everything in Naramata BC the next morning.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
I was almost 3 years old... apparently I don't really remember it. I don't even know if it got to the dry side???
You're still just a whippersnapper!! :p :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Having relation in Washington, we were watching Brokaw's reports on the evening news with rapt interest. It was like watching one of today's reality drama series except it WAS reality! I recall the seismologists reporting on the daily visual swelling and widening fissure on the mountain....everybody knew it was going to blow. I also recall thinking Harry Truman was an idiot......stubbornness is one thing, but he must have had a death wish! :(

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I was in the process of out processing from the USAF. I had been able to extend my service obligation by six months due to my first son being born. I had a job waiting with a word processing company NBI inc. I worked for them for 13 years. I moved from Biloxi MS to Martinsburg WV and lived with my in-laws until December. It was a grand six months vacation, my father in-law Ace and I fished all summer and hunted in the fall.
One of the last jobs I had in the AF was to prepare our C130 aircraft for a mission, not knowing they were on there way to Iran for a mission to rescue the hostages. Of course one didn't return after burning up in the desert.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
May 19th, 1935

Lawrence of Arabia, dies as a retired Royal Air Force mechanic living under an assumed name died after succumbing to injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident six days before. He had swerved to avoid two boys on bicycles.

The death of T.E. Lawrence - Lawrence of Arabia - 80 years ago remains shrouded in mystery.

"The incident was over in seconds; the distant roar of a powerful motorcycle, probably travelling far faster than anyone appreciated. And then the cycle was knocked from under a schoolboy, who was left dazed to ponder who it was that was lying face down by the roadside. Only one man on the Isle of Purbeck rode such an expensive motorcycle. That man was Lawrence of Arabia."

True Story.

"When Colonel T.E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") was fatally injured in a motorcycle accident in May 1935, one of the several doctors attending him was a young neurosurgeon, Hugh Cairns. He was moved by the tragedy in a way that was to have far-reaching consequences. At the beginning of the Second World War, he highlighted the unnecessary loss of life among army motorcycle dispatch riders as a result of head injuries. His research concluded that the adoption of crash helmets as standard by both military and civilian motorcyclists would result in considerable saving of life.."

lawrence.jpg Lawrence-of-Arabia.jpg br.jpg

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Posting things us geezers may remember. I was a freshman in HS..

May 18'th 1980:

Mount St. Helens in Washington erupts, causing a massive avalanche and killing 57 people on this day in 1980. Ash from the volcanic eruption fell as far away as Minnesota.

Seismic activity at Mount St. Helens, which is 96 miles south of Seattle, began on March 16. A 4.2-magnitude tremor was recorded four days later and then, on March 23-24, there were 174 different recorded tremors. The first eruption occurred on March 27, when a 250-foot wide vent opened up on top of the mountain. Ash was blasted 10,000 feet in the air, some of which came down nearly 300 miles away in Spokane. The ash caused static electricity and lightning bolts.

Authorities issued a hazard watch for a 50-mile radius around the mountain. The National Guard set up road blocks to prevent access to the area, but these were easily avoided by using the region’s unguarded logging roads. Many residents of the area evacuated, but a substantial number refused. Harry Truman, 84–no relation to the former president–was one resident who refused to move and, after receiving a great deal of positive media coverage for his decision, became a national icon as well as, later, the subject of a local memorial.

View attachment 30212 View attachment 30213
Was News Director at KGNO Radio in Dodge City when that came down the wire...still amazing some of those fools refused to believe that it would happen and paid the price with their lives...

·
Registered
4,507 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
100 years ago today....May 19th 1916... AKA: This is why the Middle East is so Fu**ed Up:rolleyes:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sykes-picot-agreement-helped-messed-215455690.html

Yep... i was going to post it but figured I'd put the motorcycle related one up instead but it is about the SAME group of people end of day.. and they are still a BIG problem today!

"May 19 marks the 100-year anniversary of the Sykes-Picot Agreement, signed by diplomats Sir Mark Sykes and François Georges-Picot to help Britain and France divide the lands of the disintegrating Ottoman Empire. Sykes-Picot began to set the boundaries of what became countries like Iraq and Syria—and that’s been tragic for their citizens." from the link Hoot provided.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
Thanks Jersey!!! O this is going to be a good thread bro!!!! Lovin it so far!!!! Please keep it up!!!! +1 bro!!

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
May 20, 1969

The Battle for Hamburger Hill ends..

After 10 days and 10 bloody assaults, Hill 937 in South Vietnam is finally captured by U.S. and South Vietnamese troops. The Americans who fought there cynically dubbed Hill 937 “Hamburger Hill” because the battle and its high casualty rate reminded them of a meat grinder.

It's stuff like this why wars should not be run from the Capitol Hill..

HH1.jpg hamb-hill.jpg

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
Thanks so much for doing this thread; this one will be great to follow everyday!!! :p

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
I was almost 3 years old... apparently I don't really remember it. I don't even know if it got to the dry side???
Oh it did big time. My best friend was working in Yakima. He was just getting out of church and he said you would have thought Armageddon was here. He said they watched the totally blue sky turn black as night.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
May 20th...

Jimmy Stewart Born in 1908....Charles Lindbergh{who Stewart played in the Lindbergh Bio Movie} begins the first Trans-Atlantic Flight in 1927...and keeping in the Airplane/Flight Thingy...Amelia Earhart begins her first{women} to fly across the Atlantic, leaving Newfoundland on May 20, 1932...

1 - 20 of 145 Posts