TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil on my 2020 today. 96 miles. It had quite a bit of metal. Is this about normal?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Reassurance the filter is doing its job. Ride on!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
No, don't. Re-use that OEM filter until 2040! That way you will never put in the wrong filter from the right box, and you will find it easier to inspect any crud as you rinse it with kerosene or gas and a toothbrush into a glass jar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I changed mine at 81 kms looked similar only it had no metal.... the debris in my filter was sort of like a booger .. I had full intent on reusing the filter but got a new one just in case .... good thing cause the original was super stuck in the engine... when I finally got it out the black rubber seal was ripped in the middle.
B1DB9247-5B70-4D4A-B43D-D58239E45520.jpeg
B87ED4B9-303D-4460-8F7E-592B35BE50F5.jpeg
AD276B46-95E1-42B0-A8CD-01B88624F70B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
No, don't. Re-use that OEM filter until 2040! That way you will never put in the wrong filter from the right box, and you will find it easier to inspect any crud as you rinse it with kerosene or gas and a toothbrush into a glass jar.
Yes...DO.
The KN143 or HF143 are superior filters and if you compare them to the original - to make sure there are "holes" where they belong - it will be fine.
You can put the OEM filter in a jar and replace it when you sell the bike for a newer model. Then...you'll have a KN143 on hand to replace the OEM filter.
Lather...rinse...repeat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had full intent on reusing the filter but got a new one just in case .... good thing cause the original was super stuck in the engine... when I finally got it out the black rubber seal was ripped in the middle.
Exactly what happened to my OEM filter. Like it was glued on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I usually have 2x spares , reason being when I change oil/ filter I do it by annually and I swap out a re cleaned filter for dirty and then re clean other filter , And yes , the black rubber seals on filters do deteriorate, so if they are badly squashed, I would assume they don’t seal properly against mating surfaces inside filter housing ( poss lack of filtering or maybe loss of pressure to top end of cyl head ?) that little engine is working really hard at the best of times so that oil/ filter is doing its best to do its job and I have found even though I use quality fully synthetic motul 300v double Ester 10/40 oil it can start to degrade quite quickly , ie the colour changes quicker in this small engine rather than in bigger engines I have found poss due to high heat I’m not saying it’s lost it’s lubricating properties, but would have to assume it’s cleaning properties are diminishing , but I have always used quality oil and oem oil filters in all my internal combustion type engines , I can honestly say that the cheaper aftermarket type oil filters don’t filter as good as oem items , ie some customers want when having servicing done on vehicles but that is normally down to a overall inclusive price for service ,I’m not including k&n ) as they are normally good , I know a lot of members may think I am “ overkill “ on this subject but the cleaner you can internally keep that engine the longer it will last before full rebuild in my professional opinion

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The spare oil filter 5H0-13440-09 that I bought about 5 years ago is pleated. Still in box until needed

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes , Yamaha brand oil filter is pleated... I’m not sure if this is always the case but it was couple weeks ago.
I've bought 6 so far. 2 were pleated. 4 were not. All straight from a Yamaha dealer near me. Bought at different times. I guess they use different suppliers for their filters. They are cheap enough that I just replace it rather than clean it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts