TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Dang TMD, there you go again making me jealous ! ! !

Nice pics.

Bag

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peter,

Here is a quick elevation profile of the ride that I made using ArcGis for Home Use.

Fun ride,

Dan

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
You have some wonderful and rugged high altitude land in which to ride. Looks like a blast.

. . . and makes for some nice picture's too!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Well Dan, looks like another great ride and likely wrought with 'less' peril than your last adventure. For me, at 63 I would look at your 'road' and say kind-of rough. As you have an adventure partner, you can 'push the envelope'.

Great pictures and nice 'high' altitude 'trail'. At 46 (
) I suspect you are very skilled (on motorcycles) and can deal with 'anything'. I am curious as to what is taking place for you as to warrant this 'surge' of enviable off-pavement adventures. Take (much) care. Gerry

·
Registered
3 Posts
what sprocket combination do you use? the picture with the atv climbing up an old road looks pretty steep and I know those old mining roads in the mountains can get pretty gnarly. it's nice to have the torque to easily ascend them.

nice pics, the whole lot of them!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what sprocket combination do you use? the picture with the atv climbing up an old road looks pretty steep and I know those old mining roads in the mountains can get pretty gnarly. it's nice to have the torque to easily ascend them.

nice pics, the whole lot of them!

Hi,

I'm just running 14/55 which seems to be a nice compromise for "dual purpose". However, I do have a 13T front sprocket in my toolshed and it would have helped on that rougher earlier motorcycle trail ride. The 55T is great for most atv/jeep roads but on really tough stuff 13/55 would be desirable or the equivalent (14/60). However, since the bike is primarily for 2-up (my wife and I), she would never go with me on a 13/55 trail so I'll probably stick with the 14/55. But, I'll hang onto the 13T as you never know - I do not like the way you have to get to the front sprocket - don't understand why that part is not split. I'm now running 9-lbs/9-lbs in the tires which is much better than the 10/12. 9 is about it in the front as lower than that and the steering gets hard. However, I may try 7 in the back tire. I have the nuts on the valve stems backed off to the cap and have been watching for tire slippage on the rim - none so far. I think that even at 7/9 you would have to make a big mistake to bend the rims and the ride and traction on the rough stuff is much better at 9/9 than 10/12. That back tire is so big that 7 should not be a problem even 2-up on the dirt but would require low speeds on the pavement.

I have noticed the somewhat squirley feel of the front tire on gravel roads and at some point will replace it with a Kenda 510x18 like what I have on the back of my old trials bike and really like - however a real pain to seat the tire properly on the rim. Or, I may try siping the knobs on the front stock tire to see if that helps. The 1st gear on the TW is great so it will pull a lot of hill with the 14/55 but in the very rough and steep a lower gear would allow you to pick your way easier. My 87 trials bike is geared considerably lower than my TW at some sacrifice of top end speed even though it has a 6 speed transmission. A lower gear ratio would allow me to pick my way through the rough stuff easier without beating up the bike - but, none the less, I'm impressed with the TWs 1st gear - even stock and that back tire has great traction at low air pressure. Overall, the bike has an agile feel off road - I like it and the exhaust note is nice - snappy with good torque for a 200. I'm really happy with the trade of my 94 XR650L for it although that was a really wonderful motor too on the 650 - just too much bike for the really rough stuff and if you messed up it was a long way to the ground. The only way 650 could be ridden was on the pegs as there was no using your feet with a 5'10" frame but it did have wonderfully soft long travel suspension and seemingly unlimited power. I have always owned Honda's and the TW is the first Yamaha I've ever owned - I'm impressed.

http://www.rockcrawler-mrt.com/TIRE SIPING SIPER TOOL.html

Dan

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
All that rock in that one pic reminded me of "Pike's peak" and the cog train I rode up years ago. The rocks would get smaller and smaller as you climbed....

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Well Dan, seems we get a bit more of the puzzle... It is sounding more and more like you are a reasonably well seasoned 'extreme' off-pavement type. Guess there is no/less need for us to worry about your choice of off-'road' routes.. Still interested in what has been getting you out on the trail so often. Perhaps you have just grown more comfortable with posting pictures and such.. Gerry

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Dan, seems we get a bit more of the puzzle... It is sounding more and more like you are a reasonably well seasoned 'extreme' off-pavement type. Guess there is no/less need for us to worry about your choice of off-'road' routes.. Still interested in what has been getting you out on the trail so often. Perhaps you have just grown more comfortable with posting pictures and such.. Gerry

Well, I haven't really been able to ride dirt bikes hardly at all for the last 20 years but am now retired (last November) so trying to get out once a week on the bike although retirement does not mean no work - lots to do around here. For the last 20 years I did not give up snowmobiling however and during the winter got out on my Skidoo Tundra once a week or so riding many of the same trails. During the summer I was just too busy getting firewood and getting ready for the winter and besides, the kids took over my reflex. So, now on to the the next stage of life.

Hopefully you don't mind so many pictures - sort of fun to document the rides. I'm also logging some GPS tracks. I enjoy reading about others adventures too.

Dan

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Hopefully you don't mind so many pictures - sort of fun to document the rides. I'm also logging some GPS tracks. I enjoy reading about others adventures too.

Dan

I don't mind your photo's one bit, keep 'em coming, more the merrier!
I have fun documenting my rides as well, even if it's just for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts