1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
NICE!!!!!!!!!!! We were there 2 years ago on our dubs. Went around a curve and it appeared to just drop over the edge. YIKES !!!!!!!!!!! OMM.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Beautifull Paul, taken from Cape Royal on North Rim?
Hope you get more time to spend north of the Colorado once you retire. Maybe we can meet up and ride out to Tuweep (Toroweap) and pee over the edge!:). michele-falzone-toroweap-tuweep-overlook-grand-canyon-national-park-north-rim-ar.jpg .
Who else has been here?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
^^^Nice Fred! I wanna go!

Reactions: ZDR1

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
It is a bit downstream from Moab, but could possibly be visited on your way to or from next year's rondevue. Nice camping to be had right by the rim. I camped under a east facing rock overhang for cool shade yet nice moon and sunrises.One of the best campsites ever! No guardrails and it is a long way down from the overlook @ 4,530 ft to the Colorado almost directly below @ 1700 ft. Toroweap-campground-web.jpg

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Sorry to hijack your sunset thread Paul....feel free to bust my nuts over it..

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Toroweap is right above Lava Falls some 2,800 feet below and roar can be heard when there is no wind. This is the closest one can drive to the river in the Grand Canyon short of Peach Springs ( Diamond Creek) rafters take-out on the south bank where one can camp right on the water's edge.
I would like to return and explore more for a closely guarded secret rock art panel featuring multicolored human forms in an amazingly Australian aboriginal style not seen elsewhere in North America. I like "outlaw archeology" where evidence contrary to the "Clovis First" model of early human habitation is often dismissed or discredited by academia. I tried following crude map and instructions once but got hopelessly lost. Saw lots of traditional pictographs. Website featuring pictures and map link were subsequently taken down possibly to prevent all too common vandalism. The TWs could readily explore a multitude of rough tracks that slowed my four wheeler down.

Reactions: ZDR1 and Weebles

·
Registered
638 Posts
Toroweap is right above Lava Falls some 2,800 feet below and roar can be heard when there is no wind. This is the closest one can drive to the river in the Grand Canyon short of Peach Springs ( Diamond Creek) rafters take-out on the south bank where one can camp right on the water's edge.
I would like to return and explore more for a closely guarded secret rock art panel featuring multicolored human forms in an amazingly Australian aboriginal style not seen elsewhere in North America. I like "outlaw archeology" where evidence contrary to the "Clovis First" model of early human habitation is often dismissed or discredited by academia. I tried following crude map and instructions once but got hopelessly lost. Saw lots of traditional pictographs. Website featuring pictures and map link were subsequently taken down possibly to prevent all too common vandalism. The TWs could readily explore a multitude of rough tracks that slowed my four wheeler down.
My brothers Neighbor belongs to a group that visits panel sites during solstice and equinox events. He says that most of them functioned as calendars and season markers. Some of his stores sounded more like Indiana Jones scripts than reality.

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
In a short time those monkeys will learn to use those rocks on each others' heads and will have moved a step closer to being human.

BTW canyon scenery equal to that is to be seen in Dinosaur monument national park in the canyon of the San Juan.
I slept on the edge of a cliff like that and woke up to an awesome display as the sun rose behind me and lit up the cliffs on the other side.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
phelonius, you should share more of your cryptic, yet enthralling tales. You seem like a no B.S. kind of guy who has experienced more than most of us.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Beautiful pictures. My three girls drove across the U.S. Couple weeks ago and they stopped at the Grand Canyon on July 30. After departing the National Park they witnessed a head on collision just a few cars ahead of them. There was a van of 7 Oriental people of which one spoke English. They tried to pass and collided with an oncoming SUV. My girls all know First Aid and they sprung into action Triaging the people. The injuries ranged from severe head injuries, a broken arm, internal injuries and cuts and bruises. They spent 2 hours working with the medic and there were three people helicoptered out.
I'm proud of my girls. Z do you get the paper in that area?

image.jpg

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Very fine young ladies you have raised Top. Congratulations. They deserve all the best life has to offer.

Tom

Reactions: TopPredator

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
phelonius, you should share more of your cryptic, yet enthralling tales. You seem like a no B.S. kind of guy who has experienced more than most of us.
I was riding a Harley wide glide across the country in 82. About dark I saw the sign that said dinosaur park and pointed north. I turned north and rode on. In the dark I could tell I was gaining altitude by the laboring of the engine but it was too dark to see anything that wasn't in my headlight beam. Finally I slowed to look for a place for the night and saw a dirt turn off between a couple of trees. I rolled far enough off the road to where I figured no headlights could see my tent and stopped. I the dark I pitched tent by feel and went to sleep. I awoke about dawn and crawled out to piss. Imagine my surprise to find myself camped at the edge of a vertical drop of about a half mile. After I zipped up I just stood there amazed as the sun rose at my back and the shadow line crept down on the far canyon wall revealing an awesome color display. I was very glad I had not walked around in the dark as the drop-off was a sharp edge then just air and opportunity all the way to the bottom. I rode away slowly and carefully as the road was slick with millions of giant crickets that covered the road for miles. Each cricket was about an inch and a half long and had no wings. They were only about two inches from each other and extended as far as I could see the ground was black with them. It was sort of scary.
All in all, one of the most memorable mornings of my life. The canyon of the San Juan is stunningly beautiful.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Nice little story P.

Mormon Crickets by the millions, they make the roads slippery when run over. Just like ice.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I'm
I was riding a Harley wide glide across the country in 82. About dark I saw the sign that said dinosaur park and pointed north. I turned north and rode on. In the dark I could tell I was gaining altitude by the laboring of the engine but it was too dark to see anything that wasn't in my headlight beam. Finally I slowed to look for a place for the night and saw a dirt turn off between a couple of trees. I rolled far enough off the road to where I figured no headlights could see my tent and stopped. I the dark I pitched tent by feel and went to sleep. I awoke about dawn and crawled out to piss. Imagine my surprise to find myself camped at the edge of a vertical drop of about a half mile. After I zipped up I just stood there amazed as the sun rose at my back and the shadow line crept down on the far canyon wall revealing an awesome color display. I was very glad I had not walked around in the dark as the drop-off was a sharp edge then just air and opportunity all the way to the bottom. I rode away slowly and carefully as the road was slick with millions of giant crickets that covered the road for miles. Each cricket was about an inch and a half long and had no wings. They were only about two inches from each other and extended as far as I could see the ground was black with them. It was sort of scary.
All in all, one of the most memorable mornings of my life. The canyon of the San Juan is stunningly beautiful.
P that is a captivating story. I shutter at the thought of what could have happened. The morning sunrise must have been amazing just knowing you were so close to not seeing it. WOW

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Great story phelonius! Also Top Predator's daughter's assistance is impressive, he should be rightfully proud. These are all good tales to share, let's hear more! If not I'll end up just boring you all with how I walked off a cliff in Kauai in pitch blackness only to land in a tree top. My Guardian Angel certainly worked overtime that night as I inched my way back up unsure of my route.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts